Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you miss about the UK

Things you miss about the UK

Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you miss about the UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The perception that Britain is crowded result from the enforcement of greenbelt building restrictions. I strongly support preservation of the greenbelt, but it has had harsh consequences when there has been large scale, and largely uncontrolled immigration in a very short period of time.
We were largely unaffected. Most of us are jammed in the Belfast metro area (where I lived, on the outskirts of), then most of the rest of the country is medium sized towns and sheep.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:28 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You must live in a different part of Oregon to me. Passing is done on the right at 60, the "fast" lane is for doing 45. Or atleast that seems to be the way some people drive around here.
I was only there for a few days, so obviously your experience outweighs mine. I'm happy to stick to a general statement that American drivers are ****ing awful regardless of the State they live in.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
.... American drivers are ****ing awful regardless of the State they live in.
The problem is that most of them live in the state of oblivion.

Things are so bad down here that most Americans I know that have moved here, complain about how bad the drivers here are!
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that most of them live in the state of oblivion.

Things are so bad down here that most Americans I know that have moved here, complain about how bad the drivers here are!
Everyone always has those stupid ****ing ribbons on their car with some kind of 'awareness' message.

I keep thinking I should get one that says 'self awareness', because it is in short supply around my way.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Everyone always has those stupid ****ing ribbons on their car with some kind of 'awareness' message.

I keep thinking I should get one that says 'self awareness', because it is in short supply around my way.
I thought they all had fish on their cars down your way.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:43 pm
I have a comma problem

A lot of them have one of those too.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Like most stereotypes of life in The South, that's not true.

I don't seem to see as many fish on cars as I did when I first moved here. Think Browning Buckmark, or other hunting stickers, are more common.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Like most stereotypes of life in The South, that's not true.

I don't seem to see as many fish on cars as I did when I first moved here. Think Browning Buckmark, or other hunting stickers, are more common.
What's the fish on cars down South thing about..??
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:00 pm
I have a comma problem

Jeebus.

There is a correlation I've noticed between the amount of stickers on a car and how shit the driver is. The more, the shittier.

****ing bumper stickers, there's one for the pet peeves thread. Like bloody tattoos, the only person who gives the remotest shit about it is the one who has it, yet it's the rest of us who have to bloody look at them.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:06 pm

Most of them are using it as a Christian symbol, which it apparently has been for most of the last 2,000 years. Not however if the fish has feet.

Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I noticed about the mid-west was that cars with the fish on them were in a rush to meet Jesus. Worst drivers by a mile.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
.... ****ing bumper stickers, there's one for the pet peeves thread. Like bloody tattoos, the only person who gives the remotest shit about it is the one who has it, yet it's the rest of us who have to bloody look at them.
I would prefer to coexist with people who don't have a COEXIST bumper sticker on their car. It doesn't help that probably half the cars are Priuses.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them are using it as a Christian symbol, which it apparently has been for most of the last 2,000 years. Not however if the fish has feet.

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.c...blem-22141.jpg
Yup never ceases to amaze me, the number of Americans who originally hail from Northern Territory.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:11 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.c...blem-22141.jpg
This one is my absolute favourite

Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:11 pm
I have a comma problem

I would prefer to coexist with people who don't have a COEXIST bumper sticker on their car. It doesn't help that probably half the cars are Priuses.
Yeah, they can piss off. As can all the edgy political commentators and people who make dubious jokes about self-diagnosed mental illness.

Also, I have noticed people that seem to want to show off all their kids with those family stickers don't seem to care too much about protecting them while they are in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.