Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thats a really great accent - Response

Thats a really great accent - Response

Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:25 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thats a really great accent - Response

Originally Posted by Manc
the floor is the best place to find them, surprised you're still looking.
lol

Wrong - they are normally inserted up my hubby or various satanic childrens asses
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by maddogcharlie
SO I often wondered (cause I hear it a dozen times a day) has anyone come up with a good response to '......thats a really great accent' remarks from cashiers, homeless people, others overhearing your conversation, etc etc?

Ok not totally naive I know when they substitute the word 'cute' for 'great' my luck is in and it could be the start of a wonderful relationship ! but honestly what do you reply?
Saying 'hey yours is really great too' or just 'thanks' seems a bit lame. Someone must have a good response out there ?

Also because of the accent 'Charlie' tends to be interpreted (Especially at StarBucks) as 'Jolly' which gets worse when the server shouts JOLLY after the drink is made.......Christmas this isnt so bad.....rest of the year it is (Stop laughing). Ive tried learning an accent and it isnt working .....I sound like a retarded Elvis/John Wayne mix. Perhaps a baseball hat stating 'Its freakin Charlie not Jolly' might do it.

LOL
We live in a city where a large portion of the population is english, and the accent is considered to be very very sexy.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:27 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I ask people to guess where my accent is from (when they comment on it) ... It's very amusing...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's usually 'Where are you from?' I reply New Jersey can't you tell by the accent?' Then I get silence and .
The accent probably stops 'em from asking "what exit"?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

I always say..

"I'm glad you like it because it's the only one I've got"

It usually goes down well, one guy who was serving me in Subway said that it was the funniest thing that he'd ever heard (my answer, not my accent) .........

I take it that he doesn't get out much
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

good response to '......thats a really great accent' remarks from cashiers, homeless people, others overhearing your conversation, etc etc?

"Thank-you. Wish I could say the same about yours..."

"Wanna know something else really great about me?"

"Yeah, its a burden to have... but its one I can live with."

"There was a 'BOGOF' special...so I decided 'what the hell...go for an English one'..."
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:17 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojofilter
I always say..

"I'm glad you like it because it's the only one I've got"

It usually goes down well, one guy who was serving me in Subway said that it was the funniest thing that he'd ever heard (my answer, not my accent) .........

I take it that he doesn't get out much
probably related to the girl in my local subway that asked my hubby ( while I was standing there) .. "what language does she speak?' - I shit you NOT!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Debs71 is an unknown quantity at this point

i normally say I dont have one, your the one with the accent. they usually dont know what to say so they shut up.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:51 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Saying 'hey yours is really great too' or just 'thanks' seems a bit lame. Someone must have a good response out there ?

Also because of the accent 'Charlie' tends to be interpreted (Especially at StarBucks) as 'Jolly' which gets worse when the server shouts JOLLY after the drink is made.......
LOL

Have you ever considered "Chuck"?

Or Charles?

Maybe you could take English lessons from the same teacher as "House"??
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

maddogcharlie is a jewel in the roughmaddogcharlie is a jewel in the roughmaddogcharlie is a jewel in the roughmaddogcharlie is a jewel in the roughmaddogcharlie is a jewel in the rough

LMAO now thats the kind of humor we need, darn its hard to find this kind of humor locally,

So the plan is ......
'Clarissageo' should use 'anotherlimey's' iconic phrase if its a girl which will definately get major points with her hubby......(sorry Im a bad man) .....high five guys !

and have some tapes recorded (C/o 'Titchski') if its a guy cause likely they will sell like hot cakes !

Following the wise guidance of 'Roadwarrior' I visited the local S/Bucks this afternoon and using the supremely powerfull words of 'Manc' I recieved a phone number in return (Wow....and Im ugly as raven chewed roadkill!). However I elected to use the alternate name of 'Bob' to avoid the aforementioned Jolly problem ! The girl server came over and sat at the table on her break and started chatting, 20 minutes later the barrister poured away my coffee cause no-one responded to Bob LOL. SO the girl either thinks Im some kind of dubious character that uses the wrong name or that Im besotted with her beauty ! Should have taken the blackberry you guys would have an answer to get me through.

'Ironpower' never never never will it be 'chuck' aggh. Charles may be an option but there again so may be the name change option through immigration......maybe 'Miname' as a first name would work LOL?
'Zebbs' conversation killer seems like the most uncomplicated answer thx, or 'Tarkak9's' arsenal of replies should stop them dead LOL.

'Willmore' Im packing my bags now and on my way !
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:08 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

ok this is a true story from back when I was working at State Farm.

This woman came in around 50 years of age or something.
I have a knack of figuring out accents, but I just couldn't put my finger on hers.

So I asked her.

"are you from Eastern Europe, Russian or Ukrainian or something?

she said "No, I had a Stroke 2 years ago".

what a dickhead.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
ok this is a true story from back when I was working at State Farm.

This woman came in around 50 years of age or something.
I have a knack of figuring out accents, but I just couldn't put my finger on hers.

So I asked her.

"are you from Eastern Europe, Russian or Ukrainian or something?

she said "No, I had a Stroke 2 years ago".

what a dickhead.
omg

That would be waaaay embarrassing.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:00 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

SO I often wondered (cause I hear it a dozen times a day) has anyone come up with a good response to '......thats a really great accent' remarks from cashiers, homeless people, others overhearing your conversation, etc etc?
erm thanks, they are making a compliment.

I just hope it continues and I don't loose it which is my worse fear and have that awful pseudo British-American accent when no one in their right mind here or in the UK would say "I love your accent".

I say all my words the British/Scottish way tomato etc but I am annoyed as I now can't seem to say vehicle in the British way but say it like veeickllll - argh
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
erm thanks, they are making a compliment.

I just hope it continues and I don't loose it which is my worse fear and have that awful pseudo British-American accent when no one in their right mind here or in the UK would say "I love your accent".

I say all my words the British/Scottish way tomato etc but I am annoyed as I now can't seem to say vehicle in the British way but say it like veeickllll - argh
Good words are vitamin and aluminium.

I know because another vet used to follow Keith around and make him say them

My personal favorites are good (guid) and murder. Don't ask.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:24 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Good words are vitamin and aluminium.

I know because another vet used to follow Keith around and make him say them

My personal favorites are good (guid) and murder. Don't ask.
Those are very easy to say and keep the right accent on them (may it long continue!) but British people don't use the word vehicle a lot. Though I think I might also be having difficulties with jaguar, I have heard it now so often here I have to concentrate on saying it 'right'.

I can understand why you like a Scottish person to say murder it is different

I think there should be a wiki section on Scottish, English etc voices where you can go and click on a word you feel you can't remember how it is supposed to sound, so we can keep our accents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.