Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Time to replace the Gas guzzling behemoth

Time to replace the Gas guzzling behemoth

Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:38 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to replace the Gas guzzling behemoth

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I don't agree that the Fusion is a POS and that's not a salesman talking that is opinion from people who have bought them. Buyers are very happy with the Fusion.

However your comment about the European models rings true. The fit, finish, appearance and driveability of many models from across the pond is much better. I wish we had the Mondeo here, and the Turbo Diesel 4-door Ranger. Take a look at the new German-made Focus in comparison to the one we get here.
yes - focus is another good example. I had one as a hire car years ago in the UK, and although the 1.8 zetec wasa bit asthmatic, it was still a very decent car
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

. For all those experts out there.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can't just put their faith in a trusted brand name when it comes to looking for a new car.
Nissan and Hyundai had models in both the highest and lowest rankings of Consumer Reports predicted-reliability survey this year, according to the magazine.
Nissan's luxury brand, Infiniti, had two of the most reliable models -- the Infiniti M35 and M45. But four Nissan cars -- the Nissan Quest, Armada and Titan and and Infiniti QX56 -- landed on the list of worst for predicted reliability.
For Hyundai, Consumer Reports predicted, the Hyundai Tucson SUV will likely have poor reliability, while theSanta Fe SUV and and the Elantra should have average reliability. Reliability for the newly redesigned Sonata remains unknown.
"The message to consumers is clear: You can't gauge reliability based only on a nameplate. Some automakers do have a better track record but individual models -- especially newer ones -- can have some problems," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center, in a statement. "New-car buyers should always check our reliability rating for the model they're buying."
Of the 31 cars that earned the top rating, only two were from U.S.-based manufacturers -- the remaining 29 vehicles were from Japanese automakers, and none represented European brands. Almost half of the top 31 -- 15 vehicles -- were manufactured by Toyota.
Of the vehicles with the worst reliability, 22 were from U.S.-based manufacturers, 20 from European brands, four from Japanese makers and two from South Korean companies.
Hybrid models turned in above-average results, despite their complex mechanical drivetrains. Hybrids use both gasoline engines and electric motors that run on batteries charged by the gasoline engine.
Consumer Reports surveyed the owners of more than a million vehicles. Owners were surveyed through the magazine's Web site and through surveys mailed to subscribers. To calculate predicted reliability for 2006 model-year vehicles, the magazine averaged overall reliability scores for the last three model years, provided that the vehicle remained substantially unchanged over that time. For vehicles that were new or substantially redesigned during that time, data from the just one or two years was used.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:24 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

According to KBB, my diesel Jetta with 15k on it is worth $1,000 more than I payed for it.

Mmm, diesel... is there anything it can't do?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
. For all those experts out there.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can't just put their faith in a trusted brand name when it comes to looking for a new car.
Nissan and Hyundai had models in both the highest and lowest rankings of Consumer Reports predicted-reliability survey this year, according to the magazine.
Nissan's luxury brand, Infiniti, had two of the most reliable models -- the Infiniti M35 and M45. But four Nissan cars -- the Nissan Quest, Armada and Titan and and Infiniti QX56 -- landed on the list of worst for predicted reliability.
For Hyundai, Consumer Reports predicted, the Hyundai Tucson SUV will likely have poor reliability, while theSanta Fe SUV and and the Elantra should have average reliability. Reliability for the newly redesigned Sonata remains unknown.
"The message to consumers is clear: You can't gauge reliability based only on a nameplate. Some automakers do have a better track record but individual models -- especially newer ones -- can have some problems," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center, in a statement. "New-car buyers should always check our reliability rating for the model they're buying."
Of the 31 cars that earned the top rating, only two were from U.S.-based manufacturers -- the remaining 29 vehicles were from Japanese automakers, and none represented European brands. Almost half of the top 31 -- 15 vehicles -- were manufactured by Toyota.
Of the vehicles with the worst reliability, 22 were from U.S.-based manufacturers, 20 from European brands, four from Japanese makers and two from South Korean companies.
Hybrid models turned in above-average results, despite their complex mechanical drivetrains. Hybrids use both gasoline engines and electric motors that run on batteries charged by the gasoline engine.
Consumer Reports surveyed the owners of more than a million vehicles. Owners were surveyed through the magazine's Web site and through surveys mailed to subscribers. To calculate predicted reliability for 2006 model-year vehicles, the magazine averaged overall reliability scores for the last three model years, provided that the vehicle remained substantially unchanged over that time. For vehicles that were new or substantially redesigned during that time, data from the just one or two years was used.
I think youre preaching to the choir re Jap cars/ Mine next one is defo coming from that quarter.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:07 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

The only diesel car I have ever driven that doesn't sound like your driving a diesel was an ex's BMW 320D and my old bosses 530D - both of them were amazingly quiet. I had a diesel seat company car in the UK, it sounded like a diesel. BMW seem to have cracked the problem with diesel engine noise. My boss said his 530 had electronic dampers that measured vibration and adjusted accordingly; cool stuff!

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:21 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

75% of BMWs sold in Europe are diesel.

I just thought of something my car can't do; tow a horse trailer.
The circle is complete.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:58 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll revive an old thread just to talk about my new truck some more

I was emailed this today; I think its the video Dakota was talking about.

It is obviously biased as it was shot at a Toyota dealership, but its funny to watch (unless you own an F150).
Did I mention i got a new truck?

Originally Posted by Rushman
Actually..gravity is what keeps tires "glued" to the road.

That aside, I think you've either missed what I was implying or chose to ignore it. If the Ford/Chevy/Dodge geezer stood hard on the loud pedal as the tart dropped her knickers and the guy in the Toyota pressed the accelerator down slower who is going to break traction first? The guy in the domestic truck is because he was driving like a tit, the Toyota then holds the weight of the other truck and can pull it as the other vehicle continues to light them up. Therefore when you said "so when those trucks could not move the unmovable, the tires lost traction from the effort" you didnt even consider what I said about the driver of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge deliberately sabotaging its chances of winning.

This is even more likely what happened given you admission of.....
So nice of you to admit that it was a completely one sided and unfair competition but a bit confusing as to why you would actually post those links in the first place as some kind of advertisment for Toyota and then enlighten us that it was a rigged event.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
According to KBB, my diesel Jetta with 15k on it is worth $1,000 more than I payed for it.

Get thru a really cold winter ..without sludging
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:55 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of people have had mixed opinions about them, but my BIL has a Ford F-250 for his business and it's a great old truck. He's got a diesel engine and it pulls like... well, a truck.

I snapped this picture when I first arrived - show my friends in England what a REAL pick-up truck looks like!!

Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:16 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I know a lot of people have had mixed opinions about them, but my BIL has a Ford F-250 for his business and it's a great old truck. He's got a diesel engine and it pulls like... well, a truck.

I snapped this picture when I first arrived - show my friends in England what a REAL pick-up truck looks like!!

http://bp0.blogger.com/_sBLxX3sph8M/...ttle+truck.JPG
So there are no trucks in England? Pickups, I mean. What do people pull campers and trailers and stuff with?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So there are no trucks in England? Pickups, I mean. What do people pull campers and trailers and stuff with?

www.bigskygypsy.com;)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
or http://www.bigskygypsy.com/
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Of course! *Smacking hand on forehead...*