Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Today feels a bit weird

Today feels a bit weird

Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Today feels a bit weird

I leave soon and my household goods are slowly being sold off via ebay. Its great having the same conversation 100 times with each piece of furniture sold, "so your moving, why?" of course no one is really interested, but its a good way to pass 3 minutes while we awkwardly do the transaction and off they go with my old belongings. The cats are starting to give me the look, like they no something is up.

Today though I am selling the car, she comes to pick it up at 6pm and give me a cheque, i just had it cleaned, it looks amazing, shiny black, honda CRV sport, ace condition.

Whilst getting the roadworthy done a flood of emotions hit me, this car I have had for 4 years, half my time here, i have driven all over the country in it, slept in it in bondi, hauled my music gear in it to 300 gigs around Melbourne and used it as my work car, listening to shi* radio on thr way to work in the morning..

When she gives me the cheque and i give her 2 sets of car keys and stand on the side of road as she takes off, it will really hit home that I am doing this.

Sorry, just had to say that. I am not one for getting emotional over items such as cars, furniture etc, but this has a different meaning i think.

Coupled with the fact I am going to be driving a mates Ford Laser around for 4 weeks and I am 6 foot 4 means it will be a challenge either way.

Funny the things you grow to value isnt it.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today feels a bit weird

My car was the last thing to be sold before we moved to the US. My grandad had left me some money so I had bought the car outright, a Peugeot 306, only 5,000 miles on the clock, it never gave me any grief, sipped petrol and was a nice car to drive. I had to choke back some tears as I watched it being driven away. I think, looking back, that was the saddest moment, before we left the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:35 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Now come on, be a brave boy, it's only a car. Now, will this get the same reaction from you as I got from my hubby when England went out of the last world cup when I said "Honey, it's only a game" Ooh big mistake!

Possessions, possessions, all can be replaced somewhere along the line. It's all just stuff and clutter, the only really important thing is you, your family (if there are any more of you) that's it. Nowt else really. Keep heading in the right direction, it'll all come good in the end.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:36 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geeandtee
My car was the last thing to be sold before we moved to the US. My grandad had left me some money so I had bought the car outright, a Peugeot 306, only 5,000 miles on the clock, it never gave me any grief, sipped petrol and was a nice car to drive. I had to choke back some tears as I watched it being driven away. I think, looking back, that was the saddest moment, before we left the UK.
Mmmm....sentimental value rather than the hunk of metal that it was. Totally understandable that. I bet your Grandad was chuffed he paid for something that had done you proud
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

LittleMapes has a spectacular aura aboutLittleMapes has a spectacular aura aboutLittleMapes has a spectacular aura about

ohhh boy, I can completely relate to this one.

Not so much the furniture, I'm ready to sell it all and buy new when i get to the UK, but my JEEP. I love my Jeep. I've wanted a Jeep since I was really younge, around 12. At 21 I finally got MY dream vehicle.

Since having it, I've bought it so many accessories, light bar, winch, bumpers. Yeah, that will be a tough moment.

I'm trying to stay positive and I'm excited to see the little cars in the UK to pick from. Hopefully I'll get something as equally important to me.

Yes, I do know that it is just some heap of metal that will eventually die on me, but i'm attached. haha. I still drive around proud of my baby =)
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Mmmm....sentimental value rather than the hunk of metal that it was. Totally understandable that. I bet your Grandad was chuffed he paid for something that had done you proud
I was even more depressed when, 2 weeks later:

1. She still hadn't wired the $$$ she owed me for the car;
2. She had been broadsided when driving it across a dodgy intersection in the village.

Sadly, the money Grandad had given me was from his will, he hadn't lived to see the car.

p.s I did get the money in the end, it paid for our new furniture so, in a way, his legacy is still there, it doesn't need petrol, or annual servicing and it's bloody comfortable.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:06 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel. My dog knew something was going on also, once my apartment started getting more and more empty.

As for your belongings, it's hard to say goodbye to things you've had for a while. I had a beautiful loveseat and sofa set when I was in the US, but I had to let it go. It would've been way too expensive to ship it, and too big for a UK house anyway.

Once you get back, everything falls into place, and you'll feel at home again in no time. All the best!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What the others have said - bottom line, it is only stuff even if it is a much loved car (what is it with men and cars anyway)

I think that we probably all could do with a periodic de-clutter of our lives, I know I could although I wouldnt want to throw the DH out (not today anyway!).

Hope the rest of your move goes as smoothly.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
What the others have said - bottom line, it is only stuff even if it is a much loved car (what is it with men and cars anyway)

Trust me, it isn't just men. I have a Celica convertible that my mum left me when she died. I looooooove that car, and it will be the hardest thing for me to give up when we start selling everything for the final move. It's 10 years old and looks almost brand new. Been with me in California, driven to Oregon, and then shipped to Virginia. Seriously . . . that car is my baby. I'm gonna cry buckets!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
Trust me, it isn't just men. I have a Celica convertible that my mum left me when she died. I looooooove that car, and it will be the hardest thing for me to give up when we start selling everything for the final move. It's 10 years old and looks almost brand new. Been with me in California, driven to Oregon, and then shipped to Virginia. Seriously . . . that car is my baby. I'm gonna cry buckets!
If there is a sentimental reason then you are forgiven!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
If there is a sentimental reason then you are forgiven!!!!
Well, it's partly sentimental, but there's also the fact that I just bloody love the way it looks and drives. Still, selling it will be tough, especially as I helped Mum pick it out and she loved it too. It was her last little fling!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TaraC
you might not need to sell it if i was reading yesterdays posts of yours correctly
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
you might not need to sell it if i was reading yesterdays posts of yours correctly
I think we'll be making the permanent move to the UK, so bye bye car. I have a second interview for a job next week. If it works out, it will give us the impetus to get OH and dog figured out and over here. I waffle a little because of the economy here and in the US, worry about the house prices and the dollar, etc., but I'm still really happy living back at home. I just get collywobbles sometimes worrying if it's the best thing for OH, as he has a very good career that he'd be giving up. If we decide in the end that we can't get him over and make it work, he has promised no more Virginia, which is when we would try and go back to the PNW. Best-case scenario is still here however.