Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trying to make sense of the US education system

Trying to make sense of the US education system

Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trying to make sense of the US education system

Hi, I'm coming out here early next year as the trailing spouse as there's a reasonable chance I'll be landed on an H4 visa, which means I won't be able to work.

Thought I should think about going back to university as I'm contemplating a major career change anyway (though not sure what to just yet!)

Does anyone know of any websites that explain US college requirements in Brit-speak? I already have a degree but as I'm looking at a career change, I 'm trying to establish whether I need to go back to being an undergraduate again, but am somewhat baffled by all the jargon!

thanks!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to make sense of the US education system

Originally Posted by MadRad
Does anyone know of any websites that explain US college requirements in Brit-speak? I already have a degree but as I'm looking at a career change, I 'm trying to establish whether I need to go back to being an undergraduate again, but am somewhat baffled by all the jargon!
Like so many other things in the US everything is different.

Your best bet is just to start looking at the web sites of individual colleges and universities that look interesting to you and trying to figure out what they require. Pretty much all of them have a section that describes the admissions procedures for "international students" - not all of the will apply tp you but the information regarding basic requirements should be helpful

What degree(s) do you currently have and what were you thinking of studying in the US?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I know at least one friend who has done an MA online through a UK university and it was a lot cheaper than going to a US uni.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:28 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Fulbright site is a good starting point.

http://www.fulbright.co.uk/study-in-the-us

Not sure about grad or undergrad, but I know that a lot of graduate courses have specific requirements, so if your current undergrad is not covered, then you would have to start at undergrad.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I know at least one friend who has done an MA online through a UK university and it was a lot cheaper than going to a US uni.
my missus....Kings £3K per year, North Eastern $20K per year for a similar MA.

To the OP, just look at the kind of course your interested in studying, check the universities out in the area and ask them directly as each place will have different requirements, but a degree is still a degree and changing careers isn't a major hassle generally, but then it depends if the uni has specific requirements in which case you might have to take a foundation type of thing to get those credits first, though for mature students they can and do waive those requirements.

Paying for the course would be my major concern as you'll be paying international rates which aren't cheap...a possible consideration would be getting a F1 student visa instead because you'd then at least be able to do on campus part time work after the first semester of the course.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most universities will have an office of 'International Students' which will have some folks who can speak to just about all your questions, from qualifications to financial aid. Worth taking a look at the schools in your area to see what is available.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
a possible consideration would be getting a F1 student visa instead because you'd then at least be able to do on campus part time work after the first semester of the course.
Certainly worth considering but in practice the number of students on F1 visas usually greatly exceeds the number of available on-campus jobs so I wouldn't rely on this as a source of income.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:15 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
my missus....Kings £3K per year, North Eastern $20K per year for a similar MA.
Yep. I'm about to fill in the forms for one at Portsmouth. Only £1540 a year! Also, Dan on here has done one, at another UK uni.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Certainly worth considering but in practice the number of students on F1 visas usually greatly exceeds the number of available on-campus jobs so I wouldn't rely on this as a source of income.
aye, there is that...something to ask the uni the OP is interested in if there could be any admin work etc.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep. I'm about to fill in the forms for one at Portsmouth. Only £1540 a year! Also, Dan on here has done one, at another UK uni.
aye, it's mad isn't it...and the £3K was the international rate
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:32 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Just a thought, does a H4 visa count as resident for the purposes of tuition? My thinking is that after a year residence (I think) you qualify for the in state tuition rate which is much cheaper than the out of state rate. I think the difference would be more than you would earn working on an F1 for 20 hours a week unless it included a tuition waiver.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by zargof
Just a thought, does a H4 visa count as resident for the purposes of tuition?
Depends on the institution, some will, some won't.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, loads of advice, thank you!

My UK degrees are in history - I have a good MA and an MPhil. Most of my work experience has been in the finance sector.

Thing is, I've never wanted an office job and that's always what I've had! So I'm going right back to the drawing board and contemplating doing something radically different, maybe something scientific. Possibly even medicine or something along those lines.

Looks like the uni's near where I'll be will count me as a resident after a year, which is good. If I do something 'science-y' it looks like I'll need to do prerequisite courses first anyway. I can take the hit on fees for a non-resident for a year if required.

If I'm going to do something drastic like move to the US I may as well go the whole hog and change my career while I'm at it!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are just looking to do a year of 'pre-med' you might consider a community college to knock those out. They often have lower rates than other schools, and if it is basic Chemistry 101 or something like that you might be able to get those pre-requisites out of the way there.

Of course medicine is a very very long process. You might look at something related to the field but not necessarily requiring med school.

Or hell, go really to town and take up anthropology or paleontology and get out in the field to do your research.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:13 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, it's mad isn't it...and the £3K was the international rate
Yep. I've long suspected that delivering an education is only a secondary goal for US institutions. Their primary goal being to screw the student for ever last penny. Just look at undergrad degrees - 4 years and compulsory poetry on science courses...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.