T V advice

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future
Default T V advice

Hi All

We have an LG 42" plasma TV. Model number 42PX4DV-AA. (Australian)

Will this work back in the UK?

Cheers

Al
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: T V advice

I read just last week that both Australia and UK use the PAL system of TV transmission. I'm not even sure if that is still relevant nowadays anyway with digital TV, but in any case I am almost 100% certain the answer is Yes!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRONS
Hi All

Cheers

Al
You'll only be able to watch Neighbours, Home & Away, Prisoner Cell Block H and reruns of Mad Max.

The short answer is yes, but. It depends what you want to watch. The options are
1) Analog over the air (OTA) - this is what we all grew up with, BBC1 BBC2 ITV CH4 and CH5 in some areas, but is being phased out
2) Freeview which is replacing the Analog OTA
3) Sky or Cable

For analog the broadcast standards are slightly different (Britain uses PAL-I, Australia PAL-B/G.) This means the way that the picture / sound are carried over the air (from the transmitter to your ariel) is different. So the internal tuner for your TV will be set up for the B/G standards, and will not be able to decode sound for over the air analog broadcasts. It might be configurable though, check your manual.

For freeview both Australia and the UK use DVT-B. They implement it slightly differently (the UK uses 8MHz channels, AU 7MHz channels.) So if you have an internal DVT-B tuner then you should check that it can be configured to support the UK standard. For more DVT-B info: http://www.dvb.org/

Of course, if you are planning to get Sky or Cable then this is all moot. The signal that comes out the back of a sky or cable box (or for that matter a freeview box or VCR) will be recognized by your TV, and you can do your channel surfing on the box rather than the TV.

Last edited by notacrime; Jan 2nd 2009 at 5:02 pm. Reason: reorg
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Al
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by IRONS
Hi All

Cheers

Al
I have same TV as you and we are taking it back to UK. I have spoke to LG in UK and OZ and both have said YES it will work in UK.