Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Summer Camp for kids

Summer Camp for kids

Old May 20th 2008, 2:29 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer Camp for kids

Often considered to be the done thing in America, I was wondering what you thought about the idea of sending the kids off to Camp over the summer break. If you think it's a good idea, at what age would you send your little darlings?
Old May 20th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Camp for kids

Originally Posted by JEM3110
Often considered to be the done thing in America, I was wondering what you thought about the idea of sending the kids off to Camp over the summer break. If you think it's a good idea, at what age would you send your little darlings?
Do you mean the ones were you send them off for a couple of weeks.?? I reckon anytime from about 6 months old would be fine!!!!!
Old May 20th 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink
Do you mean the ones were you send them off for a couple of weeks.?? I reckon anytime from about 6 months old would be fine!!!!!
I hear ya!
Old May 20th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, I'm not sure really. I think it depends on the type of camp and the type of child. A friend of mine is sending her son (on his request) to a camp for 2 weeks. He will know no-one.. My son wouldn't even consider it! I think they can be a great thing for kids.. mind you, not cheap!!

I'm sending mine to Camp 'UK' for 2 weeks instead!!
Old May 20th 2008, 2:43 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the local YMCA do 'camp' stuff from about 6 - dont think thats the 2 weeks away from home one tho.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink
Seriously, I'm not sure really. I think it depends on the type of camp and the type of child. A friend of mine is sending her son (on his request) to a camp for 2 weeks. He will know no-one.. My son wouldn't even consider it! I think they can be a great thing for kids.. mind you, not cheap!!

I'm sending mine to Camp 'UK' for 2 weeks instead!!

A neighbour of mine is sending her 2 kids a boy 10 and a girl 12, and has no qualms about it!

The summer break is so long here and its a pain trying to keep them entertained. I've got my boy signed up for about 4 different day camps, but he is only 6. I was thinking maybe 10/11 is a good age?
Old May 20th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter started going to camp when she was 7. Loved it then and loves it now at 14. the other a year older just doesnt have the inclination to go.

I was worried to death, but they have a great website where they take pics of the kids everyday and post them on the site at night. Great to see just how she was doing..

So now were over here, she is still going to the one over there. She goes to Amaland... a little piece of rock off Holland. Costs me 300 Euros for 2 weeks. www.lager-bramgau.de just for those that have no life and want to look what its like. Actually when i see how they sleep.....

Camps over here are bloody expensive.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui
the local YMCA do 'camp' stuff from about 6 - dont think thats the 2 weeks away from home one tho.
Yes, we're doing the day camp one with the YMCA, 9am to 3pm Mon to Fri, lots of outdoor activities and they swim everyday. Hopefully it will be OK - not cheap though, $165 for one week

Last edited by JEM3110; May 20th 2008 at 2:52 pm.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:52 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Im actually putting my 3 year old in the zoo!

Columbus Zoo does a half day a week program over the summer months. Cost 85 per month. The kids get to look at specific animals, have a snack and do an arts and craft thing too. Just a couple of hours but my boy was quite interested in attending so we shall see! Gives me a half day to do something fun with my youngest (as we have a zoo season ticket we may even spend the time in the zoo anyway).
Old May 20th 2008, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter didn't go away to camp. She went to tennis camp each day for a month each summer. When she was a junior she took a summer uni course and was away for 7 weeks.
Old May 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

My son went to camp with a friend for a week aged 9. He enjoyed it but not enough to go again. Both my kids (now 11 and 13) enjoy day camps. My son is doing percussion camp and tennis this summer and my daughter is doing fiddle, art, theatre and tennis. The summers are long but the longer we are here the quicker they seem to whizz by....it will be time to buy all that "back to school" crap before we know it!
Old May 20th 2008, 4:42 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
My son went to camp with a friend for a week aged 9. He enjoyed it but not enough to go again. Both my kids (now 11 and 13) enjoy day camps. My son is doing percussion camp and tennis this summer and my daughter is doing fiddle, art, theatre and tennis. The summers are long but the longer we are here the quicker they seem to whizz by....it will be time to buy all that "back to school" crap before we know it!
would never send the little treasures away overnight, they are doing activities locally, swimming lessons, gymnastics and stuff like that, but its for a few hours a day - no more, gives them and me a break from each other during the TEN WEEK SUMMER HOLIDAY!!
Old May 20th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
TEN WEEK SUMMER HOLIDAY!!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I'm doing the same... mostly Soccer Camps - but tbh even though they have a lonnnnnggggggggg holiday there is alot of things to choose from... We will need to take a second mortgage to pay for it all though.. but heyho!
Old May 20th 2008, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
during the TEN WEEK SUMMER HOLIDAY!!
hehehe..I had 12 weeks when I was growing up. Couldn't imagine anything shorter. I never had the chance for a summer/day camp - parents didn't have enough money. I envy some of the kids today (and my childhood friends) that have opportunities I never had..<sigh> Makes me feel like I'm lacking..
Old May 20th 2008, 6:09 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest (12 ) is going on a horse camp for a few nights and will do some day camps. She loves going away (what does that say about home!) and has just been to Canada with the school for a week.

Most of her friends used to go away to camp when they were around 8,9,10 but have stopped now so she wouldn't have anyone to go with.

Some of the camps near here are lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.