Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

tips on taking payment for a car

tips on taking payment for a car

Old Jun 28th 2016, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default tips on taking payment for a car

I am selling my car and am looking for advice on how to take payment to avoid being scammed. My thinking was for the buyer to get a cashiers check and I go to the bank with them and deposit the check in my account. Is it possible for cashier's checks to bounce?

Any other options/opinions would be wlecome
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tips on taking payment for a car

Cashiers checks can bounce if they are forged or stolen. The problem is that it can be a day or two before you hear that the check was bad.

Personally I would go the opposite way - and accompany the buyer to their bank to collect the payment. ..... Or even have them (the buyer's bank) transfer the proceeds direct to your account.

In any case I would find out as much as you can about the buyer, even during casual conversation - where to do they live? who do they work for? ..... Anyone who is cagy might be a greater risk.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 28th 2016 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:19 pm
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

this software sucks

Last edited by katzgar; Jun 28th 2016 at 7:21 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Transfer directly into your account.
When the funds are there sign over the title.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Some municipalities have set up "Craigslist safe zones" for meeting and conducting such business.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 10:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Get paid in cash. Bring two other people with you to safeguard yourself and the money.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lot of cash. The person coming today is looking at getting a loan from a credit union that I am a member of. That might make things easier.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 1:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Get paid in cash. Bring two other people with you to safeguard yourself and the money.
A newly retired couple in NC went to sell their Accord a few years ago. What possessed them to meet the "buyer" where they did, who knows, but the buyer took a revolver with him, ..... and well, you can guess the rest.

Cash these days is just a bad idea. Period. .... There are better alternatives.
Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Transfer directly into your account.
When the funds are there sign over the title.
The problem may be finding a buyer who is prepared to trust a provide seller who is going to have both cash and car for two days. If a private seller offered me such I deal I would walk away.
Originally Posted by mrken30
It's a lot of cash. The person coming today is looking at getting a loan from a credit union that I am a member of. That might make things easier.
That sounds optimal, if your bank and his bank are the same bank.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 29th 2016 at 1:54 am.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you are buying another car, then doing a trade-in of this car will save sales tax for you on the new car.

The value of the trade-in is deducted from the total cost of new/used car for sales tax purposes. Saved us about $900 and meant that the trade -in deal was about the same as selling on craigslist but without any of the messing around.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
If you are buying another car, then doing a trade-in of this car will save sales tax for you on the new car.

The value of the trade-in is deducted from the total cost of new/used car for sales tax purposes. Saved us about $900 and meant that the trade -in deal was about the same as selling on craigslist but without any of the messing around.
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately this would save me $0 as we don't pay sales tax. I did see that on the carvana advice on selling cars.

I will be in the position of sharing one car for a while. I may have to resort to smelly buses while we decide what car to buy. We want a model with active braking which limits our choices.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Certainly wasn't deducted from the price on which the sales taxes on my last car purchased.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

We sell in a niche market and will hold the car after payment till shipping is arranged.
I just sent one to Colorado, sent over copies of the title and my license to plus import docs, the buyer wired the money into my account then I sent him the title and bill of sale.
It took around 10 days to find a transporter.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Really? Certainly wasn't deducted from the price on which the sales taxes on my last car purchased.
yep, done for the last 2 cars we sold.

Carvana made it particularly easy - I didn't even have to deal with awful car sales people.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:04 pm

If you are buying another car, then doing a trade-in of this car will save sales tax for you on the new car. .....
That depends on the state. Sales tax rules are specific to each state, not uniform across the whole country.