Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Squirrel numbers down in rural Virginia

Squirrel numbers down in rural Virginia

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Squirrel numbers down in rural Virginia

Originally Posted by N1cky
I didn't know there used to be a walnut farm, is that what the patch of land next to WS on Ferguson was?
No – the one I was thinking of was on the other side. As you turn off Central onto Whisman take an immediate left. There is an apartment complex, then after that used to be a small farm – it’s a building site now. I don't know if they ever managed to harvest any Walnuts as you could barely move down there for squirrels running all over the place. Used to go down there when my son was about 3, he loved watching the baby ones running about like mad chasing each other.

I tried streetview's historic views settings - looks like they started clearing the trees not long after we left (see pics)

Hope you're having fun in MV
I am – it’s not fair.

Before coming on this trip I had just about convinced myself that moving to the US was a daft idea and that staying put was better.

Saturday I called up an older couple we knew out here, they have since retired to Santa Cruz. So had a drive down Highway 17, a barbecue in their back yard and watched the sunset over the pacific.

Then on Sunday I went to visit another family, their son and my son were best friends back when they were both 4. Had a great time playing catch at the park yesterday afternoon and dinner with them.

I just know that when I go back to the UK it’s going to be grey and rainy and I'm going to be left wishing I could just pack up everything and move back right away.
Attached Thumbnails Squirrel numbers down in rural Virginia-pic5.png  
Old Nov 4th 2014, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
How does one count squirrel numbers? It must be an inexact science at best... akin to herding cats.

If our local squirrel numbers have declined, I know the exact cause. We have a fox (at least one) on the next parcel of land to ours, which has no house on it and is all forest. His den must be very near us, as I often see him (or maybe his mate, never the two together though) on our property or the property of our neighbor across the street.

Last winter and early spring, a fox would haunt our bird feeders, watching from a little ridge nearby, and whipping down the hill to the bird feeders to try to nab the squirrels and doves that scout for dropped seeds underneath the feeders. I expect to see him/her again once I start to fill the bird feeders again....

As for acorns, we had none last autumn, and very few this year either--very puzzling! But we do have squirrels, in spite of that and in spite of the fox....
Our house is surrounded by oak trees and usually we can look out of the window and see a squirrel.
While hunting in the woods they are easy to spot and hear. They are very noisy a squirrel will make as much or more noise than a 200lb buck.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Our house is surrounded by oak trees and usually we can look out of the window and see a squirrel.
While hunting in the woods they are easy to spot and hear. They are very noisy a squirrel will make as much or more noise than a 200lb buck.
Ours make a loud chattering noise, and sometimes almost a growl. Thirty feet up a tree they are safe from all but hawks and guns, so you think they'd shut up and not draw attention to themselves, because while I can tell they are agitated, they certainly aren't scaring me! Is there a Darwin Award for squirrels?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:17 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
No – the one I was thinking of was on the other side. As you turn off Central onto Whisman take an immediate left. There is an apartment complex, then after that used to be a small farm – it’s a building site now. I don't know if they ever managed to harvest any Walnuts as you could barely move down there for squirrels running all over the place. Used to go down there when my son was about 3, he loved watching the baby ones running about like mad chasing each other.

I tried streetview's historic views settings - looks like they started clearing the trees not long after we left (see pics)

I am – it’s not fair.

Before coming on this trip I had just about convinced myself that moving to the US was a daft idea and that staying put was better.

Saturday I called up an older couple we knew out here, they have since retired to Santa Cruz. So had a drive down Highway 17, a barbecue in their back yard and watched the sunset over the pacific.

Then on Sunday I went to visit another family, their son and my son were best friends back when they were both 4. Had a great time playing catch at the park yesterday afternoon and dinner with them.

I just know that when I go back to the UK it’s going to be grey and rainy and I'm going to be left wishing I could just pack up everything and move back right away.
I know where you mean now.

It's grey and rainy here today, I can send you a photo if it helps Let me know quick though, I can see the blue sky starting to poke through already.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
It's grey and rainy here today, I can send you a photo if it helps.
Thanks for the offer , but I already have the backdrop on my iphone set to a view of Togo's parking lot in the rain - don't know if you can do more depressing than that?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Now the oak leaves are falling everywhere like rain here, but STILL no acorns to be seen. I asked a local pundit about this, and he said the oak trees in our part of New England are "different"--they only produce acorns when the winter that follows will be especially severe.... Thus we may get a good acorn crop every 3 to 5 years, but rarely more often.

Apparently the last bumper crop of acorns fell in the autumn of 2012, the year before we moved here. So perhaps no acorns for a few more years. Very strange!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With that much fruit in them they'll probably taste pretty good! (I never thought I'd say that about squirrel. ) ..... I hear mid-western venison is best because the deer eat mostly corn.
Meet the squirrel cooker.

Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Thanks for the offer , but I already have the backdrop on my iphone set to a view of Togo's parking lot in the rain - don't know if you can do more depressing than that?
The only more depressing sight in MV is my rental statement
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Now the oak leaves are falling everywhere like rain here, but STILL no acorns to be seen. I asked a local pundit about this, and he said the oak trees in our part of New England are "different"--they only produce acorns when the winter that follows will be especially severe.... Thus we may get a good acorn crop every 3 to 5 years, but rarely more often.

Apparently the last bumper crop of acorns fell in the autumn of 2012, the year before we moved here. So perhaps no acorns for a few more years. Very strange!
We get bumper years, and not so big years for acorns. I used to think it was roughly every other year, but we've had two consecutive bumper crops of acorns. Certainly some years we get very few though.