Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Which State would you live, AK,WA,OR,CA,TX or NM?

Wikiposts

Which State would you live, AK,WA,OR,CA,TX or NM?

Old May 11th 2016, 12:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which State would you live, AK,WA,OR,CA,TX or NM?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Made me laugh when I heard New Mexico has decent weather, well maybe for a rattlesnake
What's wrong with the weather in New Mexico?

It does depend on where though. I wouldn't live in Las Cruces. But mainly because it's a dump, not because of the weather.

And in defence of Texas, it is a big place. Eastern Texas strikes me as being the extreme western edge of easterness, if that makes any sense.

But as regards the Texas v. California comparison, that is something I've heard in the past, i.e. moved to Texas because they thought it would be cheaper to live there, then got hammered with property tax. I couldn't believe how much my friend in Austin was paying on his house.

And people going on about how fantastic that muddy puddle called Lake Travis is. It's nothing compared to say, Lake Tahoe or Lake Louise.

Anyway I wouldn't live in California or Texas in any major city purely because of the traffic.
Old May 11th 2016, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Well I moved from TX to OR in 2010 and have absolutely no regrets. It is more expensive though.
Old May 11th 2016, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Threads like these are pretty futile, most on this forum were parachuted into one particular spot for work or their partner's work and have never lived anywhere else in the US. I've been here 10 years and have lived in New York and Florida and now Illinois. Having been to California several times, I'd run like a thoroughbred the other way if that was on offer, just so overrated. Expensive, huge wealth inequality, a lot of snobs, not much of a 24 hour culture compared to the east coast. I'd go Texas out of any of them, amazing weather, good standard of living and low taxes with any half decent job. Great food there as well, proper portions, not like those shitty European style portions you get in California. Good luck
"Amazing weather in TX", LOL, have you actually lived in TX, where it can be over 100 for 3 months? It's f'ing miserable.
Old May 12th 2016, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm not saying it's wrong, but I just wouldn't say it has decent weather. Sure, we all have a different opinions and some people seem to be addicted to the sun like a reptile, but we aren't reptiles It's just not sustainable to have a city like Albuquerque in the desert and while some people might moan about rain, we as humans need it and there just isn't enough of it in most parts of New Mexico.

Like it or not, Portland is just more sustainable and the climate is ideal for humans. You have nearly as much sun as Barcelona and it's slightly wetter than Dublin.
Old May 12th 2016, 2:06 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Which country should I move to? I'm considering Italy, Slovenia, Denmark, Portugal and the Faroe Islands.
Old May 12th 2016, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Which country should I move to? I'm considering Italy, Slovenia, Denmark, Portugal and the Faroe Islands.
That's pretty easy. Work in Denmark to get a decent pension and then spend your retirement in Portugal, Italy or Slovenia. I would avoid the Faroe Islands, because you might as well go to Orkney
Old May 12th 2016, 4:16 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That's pretty easy. Work in Denmark to get a decent pension and then spend your retirement in Portugal, Italy or Slovenia. I would avoid the Faroe Islands, because you might as well go to Orkney
Unless you have a particular fondness for whale slaughter, of course...
Old May 12th 2016, 4:55 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend on where though. I wouldn't live in Las Cruces. But mainly because it's a dump, not because of the weather.

And in defence of Texas, it is a big place. Eastern Texas strikes me as being the extreme western edge of easterness, if that makes any sense.

But as regards the Texas v. California comparison, that is something I've heard in the past, i.e. moved to Texas because they thought it would be cheaper to live there, then got hammered with property tax. I couldn't believe how much my friend in Austin was paying on his house.

And people going on about how fantastic that muddy puddle called Lake Travis is. It's nothing compared to say, Lake Tahoe or Lake Louise.

Anyway I wouldn't live in California or Texas in any major city purely because of the traffic.
If you live in San Francisco there's the Bay Area Rapid Transit. Los Angeles has been in process of building Metro LInk for several years. There's really no need to mess with traffic
Old May 17th 2016, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
If you live in San Francisco there's the Bay Area Rapid Transit. Los Angeles has been in process of building Metro LInk for several years. There's really no need to mess with traffic
BART is just a single line going thru the city, mostly used by commuters. San Francisco has a quite good transit system, MUNI, buses and light rail. There is also the trolley cars and cable cars, which are mainly for tourists.
I rarely drive into the city, unless it is to the outlying parts like the Marina or Golden Gate Park, where parking is easier. Driving in the city is quite an experience, better be good at uphill starts.
Good thing we don't get snow and ice in SF..

Last edited by johnwoo; May 17th 2016 at 9:06 am.
Old May 17th 2016, 11:31 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
However good public transport might be, the reality is that New Mexico doesn't have large cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco. Even Albuquerque is only 750,000 people. No comparison really. It's just less hassle getting around.

Having spent plenty of time in California and New Mexico, I know which one I prefer. The only real draw of California is the beach.
Old May 17th 2016, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

However good public transport might be, the reality is that New Mexico doesn't have large cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco. Even Albuquerque is only 750,000 people. No comparison really. It's just less hassle getting around.

Having spent plenty of time in California and New Mexico, I know which one I prefer. The only real draw of California is the beach.
One of the things that matter to me, is being close to the ocean. I can't imagine living 1500 miles from the sea.
Old May 17th 2016, 12:12 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
BART is just a single line going thru the city, mostly used by commuters. San Francisco has a quite good transit system, MUNI, buses and light rail. There is also the trolley cars and cable cars, which are mainly for tourists.
I rarely drive into the city, unless it is to the outlying parts like the Marina or Golden Gate Park, where parking is easier. Driving in the city is quite an experience, better be good at uphill starts.
Good thing we don't get snow and ice in SF..
The fogs though. It's quite a sight to stand on top of Twin Peaks at night and see the fog come in. One minute the blaze of lights from below and then they're gone
Old May 17th 2016, 12:15 pm
Banned

One of the things that matter to me, is being close to the ocean. I can't imagine living 1500 miles from the sea.
Agree with you there. I like the desert and mountains a lot but I would miss those drives up the coast on PCH, Santa Cruz, Monterey and on up to Oregon and it's quiet scenic beaches
Old May 17th 2016, 1:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Oh dear you've been living in America too long. You've forgotten that you can actually cross borders to get to the sea. Albuquerque is only 500 miles from the sea (in a straight line). The Gulf of California.

Hear this one a lot from Americans about Phoenix "but you've got to travel all the way to Los Angeles to get to the beach." Erm.... no. And San Diego is closer anyway.

It's only 200 miles or so from Phoenix to Rocky Point.
Old May 17th 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear you've been living in America too long. You've forgotten that you can actually cross borders to get to the sea. Albuquerque is only 500 miles from the sea (in a straight line). The Gulf of California.

Hear this one a lot from Americans about Phoenix "but you've got to travel all the way to Los Angeles to get to the beach." Erm.... no. And San Diego is closer anyway.

It's only 200 miles or so from Phoenix to Rocky Point.
You gotta be kidding, 200 miles, 500 miles to the beach , I can be at the ocean in 40 minutes max, My wife and I often go by the beach for lunch. In fact we were just talking today of popping over to Half Moon Bay for Lunch tomorrow.

Last edited by johnwoo; May 17th 2016 at 3:24 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.