Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trump and the UK thoughts and comments

Trump and the UK thoughts and comments

Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trump and the UK thoughts and comments

Hello UK-USA Expats!!!

I recently moved to Canada just to throw that out there.

I'm interested to here the opinion of UK expats living in the USA on this particular topic.

What do you think of the trump presidency so far?

So far trump has indicated over his campaign and meeting with the UK prime minster that there will be a UK - USA trade agreement.

I believe immigration will be relaxed between the two countries and tightened up for anyone outside of the clique, this is just my opinion but it seems highly likely. The same with Canada and countries with close USA ties. I don't necessarily see this as good or bad, but I do see this as very interesting politics watching from the fence.

I'm interested to here from you USA UK expats.

Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump and the UK thoughts and comments

There are countless threads already that discuss the US president
Old Jan 28th 2017, 1:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
... that there will be a UK - USA trade agreement.
There's already a UK/US tax treaty... it'd shouldn't be too hard to demonstrate that a trade agreement already exists.

I believe immigration will be relaxed between the two countries...
I doubt it. It's already more difficult for Canadians, and it's not going to get any easier for Brits. Trump will likely make it more difficult for everyone rather than show favoritism to anyone.

... and tightened up for anyone outside of the clique...
I agree, but it's going to get harder for all - including the UK and Canada.

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2017, 1:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as he builds the wall.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

There is a photograph of Trump and May holding hands. Why did she let him do that? Would he have held a male head of state's hand? The image is demeaning makes her look like a schoolgirl holding daddy's hand.
I hope she gets that hand scrubbed and disinfected. We know where it's been.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

Borders between countries with no benefit for the US will get tighter.

It's naive to think that borders between countries of worth are actually going to get tighter. UK has worth in terms of market area (70 million people pact into a space the size of California)

Think about this scenario.

UK-US trade deal happens. If it happened without a visa deal or migration deal, trump would be leaving the door open for yet more manufacturing and companies to move from the US somewhere else at a cost of US jobs of course. It would go against his protectionism argument.

How does he counteract this? With visa and migration deals so he can say '' we have a great deal now where us people and businesses can expand companies to the UK market and vice versa.

This is all trump talk of course. He's already said all these things during the rallies and campaign.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:41 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
There is a photograph of Trump and May holding hands. Why did she let him do that? Would he have held a male head of state's hand? The image is demeaning makes her look like a schoolgirl holding daddy's hand.
I hope he didn't try to hold anything else.

Seriously, the rise of nationalism in the the old anglo saxon countries is terrifying me having grown up in the UK with it being in the EU. BREXiT and Trump are backwards moves and both the US and the UK will suffer.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:43 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

How does he counteract this? With visa and migration deals so he can say '' we have a great deal now where us people and businesses can expand companies to the UK market and vice versa.
Would US visa relaxation include all British citizens?
Old Jan 28th 2017, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

Seriously, the rise of nationalism in the the old anglo saxon countries is terrifying me having grown up in the UK with it being in the EU. BREXiT and Trump are backwards moves and both the US and the UK will suffer.
The EU may be toast, especially if Le Pen wins in April. There may not be a EU for Britain to return to. The world is changing.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 8:25 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

UK has worth in terms of market area (70 million people pact into a space the size of California)

I don't know about the pact, maybe May and Trump are keeping it a secret for the time being.

But anyway,
CA - 423,970 sq km
UK - 243,610 sq km

I'm no statistician but those are different sizes.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

In the video for that, it looks like they were walking down steps and she looked she struggled a bit due to her heels, so maybe he was actually being a gentleman for once...
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's naive to think that borders between countries of worth are actually going to get tighter.
It has already happened... so I suggest that it's your premise that's naive.

... 70 million people pact into a space the size of California.
I think you mean packed. A pact is a formal agreement. No charge!

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:16 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I though the same thing, awkward to say the least.

He better not try that sh*t with The Queen.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

Indeed.

Now there is this sort of garbage being promulgated here.

"“ISIS will come for our women”. That’s how one resident expressed his fears about the proposed settling of refugees in the US state of Montana."

Fears about Muslim refugees settling in the American West - BBC News
Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:28 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Hello UK-USA Expats!!!

I recently moved to Canada just to throw that out there.

I'm interested to here the opinion of UK expats living in the USA on this particular topic.

What do you think of the trump presidency so far?

So far trump has indicated over his campaign and meeting with the UK prime minster that there will be a UK - USA trade agreement.

I believe immigration will be relaxed between the two countries and tightened up for anyone outside of the clique, this is just my opinion but it seems highly likely. The same with Canada and countries with close USA ties. I don't necessarily see this as good or bad, but I do see this as very interesting politics watching from the fence.

I'm interested to here from you USA UK expats.

Since he won square and fair I'm willing to give the man a chance even though I voted for Hillary.

As for immigration between the UK and US I wonder if a British Muslim might not have a problem when landing at JFK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.