Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Standby flight - Do they still exist?

Standby flight - Do they still exist?

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice
Default Standby flight - Do they still exist?

Do these still exist post-9/11? How does it work nowadays if they do? Can I just turn up at the airport and hang around 'til something comes up? I haven't flown often but last time we flew Canada to UK the plane was 3/4 empty.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Standby flight - Do they still exist?

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Do these still exist post-9/11? How does it work nowadays if they do? Can I just turn up at the airport and hang around 'til something comes up? I haven't flown often but last time we flew Canada to UK the plane was 3/4 empty.
They have wait lists for sure. I think they are essentially the same thing. If seats are available, you get your ticket. I'd book online though to guarantee a price.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Lost_in_space is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm I wanted to reply to this sooner as I was sure that they did still exist, but when I looked them up even Wikipedia gave a list of what a standby flight is and it seems they were talking about them in the sense that a) you turn up early or late to a flight and therefore go on standby for the next available, or b) family and friends of crew can take any available seats if no member of the public is waiting for it.

Obviously just because Wikipedia doesn't mention it doesn't mean they don't exist (I sometimes forget that - oops)! Try calling one of the main airlines you'd be travelling with and they should be able to tell you yae or nae immediately.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lost_in_space
Hmm I wanted to reply to this sooner as I was sure that they did still exist, but when I looked them up even Wikipedia gave a list of what a standby flight is and it seems they were talking about them in the sense that a) you turn up early or late to a flight and therefore go on standby for the next available, or b) family and friends of crew can take any available seats if no member of the public is waiting for it.

Obviously just because Wikipedia doesn't mention it doesn't mean they don't exist (I sometimes forget that - oops)! Try calling one of the main airlines you'd be travelling with and they should be able to tell you yae or nae immediately.
I remember asking for one from Bangkok to London one year as I extended my original flight date. Now of course I had the return portion of my ticket.

I was wait listed for a number of flights on different days as the planes were full. They said that if I went to the airport and waited until they were about to close check in then I would likely get on a flight within a couple of days as some people always cancel or don't turn up. I didn't want to do that so I waited for a guaranteed slot.

I don't think they will sell you a ticket these days without a given departure date and time. Quite different from going back on the return half of your ticket. Then I guess you could be on standby.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice

Thanks guys!! - I just wondered if anyone had recently showed up at an airport ticketless and managed to get on a flight. Were looking to fly from Toronto to either Heathrow or Gatwick. Thanks once again!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Whilst most carriers do charge the earth for one way, some are better than others. Of course do the expedia / ebookers / your fasvourite web search but also have a look at http://www.ba.com http://www.thaiair.com and http://www.etihadairways.com as they all seem to offer better than historical o/w prices (from Asia admittedly) at the moment.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

tevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by times up
They have wait lists for sure. I think they are essentially the same thing. If seats are available, you get your ticket. I'd book online though to guarantee a price.
they are live and kicking.
my mother works in an air line company which gives me the benefit of flying stand by - on an empty seat basis...
if u bought a ticket and u would like to use before your offical flight, then u can step to the counter and ask to be a stand by, and u will have a priority on a person like me - who counts as an employee.
when i was in thailand ive seen a couple who bought a ticket and wanted to use it before their offical flight and they have been refused due to the lake of empty seats
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tevel3
they are live and kicking.
my mother works in an air line company which gives me the benefit of flying stand by - on an empty seat basis...
if u bought a ticket and u would like to use before your offical flight, then u can step to the counter and ask to be a stand by, and u will have a priority on a person like me - who counts as an employee.
when i was in thailand ive seen a couple who bought a ticket and wanted to use it before their offical flight and they have been refused due to the lake of empty seats
That depends on the type of ticket you've purchased. Unless you've purchased a full fare ticket there is normally a penalty to pay for changing the date.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is / was since 9/11 airlines reduced capacity and increased the overbooking. What used to be a 3/4 full flight to the UK is now often resulting in people being bumped. In addition, most airlines have added all sorts of rules and fees to change tickets, such that it can be a real pain to switch to a different day, even if you'll be in the 'standby' group.

You might check the flyer talk forums for your airline. You'll get some advice from the hard core flyers over there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles-points-1/
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:08 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I have asked for space on an earlier flight and not been charged a fee for it. I mean, I've arrived at the airport early and asked if there was space on an earlier flight and got it.

The big problem is checked luggage, as they won't let you fly on a different plane. But if you're traveling with only carry on, it can work.

But I don't think they have stand by like they used to. IIRC it was a set price, and about half a regular ticket, but you weren't guaranteed a seat, so you had to buy the ticket and then hang around until a seat was available.

Bev
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

flyglobespan has really good rates...they did go to stanstead but stopped since...darn

so did you sell your house? did i miss a post?

OUr house is on the market and have to viewings sunday...gulp!!!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

What about if you purchase a return ticket...from your destination country dont bother using the first flight and just use the return section on a set date. Just its cheaper for me to book flights in the UK than it is for me to fly one way from here!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
What about if you purchase a return ticket...from your destination country dont bother using the first flight and just use the return section on a set date. Just its cheaper for me to book flights in the UK than it is for me to fly one way from here!
I believe most, if not all, airlines cancel the return flight if the outgoing flight isn't used.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by louie
I believe most, if not all, airlines cancel the return flight if the outgoing flight isn't used.
Thanks!! Back to the drawing board!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Speargun
IATA ticketing rules do not allow for the self-purchase of return flights that do not originate from the country of purchase.