Summer plans...

Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

PatrioticBriton1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer plans...

Hi there. I haven't been very active, because I've been busy planning my move back to the UK, permenantly. I will have at least $6,000 CAD by July, and so I have two scenarios to ponder over...

The first, is to come back to the UK for a holiday this summer with my family (For seven weeks or so), and then come back to Canada to collect the rest of my belongings and take them with me at the end of September. This will allow me to set a more permenant step in the UK, because I will be searching for a job, and a place to stay. If I cannot find a job, then I will not be returning to the UK until I can afford to make another attempt.

The second scenario is firm upon staying in the UK from July onwards, by staying where I usually stay (With my uncle) for as long as possible, until I can afford to rent a flat or small house locally with a job (or two) in hand. If this scenario starts to fail, (funds fall below £1,000) then a flight to Canada would be necessary by the end of the month. Then I will stay with my parents and save money until I can make another attempt.

These are my plans, but they are only guidelines. If any of you have any critisism or suggestions, please don't hesitate to tell me.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer plans...

Hello. I read another one of your topics in which you wrote out a discussion you had with your dad where he stated his reasons for moving the family to Canada.

I don't have much to add to your plans other than just to wish you well and good luck. I feel sorry for you because I know what you are going through. I too was brought to Canada when I was a teenager, right after GCSEs, with my parents and sisters. Initially I did not want to move here and argued with my parents but I did not get my way. I was planning to continue schooling when my parents decided to move us here, I wanted to take A-Levels and go to university so I could not just stay in London and find a job and support myself so I ended up having to come along. I ended up doing all of that (university etc.) in Toronto. Now I have a great job and continue to live in Toronto and I am well settled here, but the London/UK continues to call. I really wish the desire to return would go away because I am doing well here now and logically it may be better to stay, but logic has difficulty standing up to what the heart desires sometimes. I think this is due to having been brought here against my will just as you were. Perhaps it would do me/you good to go back and realize for ourselves whether it's good for us and then possibly return here with our own conviction.

Even though I consider moving back to the UK, I know it will be a struggle even for me at my age (mid 20s), even with the qualifications, experience and job opportunities I have. My main concern for you at your age (I presume 17 given your username) is that it would be considerably harder. The 'safe'/logical thing to do may be to continue to stay with your parents until you can gain the education level you wish to attain and/or appropriate job skills and then after that try and return. Without this you may struggle all alone in the UK, although if your uncle is there as you say and can help you then that will make it a lot easier. Are you in school now?

If your mind is made up then your plan sounds reasonable enough and I wish you a heartfelt good luck to you. May you find happiness.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

PatrioticBriton1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Summer plans...

Yes, I am in school at the moment, and will Graduate in June.
I have a weekend job that pays $13.72 an hour, and I will be working 16 hours a week, plus any substitute work for 4 hours on weekdays (4:00-8:00). I have done the calculations and I will have saved up around $6000 by July. I'm also entering other chances of getting cash. (Legally). I've been entering the McDonald's sweepstakes, (an additional $1,000), and I am looking at other ways to earn more money before July.
Thank you for your response.