Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you'll never say...

Things you'll never say...

Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you'll never say...

I've a misguided friend who is adamant that the words "spelt" and "learnt" are not real words. She chastises everyone who uses them, even after she had been proved wrong. Twit!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
"Happy holidays" Irritates the crap out of me
Well the phrase was appropriate for this holiday season with both Christmas and Hanukkah falling at the same time.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

"Happy holidays" Irritates the crap out of me
I generally say "Merry Christmas" to other people, but won't call anyone out on saying "happy holidays" to me.

At the end of the day people are being friendly.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

"irritates the crap out of me"
nope, can't say I'll ever say that!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:54 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You are correct that the phrase is not I could care less, unless, of course, the speaker does care and is wishing that they didn't.

What is wrong about "reach out to"? It is not a phrase you might use now or in the future, but there is nothing incorrect in using it in place of the word "contact". Actually, there are many instances where "reach out to" is quite appropriate in my eyes and one would be to reach out to someone who is going through a period in their lives where they need emotional or physical support.

Yes, I agree with your horror at the misuse of pronouns.

Disagree with the "how are you". Normally, I would say "Hi Sam. How are you." I would not start off with "how are you". Then again, many areas of the country consider this a proper greeting. So its not yours. So don't say it unless you want to ask that question.

Why should you be embarrassed for your friend? So she used the adjective cute. Big deal. I would save the embarrassment for the people who use the word "like" before the start of each sentence or the ones who continually utter "awesome" and "cool".

It's a different country and actually a different form of the English language that you grew up with. Don't expect British English to be spoken here. I'm sure there are many people in the UK who mangle pronouns, phrases and words.
As it's British Expats I was looking for thoughts/opinions from British expats about things that they find grating based on our usage of English. I already know British English won't be spoken here, of course! I'm married to an American. I know that they use words differently and if I want to know why I can ask him. But I wasn't looking for reasons why. Just a straw poll on what other British ears don't like. I also wasn't suggesting that no one in the U.K. mangles the language.

But thank you for your contribution.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:55 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Look on the bright side. It may have been even worse if you had moved to China.
Already lived and worked a year in China between marriages when I wanted to do "something different". And it was.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived here nearly 10 years, I find it's British English that grates. So many words and phrases just sound odd to me now - jumper, amongst, central reservation, lorry, bum bag, fairy cake, glandular fever, mobile phone, petrol, pistes.

I also find that people, especially children, speaking with English accents sound very affected to me now. (But not Scottish, Irish or Welsh, oddly.)

It's funny what you get used to.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I have embraced a few Maine phrases like 'Going upta camp this weekend?' and if I want someone to speed up (eg if they're doing less than 70mph in a snowstorm) I tell them to 'book it'. And I put jimmies on my cupcakes and say 'Ayuh' far too much.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:10 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Having lived here nearly 10 years, I find it's British English that grates. So many words and phrases just sound odd to me now - jumper, amongst, central reservation, lorry, bum bag, fairy cake, glandular fever, mobile phone, petrol, pistes.

I also find that people, especially children, speaking with English accents sound very affected to me now. (But not Scottish, Irish or Welsh, oddly.)

It's funny what you get used to.
Well I've lived here 40 years and English women now sound sexy to me. The somewhat nasal whine of the dollies on the US news channels has gotten a little raw lately.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:16 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

People who habitually use the words "know what I mean" after every other sentence.

Makes me feel like answering "No I haven't a clue what you mean. Can you repeat what you just said ten times again and each time very slowly so that I'll begin to get a clue what you mean"
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I've lived here 40 years and English women now sound sexy to me. The somewhat nasal whine of the dollies on the US news channels has gotten a little raw lately.
To be fair, pretty much everything about US news channels is annoying :-)
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kins
To be fair, pretty much everything about US news channels is annoying :-)
I suppose if you count around 12 minutes of actual news and 18 minutes devoted to cheesy car commercials in a half hour news segment then that could be classified as a news outlet
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
In the end it will come down to getting used to blank expressions on peoples faces because they don't understand what you are saying, or start talking like a local.
This! .... You wouldn't move to France or Germany and expect everyone to understand your English. The US is the same - while US English is very similar to British English there are enough differences that you're going to appear pompous or deliberately stand-offish if you persist in trying to make do with English idiom.

Therefore I use the words commonly used in the US in most instances, including faucet (tap), gas (petrol), stick (manual car), vacation (holiday), stove (cooker), elevator (lift), chips (crisps), cookie (biscuit), and many others.

I also immediately adopted the US pronunciation of tom-ay-to and gah-rahj for the same reason although I still find both jarring when I use them, especially gah-rahj because coming from Sheffield my natural pronunciation is ga'ridge! Also, per Lansbury's advice above, it didn't take me long to realize that I needed to change "water", "butter", and "lettuce" to "wadder", "budder", and "ledduce" otherwise I often got blank stares.

I agree with Rete, bad grammar is bad grammer in either version of English, so no jumbled pronouns for me.

I think there seems to be a correlation, among BE members at least, between those who refuse to adjust to US vocabulary and idiom and those who never truely settle in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 2nd 2017 at 2:33 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:51 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

In Pennsylvania they say things like "The grass needs mowed" and "The house needs vacuumed" which really annoys me.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 5:31 am
Banned

I will never say "I'd like a fag" to any American. The reaction is quite predicatble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.