Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Ticked off my Immigrant Bingo Card Last Week...

Ticked off my Immigrant Bingo Card Last Week...

Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:05 pm
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ticked off my Immigrant Bingo Card Last Week...

This made me chuckle so thought I'd share.

Was at an upscale outdoor shopping area (think Coach, Williams Sonoma, J Crew, Apple etc) with the Wife last week in a fairly wealthy predominantly white suburb. I'm driving. I go to turn down one of the rows of parking and a lady is coming towards me on the wrong side of the road. We both slam on the brakes, no collision. I assume maybe she'd come out fo a space at a weird angle and hadn't had a chance to straighten back up tot he correct side of the road yet. She drives around and as she's passing. loses it at me. Lot's of swearing, middle finger etc. Meh.

We park and as we get out of the vehicle we see she's done a lap of the car park and pulled up behind us. I walk over to her as she winds her window down. It's a middle aged white lady with the stereotypical 'talk to the manager' haircut. She starts yelling as i approach: "**** You, You're gonna almost hit me with my ****ing kid in the Car. How about you watch where you're ****ing going...". I was not particularly calm at this point - which is unusual for me as I know how irritated it makes people in arguments if you never raise your voice. haha. "How about you drive on the correct side of the road" is the first thing out of my mouth. Upon hearing my very English accent, she responds with "How about you **** off back to where you came from!". Then promptly screeches off in her car.

I was flabbergasted and my Wife & I burst out laughing. Other than when I offered to help an old African American guy at PHL airport a few months ago and he made a remark about me being 'whitey' this is absolutely a first for me.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticked off my Immigrant Bingo Card Last Week...

Wow, that's crazy ….. I was waiting for you to say she was from the UK, Australia, NZ, SA, Japan, etc. My approach in parking lots is to assume that all other drivers are incompetent drunken idiots, and drive accordingly.

In 17 years I have only ever had one negative interaction re me not being a born USC - when some a-hole from Kentucky who went to the church that my in-laws attended, decided it would be amusing to sing songs for me about the revolutionary war.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2019 at 2:29 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

At our old address we got into a barney with our new 'middle class' Mexican neighbor over his loud oompha oompah music and he suggested I go back to my own country because this was 'Murica.

A month later we were awakened by a bunch of squad cars doing a drug bust at his address. The helicopter added to the excitement.

I will treasure the video I made that evening as they did the perp walk.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 3:44 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I have been told that is when I was living in Scotland
Old Jan 8th 2019, 5:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes get told that when explaining that 'Football' in this country is a very poor substitute for what we in the rest of the civilized world call 'Football'
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a few tell me to go back if I don't like it here (usually when I've commented on some political post on FB) and I take great pleasure replying "No, I came here quite legally and I pay my taxes, unlike your ancestors".