British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Tea or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/tea-not-800047/)

Cardienscarf Jun 13th 2013 9:31 pm

Tea or not

Now that I'm leaving, I decided it was time to do the Celestial Seasonings tour. During the tour, our guide said that 80% of their teas are actually herbal infusions but they call them tea because you pour hot water on them so that's what Americans think they are. :thumbup:

joto Jun 14th 2013 2:39 am

Re: Tea of not

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10755840)
Now that I'm leaving, I decided it was time to do the Celestial Seasonings tour. During the tour, our guide said that 80% of their teas are actually herbal infusions but they call them tea because you pour hot water on them so that's what Americans think they are. :thumbup:

That's good to know. I have been wary of using those, as real tea upsets my stomach and didn't know if there was any tea hidden in the ingredients.

WEBlue Jun 14th 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10755840)
During the tour, our guide said that 80% of their teas are actually herbal infusions but they call them tea because you pour hot water on them so that's what Americans think they are. :thumbup:

Yes, this has always puzzled me. Before the "herbal tea" concept exploded in popularity, when we lived in Europe I remembered these hot herbal drinks being called tisanes or infusions to distinguish them from caffienated "teas". Now everything is randomly called "tea" if you pour not water on to activate it.

And I find these new combinations of what I call "tea" plus added herbs/spices/flavours/whatever very confusing. :thumbdown: If I want a soothing herbal concoction, I don't want to see black, orange, white, or green "tea leaves" anywhere in it. And if I'm looking for my usual black "breakfast tea", I don't want THAT jazzed up with silly extra ingredients either!

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 11:38 am

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

Everything else is not tea. :frown:

BunnyGirl Jun 14th 2013 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756544)
Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

:goodpost:

Cardienscarf Jun 14th 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 10756049)
That's good to know. I have been wary of using those, as real tea upsets my stomach and didn't know if there was any tea hidden in the ingredients.

I think you'd be completely safe with Celestial Seasonings. They are very proud of the purity of their 'teas'. Their real tea leaves are kept in a room all by themselves as they are extremely absorbent and would take up the fragrances from the other herbs if they were in the same storage area. So I think it's safe to say that they never get mixed.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 2:23 pm

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

You forgot strong and unsweetened :nod:

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756778)
You forgot strong and unsweetened :nod:

I also forgot "accompanied by Rich Tea Biscuits". :)

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756817)
I also forgot "accompanied by Rich Tea Biscuits". :)

I would also have accepted Bourbon Creams or Fox's Classics.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10756818)
I would also have accepted Bourbon Creams or Fox's Classics.

:nod: You are wise in the ways of biscuits.

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10756819)
:nod: You are wise in the ways of biscuits.

I like to think I am, yes.

kimilseung Jun 14th 2013 3:17 pm

I am quite the bore in pointing out, that what I have been offered as tea, is in fact not. "Please purloin some for my future visits" I state as I stomp out of their home. Offering an infusion to a Brit is quite the insult.

It is kind of funny looking at some pantries of "tea" drinkers, boxes and boxes of the stuff, but no actual tea.

Yorkieabroad Jun 14th 2013 3:18 pm

Tea is..

1) Hot
2) Black
3) Indian

Agreed...you couldn't get me to drink it any other way...not for all the tea in China:lol:

SultanOfSwing Jun 14th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10756870)
I am quite the bore in pointing out, that what I have been offered as tea, is in fact not. "Please purloin some for my future visits" I state as I stomp out of their home. Offering an infusion to a Brit is quite the insult.

:lol:

I find it easier to ask for water, when offered a drink at someone's house. That eliminates the chance of being given an infusion or being forced to drink coffee.

Nutek Jun 14th 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10756870)

It is kind of funny looking at some pantries of "tea" drinkers, boxes and boxes of the stuff, but no actual tea.

Granny Nutek would have been outraged! Nothing but carefully brewed indian tea went into her seemingly bottomless teapot with it's hand-knitted cosy.

(Granny Nutek rocked btw). :)