Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:20 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default IHG Rewards Flash Sale on Monday - up to 75% off

View From the Wing reports on this flash sale on select properties, from the hotel programme formerly known as Priority Club.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:21 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Website that finds throwaway and hidden city fares

Not miles-related, but a new website has appeared that will actually search for hidden city and throwaway ticketing fares for you! Can't see this lasting for long...

View From the Wing reports.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IHG Rewards Flash Sale on Monday - up to 75% off

Originally Posted by tonrob
View From the Wing reports on this flash sale on select properties, from the hotel programme formerly known as Priority Club.
Thanks for the heads up. Were in the UK at present , enjoying our 2 night stay at the Hyatt Churchill.......club room, I realized if you redeem a club room for the first night with points you get the same room the following day if you redeem a credit card reward night. I feel a bit bad really as I wrote it was our anniversary on the online booking form, ( it's not ), I thought we may get an upgrade, instead they left us a card a cake and a bottle of champagne , I feel a bit of a cad, but the cake was nice.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:01 pm
Septic Sprout

Default AA Shopping Portal bonus

Up to 2,500 bonus miles via the AA shopping portal until 2nd December.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:50 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Very useful thread on Marriott discounts

At Flyertalk, here.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:53 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Hyatt gift cards 10% off

Hyatt Gold Passport members get a 10% discount on Hyatt Gift Cards – up to a maximum of $2,000 in card purchases. Go to certificates.hyatt.com and enter your membership # and promo code GPGIFT at checkout. These are valid Hyatt hotels and resorts in U.S., Canada and Caribbean.

Offer expires end of December.

Edit: Pay with an AMEX business credit card that has OPEN savings and get a 5% statement rebate, so 15% off in total.

Then make your Hyatt booking by navigating via a portal first: Ebates offers 2% cash back and TopCashBack offers a 3% rebate on Hyatt bookings.

Last edited by tonrob; Nov 19th 2013 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:55 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Modest increases in Chase Sapphire and Freedom bonuses

These are both great cards and well worth having (Mrs tonrob and I have both), so if you were thinking of pulling the trigger on these then now would be a good time.

Mommy Points explains.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:05 pm
Septic Sprout

Default My latest card applications

As I'm swimming in miles and points right now (4 million or so) then I figured I'd look at cashback cards as a way of offsetting the remaining out of pocket spend I have to make on travel and therefore render it as close-to-free as possible.

I focused on two cards to begin with, applying for both:

Discover IT

Never had a discover card before, but there's no annual fee, 5% cashback each quarter on a series of rotating categories (Q4 is online shopping - so very broad) and, more importantly, access to the ShopDiscover portal that gives some very lucrative cashback opportunities that stack with the cashback on the card. Example: 5% Walmart bonus at ShopDiscover stacks with 5% online retailer quarterly bonus so 10% off purchases at walmart.com.

Some are even better, e.g. 10% off Sears at ShopDiscover. Stacks with the online card bonus and also Plink giving 21% off at Sears.

AMEX Blue Preferred

$75 annual fee on this one but 6% off each year at grocery stores (on first $6k of spend). Guess I'll be buying a lot of apples in December, and then again in January...

I always like to make the most out of any card application splurge, so couldn't help tossing in yet another Citi Hilton card, which was of course approved. They love it.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:12 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modest increases in Chase Sapphire and Freedom bonuses

These are both great cards and well worth having (Mrs tonrob and I have both), so if you were thinking of pulling the trigger on these then now would be a good time.

Mommy Points explains.
Thanks! Just got this (Chase Sapphire)!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

My only annoyance with Discover is that they hold payments from new customers in 'pending' status for a ridiculous amount of time whilst they do fraud checks, if they're for large amounts. My husband had to wait about 2 weeks for a 2k payment to clear and they didn't even backdate the payment to when he originally sent it, which meant that he incurred interest.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:35 pm
Septic Sprout

Default Top 13 Ways To Get To The Maldives Using Miles and Points

The Points Guy summarizes - thought I'd share in case anyone needed any mileage-earning motivation!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:36 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by NatashaB
My only annoyance with Discover is that they hold payments from new customers in 'pending' status for a ridiculous amount of time whilst they do fraud checks, if they're for large amounts. My husband had to wait about 2 weeks for a 2k payment to clear and they didn't even backdate the payment to when he originally sent it, which meant that he incurred interest.
Hmmm.... that doesn't sound good. I'll report back how I get on with my first payment.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 9:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I've also just taken a Marriott CC offer for 70,000 points, I actually mainly did this for the elite status (it takes me to Gold which I otherwise wouldn't have achieved)

•70,000 points after $1,000 spent in first 3 months after account opening
•5 points for every $1 spent at over 3,600 Marriott® locations*
•2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants*
•1 point for every $1 spent on purchases anywhere else*

•15 Elite credits toward your next membership level after account
approval and every year after account anniversary*
•1 Elite credit for every $3,000 spent*

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/mar...emier/70p1ksh/
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:45 pm
Septic Sprout

Default 500 free Amtrak points

By adding your AGR account to Google Wallet via the latter's iPhone/Android app. Just done it for myself and family members - refreshes expiry date for another two years as well.

500 applies to first 10,000 to do it, 100 thereafter.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:24 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modest increases in Chase Sapphire and Freedom bonuses

I wouldn't use the Hyatt credit card to earn Hyatt points. I'd get it for the sign-up bonus (2 free nights) and the annual bonus (1 free night which is worth far more than the annual fee). I wouldn't spend another cent on the card after hitting the threshold to trigger the initial bonus. I spend using Ultimate Rewards earning cards, as those points easily convert to Hyatt and also a number of other programmes so makes things a lot more flexible.

Bit pissed off by the Hyatt devaluation, but in reality it doesn't affect too many properties and I get my points for cheap anyway. It's the nature if the game really. I'd probably be more pissed off if I earned by Hyatt points through staying at their hotels though.

Mommy Points explains.
I decided to go for the Chase offer. Thanks for the heads up.

Can you book using points through a website, or do you usually have to call? I like browsing, and trying different things before I decide on exactly what I'm going to do. Having to call always puts me off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.