British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Tendency amongst young American women to employ Vocal Fry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/tendency-amongst-young-american-women-employ-vocal-fry-940413/)

Boomhauer Sep 1st 2021 12:00 am

Tendency amongst young American women to employ Vocal Fry

The Kardashians, Britney Spears, Kesha, Paris Hilton and many other female celebs employ it. A study found 2/3rd of college girls talk this way. It's associated with Southern Califronia Valley Girl slang and intonation.

What is vocal fry? These links explain it better than I can:

..vocal fry – the creaky voice they often do at the end of sentences that makes them sound eternally bored, cool and relaxed, depending on the listener.
https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/artic...rise-listeners

Vocal fry is the lowest register (tone) of your voice characterized by its deep, creaky, breathy sound.When you speak, your vocal cords naturally close to create vibrations as air passes between them. Like a piano or guitar string, these vibrations produce sound (your voice). When you breathe, your vocal cords are relaxed and open to let air pass through freely, which doesn’t produce any sound.

When you use vocal fry, you relax your vocal cords but do not increase the amount of air you’re pushing past your vocal cords, which produces slower vibrations and ultimately results in the lower creaky sound.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ining-my-voice

Skip to 0:45 seconds in to see an example of the Kardashians employing vocal fry

Vocal fry and Uptalk are quite amusing.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 1st 2021 2:10 am

Re: Tendency amongst young American women to employ Vocal Fry

I don't know if its proper vocal fry but is still an interesting 1982 news report on the OG valley girls, upper middle class San Fernando Valley teenagers.

robin1234 Sep 1st 2021 12:05 pm

I think the train left the station, or the horse left the barn, on vocal fry, years ago. I don’t know about Kardashions, Kesha, or other “ celebrities.” I’ve never seen them, never heard them speak. But you just need to listen to younger women NPR reporters, commentators etc. Vocal fry is ubiquitous among the youngsters (under 35s?) and has been for several years. Fortunately, it doesn’t bother me. Unlike when they start their sentences with “So…” or “I mean …”

Here’s a piece about the “I mean” thing.
https://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.co...nough-already/

Shard Sep 1st 2021 2:47 pm

Cool. I knew about uptalk (from back in the day) but I didn't really know "vocal fry". Will listen out for it.

robin1234 Sep 1st 2021 3:27 pm

Further to my earlier post, here’s a really interesting article from NPR about radio voices, and how some younger reporters and commentators have in the past felt pressure to adapt their voices to traditional white, Midwest, middle class radio norms.

https://www.npr.org/sections/publice...eal-person-too

Anyway, this article has quite a long section devoted to vocal fry. Among the observations; people over the age of forty are annoyed by vocal fry, complain about it, and don’t find experts or commentators who employ vocal fry to be authoritative. People younger than forty aren’t bothered by it.

Boomhauer Sep 2nd 2021 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13046784)
Cool. I knew about uptalk (from back in the day) but I didn't really know "vocal fry". Will listen out for it.

Here's Connie Chung doing a segment on uptalk; of all the youtube videos giving examples of uptalk, I think Connie's exaggerated one is the best.

BEVS Sep 2nd 2021 4:57 am

Many young women here employ croaky voices with the upswing at the end of every sentence as though they ran out of air.

Boomhauer Sep 2nd 2021 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13046991)
Many young women here employ croaky voices with the upswing at the end of every sentence as though they ran out of air.

Is this vocal fry and uptalk making inroads in the other Anglosphere countries?

SanDiegogirl Sep 2nd 2021 8:08 pm

To me many young US females have high pitched nasal voices - even those not so young have them, whereas European voices tend to be of a much lower pitch and not so ear shattering.

.... and what's with the trend nowadays of screeching whenever you meet someone, no matter where you are? ...department store, restaurant, etc

robin1234 Sep 2nd 2021 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13047199)
To me many young US females have high pitched nasal voices - even those not so young have them, whereas European voices tend to be of a much lower pitch and not so ear shattering.

.... and what's with the trend nowadays of screeching whenever you meet someone, no matter where you are? ...department store, restaurant, etc

Hmm … nearly two years since I was in a restaurant or department store .. :eek:

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 2nd 2021 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13047219)
Hmm … nearly two years since I was in a restaurant or department store .. :eek:

A proper department store like Macy's or The Bay or such, I think its been about 10 years for me, but I have been to big box general retailers like Wal-Mart, but I can't remember the last sit down restaurant, maybe 2019 ish or 2018 ish.

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 2nd 2021 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13046729)
I think the train left the station, or the horse left the barn, on vocal fry, years ago. I don’t know about Kardashions, Kesha, or other “ celebrities.” I’ve never seen them, never heard them speak. But you just need to listen to younger women NPR reporters, commentators etc. Vocal fry is ubiquitous among the youngsters (under 35s?) and has been for several years. Fortunately, it doesn’t bother me. Unlike when they start their sentences with “So…” or “I mean …”

Here’s a piece about the “I mean” thing.
https://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.co...nough-already/

The latest annoying word for me and the OH is "look". We are noticing it a lot, with politicians and journalists starting a sentence with it.

robin1234 Sep 3rd 2021 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13047224)
A proper department store like Macy's or The Bay or such, I think its been about 10 years for me, but I have been to big box general retailers like Wal-Mart, but I can't remember the last sit down restaurant, maybe 2019 ish or 2018 ish.

True. For me, a place only counts as a department store if you have to walk through the perfume and make-up department to get in, and if you have to take the elevator to get to haberdashery.

Boomhauer Sep 3rd 2021 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13047235)
The latest annoying word for me and the OH is "look". We are noticing it a lot, with politicians and journalists starting a sentence with it.

Annoying words: "like" , "honestly" , "literally"

When speaking, what's the deal with everyone starting a sentence with "honestly" ? Does this mean the person is only being honest when they start a stence with "honestly". This was not common in the 90s and early 2000s.

BEVS Sep 3rd 2021 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 13047149)
Is this vocal fry and uptalk making inroads in the other Anglosphere countries?

Honestly? I literally don't know. NZ is not , like , that Anglo in its ways. Look , try N American ?