Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Time for another gun thread

Time for another gun thread

Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for another gun thread

My car locks its own doors as soon as I engage drive or reverse. Which is kind of funny, because it creates the illusion I'm trying to kidnap my passengers ...
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It does make you wonder what will happen when these vehicles reach older life.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It does, but then I'll probably replace it when it's about ten years old, so at the same time it won't be my problem either.

Ah, I do love things that aren't my problem.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is 17 years old now and covered in dog hair. I would have issues if it was something that was not an old beater.

Next month I will be hauling wood in it, need about 20 loads of logs. But any more dents do not really matter.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I do think that you're overreaching just a wee bit. Some words don't mean much, locking ones car doors is generally a good idea, and the US has no monopoly on xenophobia. (The UKIP isn't exactly known for its embrace of multiculturalism.)

It's possible. But after so many years here the whole fear things has started to weigh heavily. It has just never happened to me anywhere else in the world that I'm driving along and then because I turn onto a certain street my passengers start locking their doors.

And no, the US most certainly does not have the monopoly on that - any time you want to waste a few hours of your life you can venture into the UKIP thread on TIO No idea if UKIP people lock their car doors when they see immigrants though.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My car locks its own doors as soon as I engage drive or reverse. Which is kind of funny, because it creates the illusion I'm trying to kidnap my passengers ...

I'm usually trying to get passengers out of my car.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's possible. But after so many years here the whole fear things has started to weigh heavily. It has just never happened to me anywhere else in the world that I'm driving along and then because I turn onto a certain street my passengers start locking their doors.
Never been for a drive in Belfast in the late 90s, then?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:58 pm

Never been for a drive in Belfast in the late 90s, then?
No - I might have been worried about getting shot, but my guess is you can do that through the window without opening the door.

Belfast may have been one of those places where there was a real reason to be concerned, like Guatemala in the early 90s when I was there. You would know better than I. That is different from the sort of paranoia that makes people lock car doors just because they aren't in a white middle-class neighbourhood any more.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:09 pm
I have a comma problem

No - I might have been worried about getting shot, but my guess is you can do that through the window without opening the door.

Belfast may have been one of those places where there was a real reason to be concerned, like Guatemala in the early 90s when I was there. You would know better than I. That is different from the sort of paranoia that makes people lock car doors just because they aren't in a white middle-class neighbourhood any more.
It was more in areas where the IRA or UVF were known to be active, for when you're stopped at lights and that. There was enough of an RUC and British Army presence on the street prior to the 1994 'ceasefire' though that your average man on the street didn't feel the need to be armed.

Though, it probably is the reason I don't have as visceral a reaction to guns as others on the forum do, because I'm so used to seeing armed coppers and soldiers with carbines walking around the city centre. It wasn't even that bad anymore when I was growing up - it was the lingering security threat that required the presence in the pre-Belfast Agreement Northern Ireland.

That being said, locking your car doors in general might not be a bad practice, even if just to protect against mechanical failure of the latch mechanism. I say this as someone who has been in a car whose door has flung open of its own accord at speed on the off ramp of a highway
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It was more in areas where the IRA or UVF were known to be active, for when you're stopped at lights and that. There was enough of an RUC and British Army presence on the street prior to the 1994 'ceasefire' though that your average man on the street didn't feel the need to be armed.

Though, it probably is the reason I don't have as visceral a reaction to guns as others on the forum do, because I'm so used to seeing armed coppers and soldiers with carbines walking around the city centre. It wasn't even that bad anymore when I was growing up - it was the lingering security threat that required the presence in the pre-Belfast Agreement Northern Ireland.

That being said, locking your car doors in general might not be a bad practice, even if just to protect against mechanical failure of the latch mechanism. I say this as someone who has been in a car whose door has flung open of its own accord at speed on the off ramp of a highway
Not too sure about in your car, but the reason for locking at slow speeds was brought in to stop car jacking. the locks usually disengage above about 10mph. or they will disengage in the case of an accident when there is a sudden stop, this is to allow people to be got from the vehicle in caase of an accident.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:17 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not too sure about in your car, but the reason for locking at slow speeds was brought in to stop car jacking. the locks usually disengage above about 10mph. or they will disengage in the case of an accident when there is a sudden stop, this is to allow people to be got from the vehicle in caase of an accident.
My locks stay locked until I re-engage park. They can be unlocked with the push of a button though, so while it is almost certainly an anti-carjacking feature, it has the added benefit of keeping the doors closed too. Nothing like the door flying open at 50 mph to wake you up, that's for sure. I was, at least, a passenger at the time ...
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You'll probably have to reinstall the windows.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:38 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

And no, the US most certainly does not have the monopoly on that - any time you want to waste a few hours of your life you can venture into the UKIP thread on TIO No idea if UKIP people lock their car doors when they see immigrants though.
I just wouldn't be too quick to confuse a subculture with the culture itself.

Paranoid gun nuts are certainly part of American culture, but they aren't representative of the entire culture. They aren't even representative of all gun owners, while many other Americans don't even own guns.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:41 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Though, it probably is the reason I don't have as visceral a reaction to guns as others on the forum do, because I'm so used to seeing armed coppers and soldiers with carbines walking around the city centre.
I recall walking through Belfast and being a bit astonished to see that the armored vehicle waiting at the red light was, in fact, a cop car.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I just wouldn't be too quick to confuse a subculture with the culture itself.

Paranoid gun nuts are certainly part of American culture, but they aren't representative of the entire culture. They aren't even representative of all gun owners, while many other Americans don't even own guns.
I wasn't referring to paranoid gun nuts. Or even normal gun nuts. That's just one extreme. I am referring to unarmed people who don't own guns for the most part just going about their normal business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.