Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Today I am a real American

Today I am a real American

Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Today I am a real American

JURY SUMMONS!!!!!

Quick, how do I get out of it :-)
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today I am a real American

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
JURY SUMMONS!!!!!

Err ... blame Obama?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone subscribes to the theory that they scour new citizen records to fill juries, well it has been about two years since my oath ceremony.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nice
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

JURY SUMMONS!!!!!

Last summons that I had, the defence lawyer guy was asking the jury pool, "how can you tell if someone is guilty". I just said, body language. I got off. It's not hard to spot the shuffling feet, the shifty, sideways looks after you have brought up a couple of kids. They weren't bad kids, but you know when they are lying. You might get off if you have a baby or young child at home to take care of.

The first summons I had, just after I got citizenship, they didn't need a lot of us, so let us go. The next one I couldn't get out of. It was a trial that lasted 2 weeks. All those were in different states than where we are now, so I'm expecting I'll get another summons as I'm on the voting list.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:22 am
Just Joined

sangreal is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I went for a 2-day summons (a few months ago in NJ), I was in the first group called into a court room. The judge asked everyone who was going to claim hardship to raise their hand and then said we could go. Got sent home 30 minutes later and was told not to come back for the 2nd day.

That was my 2nd experience. The first trip (just over 3 years to the day) the Judge had us fill out a questionairre to determine if we would be biased and if you answered 'Yes' to any of the questions they called you up to the bench to explain and give the lawyers an opportunity to kick you out (before the normal selection process when the lawyers question you and/or excuse people based on their looks). I did answer yes, but when I got up to the bench and they asked "Does that mean you can't be impartial?" I caved and said no. Ended up serving on a jury for a few days.

The point of my stories are: you won't serve on a jury unless you really want to. It's an interesting experience, but you'll likely lose all faith in the system if you do. I would never want to be at the mercy of people like those I served with.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone subscribes to the theory that they scour new citizen records to fill juries, well it has been about two years since my oath ceremony.
In my first 6 or so months here, I got4 summons in California. I'm not even a citizen of the U.S.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on a voting register somewhere in the world since the late 70s and have never been called up anywhere...ok, a few of those years I was in Singapore and not eligible, and the first few years here, I was on a green card, so not eligible (I assume), but I took the oath quite a few years back (or "had the lobotomy" as an American friend says who says yanks don't have a sense of humour) and I still haven't been called up. I'd actually quite like to do it.....see how things work, get away from the kids for a few days....
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:47 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

No, here they look at driving license records. I've been jury-called twice in the past two years. I don't really mind; work pays me for the day and I usually catch up on some reading while waiting to be empaneled. I'm enough of an amateur law geek to like voir dire, too. The chances you will be chosen for a jury, let alone a docket lasting longer than a single day, are minuscule.

Unlike sangreal, I quite liked the people I was empaneled with last time. They took the case (a murder case) and their role in the jury quite seriously; they asked good, intelligent questions about the law and about how to be a good juror. One woman even burst into tears as she explained why she thought she could not be a fair juror (she was ashamed of herself but understood the process had to be a just one). I would like to have the finally selected jury on a case in which I was involved. I wasn't selected because they filled 12 slots before they got to my juror number (I was number 35 in line, I think).

Last edited by Speedwell; Nov 2nd 2013 at 6:52 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:24 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
No, here they look at driving license records..
Do you mean they use driving license records to select the candidates for jury service, or that points on the license would disqualify you from service?
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:56 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually surprised they don't somehow pull your credit history to select jury candidates .... seems they do so for just about everything else overhere.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Do you mean they use driving license records to select the candidates for jury service, or that points on the license would disqualify you from service?
In California, the get candidates names from the DMV, voter registration applications, property titles, and just about anywhere else.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually surprised they don't somehow pull your credit history to select jury candidates .... seems they do so for just about everything else overhere.
They probably would if they knew social security numbers and could match people that lived in in the city/county. I don't believe they can use state tax filings to determine location since tax filings are confidential.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

JURY SUMMONS!!!!!

Turn up in a white outfit with a white hood over your Noggin - Job Done.

Jim
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:23 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

JURY SUMMONS!!!!!

*LOUD VOICE*

Well, if they weren't guilty, the Police wouldn't have arrested them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.