Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

They Are Going To Be On TV

They Are Going To Be On TV

Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:49 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute
Default They Are Going To Be On TV

None of my family have never been to the US before. Some of them came ovr last Thursday to see us and take a brief holiday before going back home. They'd certainly never driven here. So teaching my brother-in-law to drive around here has been interesting. And by interesting I mean I have been certain we would be killed probably 15 times over the weekend. Things like pulling onto the wrong side of the divided highway, trying to enter exit ramps, that sort of thing. But, they are driving to Niagara Falls today, then to Toronto, then to Ottawa, so he best pick it up bloody quick.

With this in mind I sent them out for a drive yesterday by themselves. Something easy - a straight line for 10 miles. I live in Vernon, NY and I sent them to Oriskany, NY to go bird watching which they like to do. (Which, by the way, is actually much duller than you can possibly imagine.) So, they had to drive in a straight line all the way from Vernon till you get to Oriskany on one road. After being gone for 30 minutes I get this phone call from my sister.

Sister: "I think we're lost in Oriskany."

Gavin: "No you aren't. There's only one road in Oriskany."

Sister: "Well, we've been stuck at this traffic light for 10 minutes now."

Traffic light? In Oriskany? There's no traffic light in Oriskany.

It turns out they had been waiting at the flashing red-light for ten minutes whilst other people had been pulling around them.

They leave in 30 minutes for Niagara Falls. So any of you drivers out there, please give them a hard time.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:54 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: They Are Going To Be On TV

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
None of my family have never been to the US before. Some of them came ovr last Thursday to see us and take a brief holiday before going back home. They'd certainly never driven here. So teaching my brother-in-law to drive around here has been interesting. And by interesting I mean I have been certain we would be killed probably 15 times over the weekend. Things like pulling onto the wrong side of the divided highway, trying to enter exit ramps, that sort of thing. But, they are driving to Niagara Falls today, then to Toronto, then to Ottawa, so he best pick it up bloody quick.
The first time my inlaws visited us in Britain was funny - my FIL had never been outside North America before and driving home from the airport was amusing - he sat in the front passenger seat and was fine while we were on dual carriageways but as soon as we got off onto rural single carriageway roads he was less comfortable: for the first four or five times a car approached us coming the other way on the "wrong" side of the road he gasped loudly and gripped the dashboard. He obviously got used to it but he never had to do any driving himself when visiting us.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh....as I hand over the keys to my car to my mother, who is visiting, this morning, this certainly put a smile on my face.
Hope they have a good trip
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It turns out they had been waiting at the flashing red-light for ten minutes whilst other people had been pulling around them.

They leave in 30 minutes for Niagara Falls. So any of you drivers out there, please give them a hard time.

hehehe I love it. Glad I'm not visiting Ottawa this week.

It reminds of my DH stopped at a stop sign. The dude ain't moving for the longest time. Gently I ask what he is waiting for. Shakes his head like a dog with a flea in his ear and says "I'm waiting for the sign to turn green!"

Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

With this in mind I sent them out for a drive yesterday by themselves. Something easy - a straight line for 10 miles. I live in Vernon, NY and I sent them to Oriskany, NY to go bird watching which they like to do. (Which, by the way, is actually much duller than you can possibly imagine.) So, they had to drive in a straight line all the way from Vernon till you get to Oriskany on one road. After being gone for 30 minutes I get this phone call from my sister.

Sister: "I think we're lost in Oriskany."

Gavin: "No you aren't. There's only one road in Oriskany."

Sister: "Well, we've been stuck at this traffic light for 10 minutes now."

Traffic light? In Oriskany? There's no traffic light in Oriskany.

OMG drivers in Ontario are as bad as American drivers (sorry Mo) but they drive much faster.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Insomniac is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm staying indoors today. I'm just outside of Niagara Falls.