Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Which State would you live, AK,WA,OR,CA,TX or NM?

Which State would you live, AK,WA,OR,CA,TX or NM?

Old May 9th 2016, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which State would you live, AK,WA,OR,CA,TX or NM?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
75 miles away.
The ocean is only 60 miles away from Portland. 15 minutes by plane.
Old May 9th 2016, 2:46 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not that you should listen to me when making a decision on where to live, but if I was choosing from that list it'd be California or New Mexico. I enjoyed myself immensely in California last year when we went. I have a bit of an obsession with the southwest as well, so New Mexico has always been of interest to me, as has Arizona.
Old May 9th 2016, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not that you should listen to me when making a decision on where to live, but if I was choosing from that list it'd be California or New Mexico. I enjoyed myself immensely in California last year when we went. I have a bit of an obsession with the southwest as well, so New Mexico has always been of interest to me, as has Arizona.
California seems appealing, but also expensive. I am also a bit concerned about the water situation in Cali.
Old May 9th 2016, 2:50 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
California seems appealing, but also expensive. I am also a bit concerned about the water situation in Cali.
Yeah, the cost is off-putting.

I think the water situation depends on where you are. In the central valley it is a major concern (especially since they Colorado River doesn't seem to be able to keep up with demand). Not sure if it's any easier at the coast.
Old May 9th 2016, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

I thought NM was nice when I drove through it. I recall the sky being massive when I came down from the CO Rockies. When I drove from NM into TX I just remember the smell of cowshit and chemicals.
Old May 9th 2016, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its mostly agriculture that is the issue and major single user of water.

The larger citys are doing decent job of finding alternative ways to obtain water and reuse water.

San Diego region for example has built a de sal plant, Orange County has toilet to tap, LA has programs to capture water as well vs letting it run off into the ocean.

No need to worry about literally running out at this time. And most people there use water wisely and why you see a lot of dead lawns.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/wat...expansion.html

I have more faith in California then I do of my own city in BC who doesnt even seem to know how many people our underground aqufier can support and summers its getting quite low these days.

But water is so mismanged here its not even funny.

Old May 9th 2016, 6:10 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

We've had more rain this year than we've had in the past three years. There aren't enough facilities to capture it though. There are long deep flood channels running down from the hills to the ocean so millions of gallons end up in Santa Monica Bay. When I had the roof of my home replaced last November the city placed a rider on the permit requiring me to install at least two rain barrels (min 50 gals each) to capture water from the gutters and down spouts. It's good idea but now I'm wondering with summer just around the corner and the hot weather on it's way if standing water will be a breeding ground for the Zika virus
Old May 9th 2016, 6:14 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dc koop
We've had more rain this year than we've had in the past three years. There aren't enough facilities to capture it though. There are long deep flood channels running down from the hills to the ocean so millions of gallons end up in Santa Monica Bay. When I had the roof of my home replaced last November the city placed a rider on the permit requiring me to install at least two rain barrels (min 50 gals each) to capture water from the gutters and down spouts. It's good idea but now I'm wondering with summer just around the corner and the hot weather on it's way if standing water will be a breeding ground for the Zika virus
I was curious about mosquito mitigation after reading this (also because I was thinking we should get a water butt to collect rainwater for garden watering and car washing). Wikipedia has the following:

Several options for dealing with the mosquito issue are: 1. Flushing ALL water once a week 2. Using a small amount of cooking oil to suffocate the larvae (the water is still ok for landscape use after this) 3. Adding the bacillus Bt to the water. This bacteria will not harm animals. 4. Adding mosquito eating fish

Another way to store rainwater without worry of contamination by mosquitos is to use underground storage tanks. Underground tanks keep the water too cool (@55 degrees F) for mosquito larvae and also are dark, preventing both mosquito, bacterial, and algae growth. A very good article by Richard Hill goes into depth about the benefits of underground rainwater storage.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

It can be illegal to capture rainwater in CA.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:40 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I was curious about mosquito mitigation after reading this (also because I was thinking we should get a water butt to collect rainwater for garden watering and car washing). Wikipedia has the following:
The cooking oil seems to be worth a try. Underground storage tanks wouldn't be an option in my case but all the new houses which are now being built do have tanks installed.

The last thing I need is the Vector Control District issuing me a citation for a mosquito infestation.

My wife loves potted plants so we have pots all over the place. Yesterday I removed all the dishes under the pots, another source of standing water
Old May 9th 2016, 6:47 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dc koop
The cooking oil seems to be worth a try. Underground storage tanks wouldn't be an option in my case but all the new houses which are now being built do have tanks installed.

The last thing I need is the Vector Control District issuing me a citation for a mosquito infestation.

My wife loves potted plants so we have pots all over the place. Yesterday I removed all the dishes under the pots, another source of standing water
Mosquitoes are nothing but a nuisance. If every single one of them died right now there would be no net negative effect to life on earth.

I didn't notice any yesterday when we were out in the yard though, so long may that last.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:20 am
Banned

I like the North-West a lot, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming because it's empty.

"Shucks Pilgrim ! Reckon a man can lose himself in a place like that"

Last edited by dc koop; May 9th 2016 at 12:55 pm.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:57 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

The ocean is only 60 miles away from Portland. 15 minutes by plane.
Portland to Seaside 79.2 miles, obviously less from Hillsboro.
Driving Distance from Portland, OR to Seaside, OR
Old May 10th 2016, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Portland to Seaside 79.2 miles, obviously less from Hillsboro.
Driving Distance from Portland, OR to Seaside, OR
66 miles from Hillsboro (42.3 nm KHIO to 3S7 https://skyvector.com/)

Last edited by mrken30; May 10th 2016 at 6:27 am.
Old May 10th 2016, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Different States for different folks.
I've lived in both Washington State and California, both vary on were you live within the State. I have lived in the Seattle area and San Francisco area, like them both, major negatives for me, Seattle too much rain, San Francisco too little. Traffic in both. I like it here but the Bay area is one of the most expensive in the country, and becoming increasingly over crowded. You really can't advise anyone, personal choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.