Tickets to London

Old May 8th 2010, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future
Default Tickets to London

Last year we got flights in April for June from Charleston to London for just over $640 each. This year seems to be a very different story and nothing is coming under $1100-1200. Are they trying to make up for the volcano ash loss or have they just decided to double the price of tickets for the sake of it?
Old May 8th 2010, 4:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tickets to London

You got lucky last year. $1,000 or so for the Summer time peak travel is about average. You might still find some bargains with searching (i.e. change your travel dates so you aren't flying on a Friday or a Sunday is a good start) but generally $1k for a Summer flight is the norm.
Old May 8th 2010, 4:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catgirl View Post
Last year we got flights in April for June from Charleston to London for just over $640 each. This year seems to be a very different story and nothing is coming under $1100-1200. Are they trying to make up for the volcano ash loss or have they just decided to double the price of tickets for the sake of it?
I was thinking the same thing. We are looking for flights too. SFO to MAN
Old May 8th 2010, 12:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. We are going to the UK in late June, returning in July. It would have been $1,600 (US) from Ottawa for a flight that was $900 last year. So we are flying from JFK instead for $1,100.. seems to be the new normal.
Old May 8th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

The day BA announced more strikes the Virgin flights (same airports/flight times etc) that I'd been looking at went up £400, call me cynical but what a coincidence!
Old May 8th 2010, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you guys thought about asking Cindy for help? you never know
Old May 8th 2010, 6:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe start stacking up airmiles via credit card deals to redeem for next year's trip?
Old May 9th 2010, 12:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago, living in the UK, we always got travel insurance when we visited the US - for obvious reasons. Never had to make a claim, so I don't know how good it is. Now we are thinking of paying for travel insurance for our visit to the UK in late June - July, in case of BA strike or ash-cloud. It looks like it would cost about $180-$230 per person. We want to start booking hotels etc. and some of those payments will be non-refundable.

Would insurance work for those possible events, since they are already on the cards as risks? I'll look at some policies and try to read the small print, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions...
Old May 10th 2010, 4:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Tickets to London

The cheapest tickets I've seen so far is from Newark (EWR) to London Gatwick.

The taxes are incredibly cheap - as it's a one-stop routing.

However....the flight is with Iceland Express, so you have a connection in Reykjavik... On 'Flyertalk' one poster says that they are flying into Glasgow if volcanic ash closes the airport in Reykjavik...and you also get a generous luggage allowance.

http://www.icelandexpress.com/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...dc-london.html (See post #7)

Obviously who knows what is going to happen with this volcanic ash, it could go on for a year?
Old May 10th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Wow - I wasn't aware of Iceland Express - I need to travel in June, and their flights are half the price of anyone else - sure, they're a budget airline, and they stop in Iceland, but they are *cheap* !!

However, they fly 737s...not sure about that cross the Atlantic (even with a stop...).

Anyone flown with them ?