Stackry

Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:50 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stackry

Has anyone used Stackry or other such US forwarding services? They take parcels from Amazon US and other US stores then mail them onto the UK. They are based in NH, so no sales tax. Grateful to know if they are reliable etc

thank you
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2020, 11:13 pm
  #2  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,660
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
Has anyone used Stackry or other such US forwarding services? They take parcels from Amazon US and other US stores then mail them onto the UK. They are based in NH, so no sales tax. Grateful to know if they are reliable etc. ....
[1] I've never heard of Stackry, [2] I'm not sure why anyone resident in the US would need such a service, or even be aware of it. ..... You might do better asking in the "Moving back to the UK" forum.

That said, I suspect that much of the "forwarding" business is going to countries in Africa, Latin America, eastern Europe, and other such places, where there is a poor choice of consumer products. There have been such export businesses in Florida, shipping to the Caribbean, and California, shipping to Asia and Oceania, for decades.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2020 at 12:03 am.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2020, 11:32 pm
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
[1] I've never heard of Stackry, [2] I'm not sure why anyone resident in the US would need such a service, or even be aware of it. ..... You might do better asking in the "Moving back to the UK" forum.

That said, I I suspect that much of the "forwarding" business is going to countries in Africa, Latin America, eastern Europe, and other such places, where there is a poor choice of consumer products. There have been such export businesses in Florida, shipping to the Caribbean, and California, shipping to Asia and Oceania l, for decades.

These kinds of company do a lot of business to Canada as well, a lot of US retailers wont ship to Canada, and we lack the selection US has.

But anyhow they seem to have good reviews overall on Canadian forums. I never used a forwarding service myself as I had always lived within 20 minutes of the border so would ship to a package place along the border and go pick up myself, pre-COVID those places were printing money, now not so much.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 12:40 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
[1] I've never heard of Stackry, [2] I'm not sure why anyone resident in the US would need such a service, or even be aware of it. ..... You might do better asking in the "Moving back to the UK" forum.

That said, I suspect that much of the "forwarding" business is going to countries in Africa, Latin America, eastern Europe, and other such places, where there is a poor choice of consumer products. There have been such export businesses in Florida, shipping to the Caribbean, and California, shipping to Asia and Oceania, for decades.
You would be surprised there are a bunch of these companies like shop2ship myUS Usgobuy etc etc forwarding to the UK stuff from US retailers that wont ship directly and Americans use them to as they ship to the sales tax free place initially and then these guys mail them onto you wherever you are in the US so could be worth it for large value items like phones, laptops etc
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 12:41 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
These kinds of company do a lot of business to Canada as well, a lot of US retailers wont ship to Canada, and we lack the selection US has.

But anyhow they seem to have good reviews overall on Canadian forums. I never used a forwarding service myself as I had always lived within 20 minutes of the border so would ship to a package place along the border and go pick up myself, pre-COVID those places were printing money, now not so much.
Am curious what were these places along the border? Were they mailboxes or physical houses?
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:01 am
  #6  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,660
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
Am curious what were these places along the border? Were they mailboxes or physical houses?
Because Canadians drive over the border to collect things that they cannot have mailed to their home address in Canada and/or to avoid import duty and/or excessive shipping costs ; or at least they did prior to March 2020.

Approximately 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border, so collecting their stuff is not more than a half day trip.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2020 at 1:07 am.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:04 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 29
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Because Canadians drive over the border to collect things that they cannot have mailed to their home address in Canada and/or to avoid import duty and/or excessive shipping costs. Approximately 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border, so collecting their stuff is only a half day trip.
Are they mailboxes or official businesses that operate as pick up points as a side hustle? Just curious I never heard such a thing
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:24 am
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
Are they mailboxes or official businesses that operate as pick up points as a side hustle? Just curious I never heard such a thing
Most are dedicated business doing nothing but specializing in accepting parcels for Canadian's and other shipping needs some are located within a business like a gas station as a side hustle.

They charge a per package fee, usually $2-$4 so it's pay as you go, some people do rent official USPS post office boxes.



Some are automated where you punch in a code they email you, and the locker opens like this




Some are more old school like this, where a human goes and retrieves you parcel for you.


scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:32 am
  #9  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,660
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stackry

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
Are they mailboxes or official businesses that operate as pick up points as a side hustle? Just curious I never heard such a thing
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Most are dedicated business doing nothing but specializing in accepting parcels for Canadian's and other shipping needs some are located within a business like a gas station as a side hustle.

They charge a per package fee, usually $2-$4 so it's pay as you go, some people do rent official USPS post office boxes. ....
Wot 'e said! ^

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2020 at 1:55 am.
Pulaski is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.