Tiling the hoose..

Old Aug 21st 2014, 4:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiling the hoose..

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what we have been told. Marble will disintegrate...it will come up in dime size pieces or dust.
You could mop the marble tiles with a strong mineral acid, such as sulphuric acid, and just dissolve them.

/helpful
Old Aug 21st 2014, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what we have been told. Marble will disintegrate...it will come up in dime size pieces or dust.
Dime size pieces will probably be the very big pieces.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is another solution, which is time consuming and fiddly, but which leaves the baseboard attached to the wall, but allows the tile to be laid under the baseboard- use something like a Dremmel (there is another larger similar tool) to remove the lower edge of the baseboard while it is still attached to the wall.
This isn't the tool I was thinking of, but it's a lot less fiddly than even a "super-Dremmel" type tool.

I actually have one of these, and have used myself it to rip the lower edge off wooden paneling so I can install flooring under the paneling so that at a later time, the paneling can be removed and replaced with drywall (plasterboard) without leaving a gap at the edge of the flooring. .... The only issue with using this tool in the manner described is when you strike a nail!

ETA. And yes it is what it looks like, a piece of chainsaw chain fitted to an angle grinder!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 21st 2014 at 5:36 am.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is another solution, which is time consuming and fiddly, but which leaves the baseboard attached to the wall, but allows the tile to be laid under the baseboard- use something like a Dremmel (there is another larger similar tool) to remove the lower edge of the baseboard while it is still attached to the wall.
Oscillating saw?

Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Oscillating saw? .....
That would need a void behind the material you're trying to cut, whereas a skirting (base) board is installed in contact with the wall surface material (plasterboard or masonry), making any sort of saw with a reciprocating action, whether hand or powered, ineffective/ inoperable for the task of removing the lower edge of a skirting board in situ.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 21st 2014 at 7:12 am.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Think I'll get some quotes for staining and sealing as I've been reading that prices have come down and indeed it may be very competitive with tiling now.

I used one of those services to ask for tiling quotes yesterday. Got one, $2500 for 500 Sqft. Except I asked if he was licensed and he says he has a business licence from the city.
I said yes but do you have a contractors license, with insurance and a bond?, and he said...

"I have a city lincense .. I'm a trust worthy indivial with over 10 years experience I have many references available you no need license for hadyman business"

The last part is true however you cannot bid on any job here which is over $500.
In addition when operating illegally the owner is not even required to pay for any work done.

I want to make sure I'm giving business to a legal operation as too many of them are being undercut by illegal operations that aren't licensed and can provide no guarantees.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Think I'll get some quotes for staining and sealing as I've been reading that prices have come down and indeed it may be very competitive with tiling now.

I used one of those services to ask for tiling quotes yesterday. Got one, $2500 for 500 Sqft. Except I asked if he was licensed and he says he has a business licence from the city.
I said yes but do you have a contractors license, with insurance and a bond?, and he said...

"I have a city lincense .. I'm a trust worthy indivial with over 10 years experience I have many references available you no need license for hadyman business"

The last part is true however you cannot bid on any job here which is over $500.
In addition when operating illegally the owner is not even required to pay for any work done.

I want to make sure I'm giving business to a legal operation as too many of them are being undercut by illegal operations that aren't licensed and can provide no guarantees.
I don't trust any contractor whether bonded or not. In my last townhouse, the HOA decided to replace all the roofs (cedar shingle) and we got a quote for about $15,000 per townhouse including an independent project manager for about 150 townhouses (about $2.25 million total) and the contractor did the work and the never once did the manager go on the roofs to check what the contractor was doing. When the contractor was falling behind on his work, materials were missing, and rental trucks were broken down at the project, the HOA sent people to talk to the contractor and check his work and it was discovered he was diverting materials to another project, the flashing on the roofs were installed incorrectly, all the broken down trucks weren't returned since the contractor didn't have the money to pay for the rentals, and the contractor let the bond expire.

After firing the contractor, spending another $500,000 to repair the roofs, and filing a lawsuit against the contractor, the contractor filed for bankruptcy. The project manager claimed that he wasn't paid enough (about $200,000) to go on the roofs to check what the contractor was doing and it wasn't his job to determine if the contractor was diverting materials or was financially sound.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 21st 2014 at 7:40 am.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you Michael, been there done it, bought the tshirt.

I've sued and won against contractors before but I also know how to go after their bond, as small as it may be, if things don't work out, and I've got practice at writing contracts now.

It's mostly why I now learn, buy the tools, and do my own work now but for some things I've no time.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:37 am

..... It's mostly why I now learn, buy the tools, and do my own work now but for some things I've no time.
Me too, exactly this!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wonder if they can stain and seal the floor without removing the baseboards. I'm not sure of the technique that is used (suspect it isn't the same that I used to paint the garage floor) but I have doubts it would look right using a paint brush to get it stained and sealed next to the baseboards.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Michael
I wonder if they can stain and seal the floor without removing the baseboards. ......
I just found some instructions on the diynetwork.com website:

Step 1: Remove the Trim Work

If acid staining a pre-existing concrete floor, remove all baseboards and trim work that might be damaged by the stain mixture. ....
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes but that's acid stain old chap....wouldn't have it anywhere near..
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:02 pm

Yes but that's acid stain old chap....wouldn't have it anywhere near..
Not good, huh?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, it is good but a lot of hassle to work with in terms of floor prep beforehand and then the process itself.
There are many more types of stain these days that are easier to use like acrylic water based, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh...will the skirting board absolutely need removed?

Only just finished installing, caulking and painting it in the whole house.
The idea was to then do acid staining but realized couldn't be bothered with stains and epoxies, hence the tiling idea.
Honestly, it you want it to look good then yes. Getting a taller baseboard to cover any sins from the removal of the old one is usually an option. It is cheap, easy to install and easy to cut. In summary yes remove it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.