Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

This site is a godsend for me. Thanks all.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon

As a prime example, I've been here for eight years and I still hate 4-way stop signs. Driving takes a bit of extra focus at first, but it'll eventually become second nature; then again, every now and again when I'm really tired I still find myself drifting to the left of the road.
I never had that problem, but it took me years to get out of the habit or walking to the passenger side of the car when out and about, at home it wasn't a hassle, but usually when topping up at the petrol station or something
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
This site is a godsend for me. Thanks all.
IMO once you realise you're not the only one going through all this...you've overcome a major hurdle. I thought it was just me who found it hard...so there must be something wrong with me...right? Wrong...almost all the Brits on here have been through the same emotions.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I never had that problem, but it took me years to get out of the habit or walking to the passenger side of the car when out and about, at home it wasn't a hassle, but usually when topping up at the petrol station or something
Funny you should mention that as I actually did that just last night for the first time in maybe five years.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Originally Posted by CitySimon
Funny you should mention that as I actually did that just last night for the first time in maybe five years.
It's weird that one. I've lived here for 25 years (much more that half my years as a driver!) and when approaching a car in a parking lot or in a driveway, I have to look in through the rear window to see which is the driver's side and which the passenger's. If the car is parked on the street it is not an issue, I know which side is which ..

I do like 4-way stops though. Here in rural New York, drivers are so unbelievably courteous and punctilious, they all come to a stop and pull out in strict rotation of order of arrival. It makes me feel all warm & fuzzy about old-fashioned politeness!! I know it isn't that way in Boston, and probably not in CA either.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:30 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a little better (although not much). It helps knowing others have experienced the same even after such a short amount of time.
My major hangup at the moment seems to be the driving. I need to drive to get to work and as I found out yesterday (after a 3 hour walk in the hot sun), things are pretty spaced out here. I'm ok on the freeways (experienced rush hour on the way from the airport), it's the normal roads I struggle with, 4 way stops, left turns, where to pull in to places etc. I'm thinking of getting a few lessons (even though I've been driving in the UK for over 20 years) to give me a bit more confidence and to explain the whole procedure of getting a US license. If I became comfortable with driving I could go to the coast at the weekends which I love and is one of the main reasons I wanted to come out here.
On a side note, when filling up with gas, I believe you have to pay first here. If using a US credit card, you enter your zip code. As I don't have one yet, would I go in to pay first and how would that work if you wanted to fill up and didn't know how much the tank would take? It's amazing how such trivial things cause stress when you're out of your element.
I'm sure you are realizing from all the replies that most of us have gone through the same thing.

I was also really nervous of the driving when we landed in LA and did a 1 hour driving lesson with these guys. I told them I had just moved from the UK and was nervous about driving. TBH for what I learnt on the lesson it was a waste of money, after driving for 15 years it turns out I already knew most things. However, as a confidence thing it was priceless. They offer in car training in Stevensons Ranch.

http://www.driverseddirect.com/

Good luck, and welcome to BE, it honestly can be the best website you'll ever come across.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

I do like 4-way stops though. Here in rural New York, drivers are so unbelievably courteous and punctilious, they all come to a stop and pull out in strict rotation of order of arrival. It makes me feel all warm & fuzzy about old-fashioned politeness!! I know it isn't that way in Boston, and probably not in CA either.
DH says he can't get used to them, they're just way too polite.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm sure you are realizing from all the replies that most of us have gone through the same thing.

I was also really nervous of the driving when we landed in LA and did a 1 hour driving lesson with these guys. I told them I had just moved from the UK and was nervous about driving. TBH for what I learnt on the lesson it was a waste of money, after driving for 15 years it turns out I already knew most things. However, as a confidence thing it was priceless. They offer in car training in Stevensons Ranch.

http://www.driverseddirect.com/

Good luck, and welcome to BE, it honestly can be the best website you'll ever come across.
Yep I'm going to give those a go. I'm sure I do know most of the theory and as I say, I've been driving in the UK for a long time. It is just a pure confidence thing.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:26 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Just don't get complacent about 4-ways. Most of the small roads around me were 4-way stops when I lived in semi-rural New York, and I got very used to the repetitive cycle of slow, stop, look around, go. On my 17th birthday, I pulled up to what I thought was a four way stop, didn't look around well enough (the intersection was angled, so the road off to my left was more than 90 degrees away from the road ahead of me, and a glance to the left didn't take everything in), pulled out, and got hit in the left side by a utility truck. Turned out NOT to be a four-way - only my road had to stop. First and only accident and put me off driving at all for years.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know it isn't that way in Boston, and probably not in CA either.
Down my way, it really is the case of who's got the biggest car
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
On a side note, when filling up with gas, I believe you have to pay first here. If using a US credit card, you enter your zip code. As I don't have one yet, would I go in to pay first and how would that work if you wanted to fill up and didn't know how much the tank would take? It's amazing how such trivial things cause stress when you're out of your element.
when asked for your pin, enter 00000

Try www.meetup.com to find new friends/acquantainces/things to do.

It will get better
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
when asked for your pin, enter 00000
Ah cool if that works that will be easier. I only have UK debit & credit cards at the moment until I get my SSN and bank account sorted.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a little better (although not much). It helps knowing others have experienced the same even after such a short amount of time.
My major hangup at the moment seems to be the driving. I need to drive to get to work and as I found out yesterday (after a 3 hour walk in the hot sun), things are pretty spaced out here. I'm ok on the freeways (experienced rush hour on the way from the airport), it's the normal roads I struggle with, 4 way stops, left turns, where to pull in to places etc. I'm thinking of getting a few lessons (even though I've been driving in the UK for over 20 years) to give me a bit more confidence and to explain the whole procedure of getting a US license. If I became comfortable with driving I could go to the coast at the weekends which I love and is one of the main reasons I wanted to come out here.
I live in the Los Feliz area and have never lived in the Santa Clarita valley.

On driving -- it take a little time. You are on the "wrong" side of the road and car. I have a bitch when renting a car in the UK.

On gas -- try and estimate it. Give the cashier behind the bullet-proof window payment and say something like "Pump 8, please" If you have change coming back -- the cashier will give it to you. BTW, if you have an AmEx card, join Costco. They have the best prices for gas. I remember a trip to Oregon some years back -- I went to fill my tank and the guy comes running out "This is not California! No self-service!"

I've been driving here since 1966. If two cars come simultaneously to an intersection, the car on the right has the right-of-way. So, this morning, for the very first time, four of use came simultaneously to a four way stop. It was interesting.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I used to work for an immigrant from South Africa. He had no trouble driving other than in backing up and he avoided parallel parking like the plague.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Commentator

Actually, I find the drivers in SoCal to be fairly polite about such things. When my daughter went to school in Boston and I rented a car on visits, she clued me in on "offensive driving" as opposed to the "defensive driving" they teach here in California.

I've already written about my experience at the four-way stop this morning where we all arrived simultaneously.

btw, my UK clients have assured me that traffic circles are, in fact, a plot to drive American tourists nuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.