British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Things you thought you'd never be buying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/things-you-thought-youd-never-buying-857792/)

Philk May 7th 2015 1:47 pm

Things you thought you'd never be buying

2 Attachment(s)
I could start this off by saying 'a house' as they were out of range living back in the UK. Moving here, not only was I easily able to get one but it came with 1 acre of land and a pond.

Which meant that a push-mower was no good, so last week I went and got myself a John Deere ride-on mower complete with headlights and a cup-holder.

Go back a few years and this was not something I ever thought I'd have use of or be owning.
Living' the dream :lol:

Anian May 7th 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Things you thought you'd never be buying

Isn't it a legal requirement to be holding a beer while using one of those?

Yorkieabroad May 7th 2015 2:53 pm

A truck

Horrible stupid big ugly gas guzzling road hogging machines for rednecks and kids.

Till I got mine.

Now I can't remember how I managed without it:lol:

hoffage123 May 7th 2015 3:07 pm

Renters Insurance.

N1cky May 7th 2015 3:50 pm

Mail order sausages

WEBlue May 7th 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Philk (Post 11639529)
I could start this off by saying 'a house' as they were out of range living back in the UK. Moving here, not only was I easily able to get one but it came with 1 acre of land and a pond.

Same here! The only houses we could perhaps marginally afford in our preferred UK location were either derelict in need of lots of work... or wee new-builds with little/no garden space.

Here we have a house with room for family/visitors galore and a half-acre garden backing onto preserved woodlands. I'll put up with snow in the winter and baffling American idiocies for this room to breathe....

Which meant that a push-mower was no good, so last week I went and got myself a John Deere ride-on mower complete with headlights and a cup-holder.

Go back a few years and this was not something I ever thought I'd have use of or be owning.
Living' the dream :lol:

Haha! :lol:

The owner of our house actually offered to throw in (an old model of) one of those, but we said no thank you. There are a few slopes, including a steep back hill-- on this property a ride-on mower looked like asking for an accident.

Philk May 7th 2015 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11639625)

The owner of our house actually offered to throw in (an old model of) one of those, but we said no thank you. There are a few slopes, including a steep back hill-- on this property a ride-on mower looked like asking for an accident.

Yeh, we have a couple of slopes where the push-mower will still get used - but at least I wont be knackered after having done the rest in comfort

Owen778 May 7th 2015 4:16 pm

Oh, all sorts of things:

- A car, actually two of them (one family SUV, one for commuting)
- Air conditioning filters
- Cycling shorts
- Tax software
- Medical insurance
- Mothers Day cards in May

retzie May 7th 2015 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11639625)
on this property a ride-on mower looked like asking for an accident.

I believe that's where the beer comes in.

Pulaski May 7th 2015 4:41 pm

.... I went and got myself a John Deere ride-on mower complete with headlights .....

And a chainsaw. :)

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11639572)
A truck .....

And a Mustang. :)

BTW Yorkie, your truck is only the toy model! ;)

Bob May 7th 2015 4:47 pm

Food in the mail.

Clothes in the mail.

A Kindle.

A baseball cap.

AC units.

sir_eccles May 7th 2015 4:50 pm

diapers

Bob May 7th 2015 5:00 pm

Museum membership.

Bulk store membership.

Gardening stuff.

Afterschool programs...Already have sign up deadline for kids cheerleading for fall season and that's competition time and the costs are eye watering on top of the actual fee to do it...and she's only 7 FFS.

Pulaski May 7th 2015 5:05 pm

The services of a sawyer/sawmill. ...... I have now used three different ones. :blink:

Philk May 7th 2015 5:19 pm

Aerator for large pond

Landscaping boulders

Snow rake for a roof

Snow plough service

kins May 7th 2015 6:05 pm

Most of the above but no sausages by mail... yet...

RoadWarriorFromLP May 7th 2015 6:29 pm

That isn't a lawnmower. THIS is a lawnmower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5ldu2jB2E

petitefrancaise May 7th 2015 6:51 pm

not one but 2 leafblowers.......F*****ing leaves.

Pest control service....Texas and it's sodding insects.

Pulaski May 7th 2015 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11639801)
not one but 2 leafblowers.......F*****ing leaves. ....

You need a backpack leafblower, it's the only way to go :nod: - handheld ones are about as useful as blowing through a straw and only last three years, if you are lucky. :unsure:

So back to the thread topic .....

A backpack leaf blower.

petitefrancaise May 7th 2015 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639821)
You need a backpack leafblower, it's the only way to go :nod: - handheld ones are about as useful as blowing through a straw and only last three years, if you are lucky.

A backpack leaf blower.

I think we're about to give in ......

so to add to my list - garden/lawn service.

N1cky May 7th 2015 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11639801)
not one but 2 leafblowers.......F*****ing leaves.

Pest control service....Texas and it's sodding insects.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639821)
You need a backpack leafblower, it's the only way to go :nod: - handheld ones are about as useful as blowing through a straw and only last three years, if you are lucky. :unsure:

A backpack leaf blower.

Bloody leaf blowers should be banned. Get a rake and a brush :nod:.

Yorkieabroad May 7th 2015 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639676)

BTW Yorkie, your truck is only the toy model! ;)

Ahem, mine is the one for discerning gentlemen of a certain age, and arthritic knees to match - I don't think I could ever buy something without automatic running boards and a built in tailgate step. So uncouth. So uncivilized. So hard to get into:lol:

WEBlue May 7th 2015 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11639842)

I have to agree. I've never heard a louder piece of so-called garden equipment--what a bl##dy racket!!

Pulaski May 7th 2015 8:09 pm

Bloody leaf blowers should be banned. Get a rake and a brush. .....

I do have work to do other than sweep and rake leaves from August to December. :rolleyes:

I have about 2.5 acres of lawns and over 600ft of driveway, over half of which is gravel and therefore can't be either swept or raked. Short of finding a sorcerer's apprentice who can do with a rake what Goethe's sourcerer's apprentice did with a broom, a backpack blower is the only practical and cost effective solution. :unsure:

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11639875)
I have to agree. I've never heard a louder piece of so-called garden equipment--what a bl##dy racket!!

My backpack blower is, I believe, quieter than my ride-on mower (which is a twin cylinder model and not extraordinarily loud). As my blower can clear leaves much more quickly than a puny hand-held blower I don't need to use the backpack blower for anywhere near as long as I would a handheld blower for the same task - e.g. I can clear the driveway in a single pass, sweeping back and forth while walking at a moderate pace.

lansbury May 7th 2015 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11639826)

so to add to my list - garden/lawn service.

We now have one of those

+ Pork Pies by mail order.

+ 65" TV - never have got one in our house in London. (Hayes)

N1cky May 7th 2015 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11639875)

They drive me up the ****ing wall. Not to mention the environmental impact.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639876)
I have work to do other than sweep and rake leaves from August to December. :rolleyes:

I have about 2.5 acres of lawns and over 600ft of driveway, over half of which is gravel and therefore can't be either swept or raked. Short of finding a sorcerer's apprentice who can do with a rake what Goethe's sourcerer's apprentice did with a broom, a backpack blower is the only practical and cost effective solution. :unsure:

You don't need to clear your 2.5 acres of lawn of the leaves though. Parks in the UK manage to function perfectly well with leaves on the grass. I've got no idea why people have such an issue with it over here.

Bob May 7th 2015 8:16 pm

Or a Brazilian....might be a Mexican down your way, but that might sound a bit worse, if not as dirty :o

Pulaski May 7th 2015 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11639885)
..... You don't need to clear your 2.5 acres of lawn of the leaves though. Parks in the UK manage to function perfectly well with leaves on the grass. I've got no idea why people have such an issue with it over here.

Tell that to my "grass" which buried under 3"-6" of leaves, mulched or otherwise, tends to respond by dying. :rolleyes: ..... As I noted previously there is a big difference in tending grass surrounding a tree and grass surrounded by trees. :nod:

N1cky May 7th 2015 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11639887)
Or a Brazilian....might be a Mexican down your way, but that might sound a bit worse, if not as dirty :o

:lol: I thought you were answering the title question, with a "Brazilian" I was wondering if it was you or your wife, until I read on ;)

They're the worse with them. Rain or shine (not that we get much rain) they're out with the ******* things, sometimes I can hear 3 of them at once. They spend hours trying to blow wet leaves into a pile that's off their territory, or worse still when it's dry they just blow them off the HOA section, into the public section, then wait for the wind to blow them back and come do it all over again.

Bob May 7th 2015 8:29 pm

Green lawn care, now that's something for the peeve thread :lol:

N1cky May 7th 2015 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639893)
Tell that to my "grass" which buried under 3"-6" of leaves, mulched or otherwise, tends to respond by dying. :rolleyes: ..... As I noted previously there is a big difference in tending grass surrounding a tree and grass surrounded by trees. :nod:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11639898)
Green lawn care, now that's something for the peeve thread :lol:

Oh yes. Living in California, do not get me started about green grass.

Bob May 7th 2015 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11639897)
:lol: I thought you were answering the title question, with a "Brazilian" I was wondering if it was you or your wife, until I read on ;)

Yeah, I don't think I could pull that look off :lol:

petitefrancaise May 7th 2015 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11639885)
They drive me up the ****ing wall. Not to mention the environmental impact.

You don't need to clear your 2.5 acres of lawn of the leaves though. Parks in the UK manage to function perfectly well with leaves on the grass. I've got no idea why people have such an issue with it over here.

yeah N1cky that's what I thought. I thought, clear the lawns so the grass will grow but leave the leaves on the borders to compost down. Except one of the oaks around here has leaves that takes years to break down for compost. Then this morning I was talking to the pest control man about why do all the people here clear all the leaves, even from the borders. He told me it's because the cockroaches like to bury and nest under the dead leaves.............. :eek:

Pulaski May 7th 2015 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11639903)
...... why do all the people here clear all the leaves, even from the borders. He told me it's because the cockroaches like to bury and nest under the dead leaves.............. :eek:

And snakes. :nod:

petitefrancaise May 7th 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639908)

oh nooo!
I'm adding a one-way ticket out of here to my list......

Rickyk May 7th 2015 9:46 pm

200 rounds of 5.56

WEBlue May 7th 2015 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11639903)
yeah N1cky that's what I thought. I thought, clear the lawns so the grass will grow but leave the leaves on the borders to compost down. Except one of the oaks around here has leaves that takes years to break down for compost. Then this morning I was talking to the pest control man about why do all the people here clear all the leaves, even from the borders. He told me it's because the cockroaches like to bury and nest under the dead leaves.............. :eek:

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11639908)

Oh for goodness sake, the pest control people would just love for their customers to fear all the creatures hiding in fallen leaf litter are evil and dangerous. Most bugs are good for the soil and do more to keep it healthy and naturally fertile than all this blowing the leaves off and then fertilizing the crap out of the grass below.

I have neighbours who tell me the leaves are too acidic and kill the grass or promote "grub growth". My reply is most of these leaves grew out of the very same soil to which they fall, the soil needs those nutrients back so how could the leaves kill the grass? What kills grass around here in coastal New England is sandy drought-burned soil that has no compost element added back to it because everyone cleans every bit of fallen leaves off... or feels bad if they don't.

And grubs! Grubs aren't all bad for plants, and they're great for birds! My lawn is full of robins now, happily eating up those lawn grubs because I refuse to poison them...

And PFrancaise, the snakes are good too. They'll probably eat any roaches up, along with other noxious TX insects.... Though in all our decade in TX I never saw a snake in our suburb.

N1cky May 7th 2015 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11639981)
Oh for goodness sake, the pest control people would just love for their customers to fear all the creatures hiding in fallen leaf litter are evil and dangerous. Most bugs are good for the soil and do more to keep it healthy and naturally fertile than all this blowing the leaves off and then fertilizing the crap out of the grass below.

I have neighbours who tell me the leaves are too acidic and kill the grass or promote "grub growth". My reply is most of these leaves grew out of the very same soil to which they fall, the soil needs those nutrients back so how could the leaves kill the grass? What kills grass around here in coastal New England is sandy drought-burned soil that has no compost element added back to it because everyone cleans every bit of fallen leaves off... or feels bad if they don't.

And grubs! Grubs aren't all bad for plants, and they're great for birds! My lawn is full of robins now, happily eating up those lawn grubs because I refuse to poison them...

And PFrancaise, the snakes are good too. They'll probably eat any roaches up, along with other noxious TX insects.... Though in all our decade in TX I never saw a snake in our suburb.

:goodpost:

Ozzidoc May 8th 2015 12:13 am

A pool boy

Pulaski May 8th 2015 12:22 am

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11639981)

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11640005)
:goodpost:

Er, I agree with everything you say (except for one). I don't put down insecticides to kill grubs, I don't kill snakes, and I know that a healthy population of black snakes discourages the venomous and short-tempered copperheads. I leave standing "snags" for the woodpeckers (unless/until they become a danger to people or property), and have I nesting boxes out for the bluebirds. Hë11 I mow, and even trim, around most toadstools in my lawn to give them a chance to spread their spores! :nod:

My grass dies if it gets buried under a blanket of leaves and taking a blower to remove them from my lawn, and off the gravel driveway (so as to reduce the amount of organic matter there snd so by reduce the number of weeds growing in the driveway and therefore the need to spray weedkiller) doesn't make me the devil incarnate. :frown: