Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance for Visiting Elderly Parents

Travel Insurance for Visiting Elderly Parents

Old May 3rd 2022, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Insurance for Visiting Elderly Parents

Hi
My mum and dad (80 and 85) will be visiting from the UK for 3 weeks this summer. They have used the travel insurance from their bank in the past but have now aged out of that. Does anyone have any recommendations for an insurer? My dad does have a number of medical problems that put many off. We know the cost is going to be high but this will probably be the last time they can come and visit.
Thanks
Old May 3rd 2022, 9:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance for Visiting Elderly Parents

I seem to recall my mother using Saga in her eighties. No idea of the cost.
Old May 3rd 2022, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I seem to recall my mother using Saga in her eighties. No idea of the cost.
MIL was approx 83, the usual problems that most that age have…BP, etc…cost approx £1K for 3 weeks. I had problems finding insurance as the doctor changed her BP meds a month before she was due to leave the UK. I can’t remember the name of the insurance company who eventually agreed to cover her.
Old May 4th 2022, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
MIL was approx 83, the usual problems that most that age have…BP, etc…cost approx £1K for 3 weeks. I had problems finding insurance as the doctor changed her BP meds a month before she was due to leave the UK. I can’t remember the name of the insurance company who eventually agreed to cover her.
My mom used to visit me regularly in the US, but her last visit (6 weeks) at age 85 was really expensive; I recall it was more expensive than the plane ticket - probably close to what you paid (1k GBP). I believe there were exceptions too, as she suffered from heart failure ... so I don't think they would have covered her had she had a heart issue during the visit.

I presume Covid complicates this also.
Old May 4th 2022, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My mom used to visit me regularly in the US, but her last visit (6 weeks) at age 85 was really expensive; I recall it was more expensive than the plane ticket - probably close to what you paid (1k GBP). I believe there were exceptions too, as she suffered from heart failure ... so I don't think they would have covered her had she had a heart issue during the visit.

I presume Covid complicates this also.
Isn’t the main benefit of travel health insurance that it covers air ambulance to get home in case of serious health issue. Meaning that, if heart failure was excluded, she’d have had to pay whatever necessary for stabilizing procedure to get her back to uk safely.
Old May 4th 2022, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember, my IL's used an insurance through the post office, but that was quite a few years ago, and they used one from Saga on another occasion. Both were expensive according to FIL. Whatever insurance they use, make sure it includes repatriation home by air ambulance if there is even a possibility of that being needed.
Old May 4th 2022, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

World First covers elderly and/or pre-existing conditions. Coverage appears comprehensive, but it is on the pricey side.

We got my wife's grandfather (90YO with multiple health issues) and used them.

Old May 5th 2022, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Will pass on your suggestions and will update once they are booked with who they used.
Old May 5th 2022, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
Thanks everyone. Will pass on your suggestions and will update once they are booked with who they used.
Please make sure the policy is watertight…that it covers all existing health problems, travel back to the UK in case of an emergency etc. You will probably find that if a doctor prescribes new meds or changes existing meds, within 3 mths of travel, you must inform the insurance company.
Old May 5th 2022, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
World First covers elderly and/or pre-existing conditions. Coverage appears comprehensive, but it is on the pricey side.

We got my wife's grandfather (90YO with multiple health issues) and used them.
Any idea what you / they paid?
Old May 6th 2022, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I can't remember exactly as it was 2016 when he came over (he's still alive and just had 98th b'day). ISTR it was in the region of £2k for 2 weeks.

However, this was for a 92YO war veteran (still has shrapnel), with history of triple bypass, high BP, and prostate cancer. All declared medical issues were covered for this price and there was repatriation covered in there too.

I used WF multiple times when visiting UK>US due to a significant pre-existing condition. I found them pretty good and sensible screening questions specific to my illness to determine premium.
Old May 7th 2022, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
Honestly, I can't remember exactly as it was 2016 when he came over (he's still alive and just had 98th b'day). ISTR it was in the region of £2k for 2 weeks.

However, this was for a 92YO war veteran (still has shrapnel), with history of triple bypass, high BP, and prostate cancer. All declared medical issues were covered for this price and there was repatriation covered in there too.

I used WF multiple times when visiting UK>US due to a significant pre-existing condition. I found them pretty good and sensible screening questions specific to my illness to determine premium.
Wow, Good for you, paying $2k for only 2 weeks! That's dedication!
Old May 8th 2022, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please make sure the policy is watertight…that it covers all existing health problems, travel back to the UK in case of an emergency etc.
I don't know about UK policies, but many US policies will medically evacuate you only to the nearest "suitable" hospital, usually in the country you're visiting. Well worth looking closely at the policy details on this. I've bought medical evacuation insurance this year and chose a policy that would get me back to a hospital local to my home in San Francisco.
Old May 10th 2022, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't know about UK policies, but many US policies will medically evacuate you only to the nearest "suitable" hospital, usually in the country you're visiting. Well worth looking closely at the policy details on this. I've bought medical evacuation insurance this year and chose a policy that would get me back to a hospital local to my home in San Francisco.
I presume this is for your upcoming trip to South America that I believe you've mentioned elsewhere? What's the current state of travel insurance in regards specifically to Covid, these days? I'm considering a leisure trip to Portugal later this year. Since I've never been to Portugal before, and don't speak a word of Portuguese, I don't relish the thought of getting covid while traveling around there, and I presume getting Covid coverage would be seem to be essential (you could answer this in the Covid thread if you think it's more appropriate).

Old May 10th 2022, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I presume this is for your upcoming trip to South America that I believe you've mentioned elsewhere? What's the current state of travel insurance in regards specifically to Covid, these days? I'm considering a leisure trip to Portugal later this year. Since I've never been to Portugal before, and don't speak a word of Portuguese, I don't relish the thought of getting covid while traveling around there, and I presume getting Covid coverage would be seem to be essential (you could answer this in the Covid thread if you think it's more appropriate).
I’m not buying travel insurance per se. I did buy a yearly medical evacuation policy before my January hiking trip to Mexico. That, as I alluded to, would medically evacuate me back to San Francisco. For health insurance I’m using my Medicare supplementary plan. For trip cancellation/interruption credit card coverage. That does cover Covid but not pre-existing conditions.

The biggest risk in all this is the US’s ridiculous requirement to get a test the day before departure. Crazy, when you think of Covid levels in parts of the US and all the maskless people flying around. But if I do test positive at that point there are a ton of cheap hotels where I’m staying in Lima at the end of the trip. And no requirement by Peru to quarantine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.