Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Suede - reversed leather.

Suede - reversed leather.

Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suede - reversed leather.

I used to have Merrell trail running shoes that were suede. They weren't like leather on the inside. First time I am hearing of the term "reverse leather". Right now I have RedWings leather boots and the inside is not like suede.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:14 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Are you in construction, equestrian eventing, or partake in activities that place undue wear on your footwear?
Talking winter mountain boots, so kicking steps and the like.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of 'reversed leather' until I saw this post, and thinking back, I'd always thought of 'suede' as being leather reversed. So in the case of heavy duty boots, you want 'reversed leather' (which means that it still has the leather 'surface' on the inside, presumably for structural reasons).

What's the benefit of having the 'fur' on the outside? I would have thought that would retain water, rather than shedding it like a well-polished 'traditional leather' surface would. Do you oil the 'fur' (sorry, probably not the right term but you get what I mean ... ) and thus have a thicker barrier?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I had never heard of 'reversed leather' until I saw this post, and thinking back, I'd always thought of 'suede' as being leather reversed. So in the case of heavy duty boots, you want 'reversed leather' (which means that it still has the leather 'surface' on the inside, presumably for structural reasons).

What's the benefit of having the 'fur' on the outside? I would have thought that would retain water, rather than shedding it like a well-polished 'traditional leather' surface would. Do you oil the 'fur' (sorry, probably not the right term but you get what I mean ... ) and thus have a thicker barrier?
The reason to have the skin side inside, is to protect it. Any scuffs or cuts affect the least useful part of the hide. (it also exposes the part least able to protect itself from scuffs, and why most high street shoes don't do it, as it can get beat up looking) If the 'leather' part was on the outside and got a nick, it would reduce its weatherproofing. Applying Nikwax or something similar increases the waterproofness.

So having the 'leather' on the inside might increase the chance of having water in the hide, but reduces the chance that the water will get to your feet. You are sacrificing the crappy part of the hide, in order to protect the good part of the hide.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 19th 2015 at 11:14 am.