Wikiposts

Thermostat

Old May 6th 2010, 4:23 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thermostat

I am happy at 72 but DH and son turn it to anywhere in the 60's when I am not looking! Bills get to $200.00 a month in summer
Old May 7th 2010, 3:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I hate air conditioning unless it get's very humid...I usually set the thermostats downstairs to 80F. I like a cool bedroom...that room is set at 65F.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Hunter U. S. Army Airfield
Lat: 32.03 Lon: -81.15 Elev: 43
Last Update on May 6, 8:55 pm EDT

Fair

75 °F
(24 °C) Humidity: 88 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 29.94" (1014.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 71 °F (22 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.
More Local Wx: 3 Day

Ours is set at 72. More than that just too sticky.
WOW! 88% Humidity! That's sticky indeed!

Here in Scottsdale right now, at 9am, it is 77 degrees, but only 21% humidity (and it will drop to 10% or so as the day progresses). No A/C on at the moment.

Last night I swapped out the lightweight duvet/comforter for a simple sheet. I'll be running the A/C at night only, keeping it down to 80 perhaps.

My problem is, I love it warm - love hanging around the house when it's 90 inside, windows open, etc ... but I do like it cooler when I sleep; but running the a/c all evening just to cool the bedrooms pisses me off as it's too cold!
Old May 7th 2010, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
WOW! 88% Humidity! That's sticky indeed!

Here in Scottsdale right now, at 9am, it is 77 degrees, but only 21% humidity (and it will drop to 10% or so as the day progresses). No A/C on at the moment.

Last night I swapped out the lightweight duvet/comforter for a simple sheet. I'll be running the A/C at night only, keeping it down to 80 perhaps.

My problem is, I love it warm - love hanging around the house when it's 90 inside, windows open, etc ... but I do like it cooler when I sleep; but running the a/c all evening just to cool the bedrooms pisses me off as it's too cold!
Same here. A separate thermostat in each room is the way to go. That way I keep the bedroom cool at night and keep the rest of the house nice and warm.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Same here. A separate thermostat in each room is the way to go. That way I keep the bedroom cool at night and keep the rest of the house nice and warm.
well, that's not quite technically correct ... you can have as many thermostats as you like, but if they are all controlling the same 'air handler' (heating / cooling device) then when any one thermostat 'calls for' cooling, all rooms served by that air handler will be cooled. Bigger homes may have two units, and they are typically set up so that one unit serves the bedrooms and the other unit serves the living rooms, so you can cool different parts differently. But my house in CA, which is 2700 sq. ft, has only one unit and if it cools, it cools everything.

(Note - you CAN get sophisticated by installing automated air-routing dampers, etc - but that gets to be a maintenance nightmare. You can also go around closing vents, but that only works to a point as you need a certain airflow to keep the system working efficiently).
Old May 7th 2010, 8:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Steerpike
well, that's not quite technically correct ... you can have as many thermostats as you like, but if they are all controlling the same 'air handler' (heating / cooling device) then when any one thermostat 'calls for' cooling, all rooms served by that air handler will be cooled. Bigger homes may have two units, and they are typically set up so that one unit serves the bedrooms and the other unit serves the living rooms, so you can cool different parts differently. But my house in CA, which is 2700 sq. ft, has only one unit and if it cools, it cools everything.

(Note - you CAN get sophisticated by installing automated air-routing dampers, etc - but that gets to be a maintenance nightmare. You can also go around closing vents, but that only works to a point as you need a certain airflow to keep the system working efficiently).
We have more than one AC unit and furnace. Even in our condo in Toronto there are 2 units.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When I remodeled my condo, I made the living room, kitchen, and hallway all ceramic tile. But I left the 2 bedrooms (at opposite ends of the condo) carpeted. Big mistake. The tiled rooms stay a lot cooler than the carpeted rooms. So when I am in my bedroom and have the AC cranked down to where I'm comfortable in there, it's freezing in the tiled areas. If I set it to be comfortable in the tiled areas, the bedrooms are roasting. Ugh.

Rene
Old May 8th 2010, 3:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't need ours yet, but I set it at 80 and leave it there. When it gets above 100 outside it cycles on and off 24 hours a day, but at 90 it usually only comes on in the afternoon and cycles till bedtime.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:08 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

82 is the current setting at our house. We have ceiling fans all over the house too though so they go on if it gets too hot.