Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trying to make sense of the US education system

Trying to make sense of the US education system

Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to make sense of the US education system

Originally Posted by penguinsix

Of course medicine is a very very long process.

Actually, my six years went really fast. OP - if you are seriously considering doing a health-related course, feel free to PM me
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Or hell, go really to town and take up anthropology or paleontology and get out in the field to do your research.
These used to be the two areas of interest for my Son, he has wanted to be a paleontologist since he was 4 years old! Now that he is actually having to seriously chose his 'path' he finds out that most of the jobs for paleontologists are in teaching! He just wants to work out in the field and is completely against anything to do with teaching!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
These used to be the two areas of interest for my Son, he has wanted to be a paleontologist since he was 4 years old! Now that he is actually having to seriously chose his 'path' he finds out that most of the jobs for paleontologists are in teaching! He just wants to work out in the field and is completely against anything to do with teaching!
Ha! I'm an egineer, and I can't stand my office style job. I'm actually looking into how to become a math teacher. I've never taught in my life, but I figure it can't be any worse than dealing with the a$$holes and morons I work w/right now.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ha! I'm an egineer, and I can't stand my office style job. I'm actually looking into how to become a math teacher. I've never taught in my life, but I figure it can't be any worse than dealing with the a$$holes and morons I work w/right now.
Good luck sweety...not sure I could be a teacher, I know a few that love it though.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

LOL as a teacher you end up dealing with a$$holes and morons who have tenure ;-)
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Math teachers are highly sought after at all times. They are hired on the spot without teaching credentials while other disciplines are being laid off. The only proviso is to work on obtaining the credentials while you teach.

Math and science backgrounds are highly sought after.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep. I've long suspected that delivering an education is only a secondary goal for US institutions. Their primary goal being to screw the student for ever last penny. Just look at undergrad degrees - 4 years and compulsory poetry on science courses...
.......and that is only the beginning, as you are then hounded for money for the priviledge of being an alumni.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:45 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CelticRover
.......and that is only the beginning, as you are then hounded for money for the priviledge of being an alumni.
Yeah, but my old college in England does that, so I don't count it as a distinguishing characteristic. Still pisses me off though.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:45 am
LaCarteraEnLaCocina

Nits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to allNits22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MadRad
Wow, loads of advice, thank you!
Looks like the uni's near where I'll be will count me as a resident after a year, which is good. If I do something 'science-y' it looks like I'll need to do prerequisite courses first anyway. I can take the hit on fees for a non-resident for a year if required.
Check with the school you choose. Sometimes if you start as a foreign student, it's hard to change your status to resident after a year. You may eb better off waiting for a year.

That's what I found on a Q&A section for an university in VT at least. You never know.

I absolutely love the US, I'm having a great time here, but I was spoiled before with my free universal health care and free college U_U
I do miss those two.

Last edited by Nits22; Aug 30th 2009 at 10:47 am.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yeah, but my old college in England does that, so I don't count it as a distinguishing characteristic. Still pisses me off though.
My old uni just sends a magazine every year of what students have done, there's a slip at the back for donations with a prepaid envelope.

The missus, her college here sends pleas every couple of months for money and not just money, for prizes for annual auction and things they ask for include a week holiday in a castle in Prague, skiing pass for a week at Sugarloaf and all kinds of really expensive stuff.

Bit off putting that, especially when we're still paying off the boat load of money it cost her to study there
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Math teachers are highly sought after at all times. They are hired on the spot without teaching credentials while other disciplines are being laid off. The only proviso is to work on obtaining the credentials while you teach.

Math and science backgrounds are highly sought after.
Not true everywhere, my neighbours daughter has a Masters in education and teaches HS math, she got laid off at the end of last school year and still hasn't found another job, she is now working in a gym so she can pay her bills.