Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Train Drivers (locomotive engineer)

Train Drivers (locomotive engineer)

Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train Drivers (locomotive engineer)

Ok ... someone post a piccy of a 'BRUSH 4" I have no idea what it was but in my teenage years a friend of mine would go and have a wank if he saw one

He was a seriously depraved train spotter
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Ok ... someone post a piccy of a 'BRUSH 4" I have no idea what it was but in my teenage years a friend of mine would go and have a wank if he saw one

He was a seriously depraved train spotter
A brush 4

The Brush type 4 prototype Falcon achieved cult status in what was a relatively short service life. Built in 1961 at the Brush works in Loughborough and powered by two 12-cylinder Maybach MD655 engines, as used on the Western regions' Western class, Falcon coupled these power units to an electric transmission. Released for trials on the Eastern region of British Railways, further trials on the Western region followed, comparing the locomotive with the similarly powered Westerns. Returning to the Eastern region in 1962 it was regularly allocated to haul Pullman services. Following the completion of the type 4 prototype trails Falcon was purchased by BR and transferred to the Western region, where maintenance staff were fully trained on the Maybach engines.

Last edited by Ray; Aug 25th 2008 at 3:23 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Train drivers here have an extreemely boring life from what I see

They do a max of 55 mph (except the Acceler that only runs from Washington DC to Boston) They are sometimes over 2 miles long and as it is all mainly just single libnes everywhere outside the city the chances of seeing another train going the other way to waive at is very remote
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
A brush 4

The Brush type 4 prototype Falcon achieved cult status in what was a relatively short service life. Built in 1961 at the Brush works in Loughborough and powered by two 12-cylinder Maybach MD655 engines, as used on the Western regions' Western class, Falcon coupled these power units to an electric transmission. Released for trials on the Eastern region of British Railways, further trials on the Western region followed, comparing the locomotive with the similarly powered Westerns. Returning to the Eastern region in 1962 it was regularly allocated to haul Pullman services. Following the completion of the type 4 prototype trails Falcon was purchased by BR and transferred to the Western region, where maintenance staff were fully trained on the Maybach engines.

http://glostransporthistory.visit-gl...er%20train.jpg
I have seen loco's like that before My Dad called them 'Class 47's' though

Thanks Raymondo
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen loco's like that before My Dad called them 'Class 47's' though

Thanks Raymondo
Their numbers always started with 47

Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the 47 was AFAIK the most successful diesel loco ever used on the British Railways (if you go buy number of units produced).

My favourite was the class 58....nice.....
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Yep the 47 was AFAIK the most successful diesel loco ever used on the British Railways (if you go buy number of units produced).

My favourite was the class 58....nice.....
Found one .............. Now thats really sad
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_nXAL...777111/**http%
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:07 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Now thats really sad
you took the words out of my mouth.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

The link doesn't work for me.

Well what can I say.....my train spotting days set me up for a nice career in..... IT!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Trekguy is on a distinguished road

Hi

I am a Driver (Southern) as well and I am moving to Kentucky via marriage to USC and after a lot of digging I have found that I will probably be having a change in career as the road to a driver is not an easy one start you start as a freight conductor and the terms and conditions compared to the UK are extremely poor
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trekguy
....and the terms and conditions compared to the UK are extremely poor
That goes for almost any job here!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:56 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trekguy
Hi

I am a Driver (Southern) as well and I am moving to Kentucky via marriage to USC and after a lot of digging I have found that I will probably be having a change in career as the road to a driver is not an easy one start you start as a freight conductor and the terms and conditions compared to the UK are extremely poor
Hi:

The Los Angeles MetroLink system will be going over to two "engineers" ["driver" in UK-speak] rather that the current one. That recent collision here has caused some rethinking of things -- the death of 25 people [plus one foreign exchange student in a coma for the last month] gets peoples' attention.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:16 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Their numbers always started with 47

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/...b51d7d.jpg?v=0
That's an absolute corker, that is!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:26 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The Los Angeles MetroLink system will be going over to two "engineers" ["driver" in UK-speak] rather that the current one. That recent collision here has caused some rethinking of things -- the death of 25 people [plus one foreign exchange student in a coma for the last month] gets peoples' attention.
Will they introduce a rule to ban sending 50 text messages per hour whilst driving a train, or will that be blocked by the union?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder if the same will apply to buses, or trucks, or cars?

If not, why not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.