trifle recipe

Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:21 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Smile trifle recipe

Hi,

Anyone got a good trifle recipe they can give me? Went to the UK with my American husband recetly and he tasted trifle (Marks and Spencer's, to be specific) and is in love with it. I have never made it in my life. Need a recipe that uses ingredients avaliable in a US supermarket!

What type of cream do I buy for the whipped cream bit? I have birds custard powder at home for the custard.

Cheers!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: trifle recipe

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Hi,

Anyone got a good trifle recipe they can give me? Went to the UK with my American husband recetly and he tasted trifle (Marks and Spencer's, to be specific) and is in love with it. I have never made it in my life. Need a recipe that uses ingredients avaliable in a US supermarket!

What type of cream do I buy for the whipped cream bit? I have birds custard powder at home for the custard.

Cheers!
YES!! YES!! OMG YES! Let me go and get it....
It takes some preparation, but is DEFINITELY worth it. I have tweaked the recipe using more custard, less sugar and far more alcohol. This is from a US cookbook called 'Christmas Memories Cookbook' from Mystic Seaport

1 angel food cake plus a couple more slices (they come in 10 oz slabs where I am - you can also use pound cake, whatever that is.)
1 16 oz pack of frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed.
1 1/2 cups unsweeetened blueberries, frozen or fresh
1 1/2 cups unsweetened raspberries or blackberries, frozen or fresh
3 oz pecans or walnuts, chopped and toasted
1/4 cup brandy, sherry or liqueur of choice (bollocks - put in about 1/2 cup)

CUSTARD:
6 egg yolks
2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 cups of milk, scalded
2 tablespoons liqueur
1 tsp vanilla extract
butter

large carton of heavy whipping cream.

1. DO NOT bloody well give in and use Bird's Instant custard. I'll be annoyed if you do. Make custard: Beat egg yolks with sugar. Beat in flour. Slowly add scalded milk. Put mixture into a metal bowl and place on top of a pan of boiling water. Stir till thick, keep stirring and cooking for two-three mins till flour is cooked. If you're like me, it's going to be lumpy - keep whisking it and if need be, put it through a sieve. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and liqueur. Brush melted butter gently over top (to stop skin from forming) and leave to cool a bit.

2. Combine fruit, nuts and alcohol. In fact, do this before making custard.

3. In your trifle bowl, layer slices of cake, and the fruit and nut mix. Give the custard a stir then pour on top of cake/fruit layers, then top with whipped cream. You can sweeten the whipped cream, if you like, but all that sugar's just for cissies if you ask me. Refrigerate for a while.

I promise - it's worth the effort. It's supposed to yield 10 servings, but I find it yields about 2.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:01 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks ElaineQ, sounds yummy but quite hard work...will have to make the effort though...I do miss trifle!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Pound cake is a heavy, dense, buttery cake (hence the name) as opposed to angel food which is light..
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:14 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I am a slacker and make a quick version using jaffa cakes instead of the angel cakes, add some sort of fruit with the jelly (add booze if needed), then use birds custard topped by any store whipping cream (apparently I am a sissy as I like to add a little sugar to sweeten when I whisk) and then toasted almonds on top (or flake). It is my trailer park version of ElaineQ's trifle but works in a pinch!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:34 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a complete slacker when it comes to trifle too.

I just use the brandy and don't bother with the other ingredients.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 2:37 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Titchski
I'm a complete slacker when it comes to trifle too.

I just use the brandy and don't bother with the other ingredients.
That's my boy I use sherry in mine