Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spoons in the garbage disposal

Spoons in the garbage disposal

Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spoons in the garbage disposal

Originally Posted by MsElui
im a bit the same. Ive been here 5 or 6 months and the only thing i put down it so far is the sloppy bits of cereal the kids leave in the morning. dont want to tip it in the bin so i swish it in the noisy thing. Dont really know what else im sposed to do with it though so i leave well alone for fear of busting it!
On a serious note, other than appendages, things to NOT put in the thing are really fibrous stuff such as artichoke leaves, tons of potato skins, etc.

Otherwise, we used to grind up most leftover food (scrapings from plates, meat bits, veggies, etc.), carrot peelings, bread, general trash food.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

If you put something soft like apple or pear peelings in it, throw in a few ice cubes, it gives it something to grab on to. Ice cubes are also good for the blades, they sharpen them.

If it gets stopped up with something soft, like peelings, put the plug in the other side of the sink, and use a plunger on the the disposal side. It will usually sort the stoppage out.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:51 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
On a serious note, other than appendages, things to NOT put in the thing are really fibrous stuff such as artichoke leaves, tons of potato skins, etc.

Otherwise, we used to grind up most leftover food (scrapings from plates, meat bits, veggies, etc.), carrot peelings, bread, general trash food.
I actually put everything in except the tough chicken muscle and any kind of bones. The other stuff gets chopped up nicely under running water. I've had no problems with 'tatoe skins doing a disposal in. I have seen my father put bones down there when he wasn't supposed to.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
im a bit the same. Ive been here 5 or 6 months and the only thing i put down it so far is the sloppy bits of cereal the kids leave in the morning. dont want to tip it in the bin so i swish it in the noisy thing. Dont really know what else im sposed to do with it though so i leave well alone for fear of busting it!
They're pretty tough to break. It'll handle a lot more than cereal, believe me. Mrs Bill used to dump pistachio shells in the thing... makes a hellacious racket. Just avoid bones or extremely tough, fibrous stuff like kale stems. Ours struggles a bit with large chunks of lime rind as well, so we put those in the regular trash. But most wet kitchen waste is no trouble at all.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:39 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

are you supposed to run the water when you use it?? I really have no idea what to do with it!!!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:43 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
are you supposed to run the water when you use it?? I really have no idea what to do with it!!!
Always run water with it. It helps get the chunks down. Always make sure you don't have any sponges, silverware, or towels in the vicinity of the opening. Do use a big spoon to assist items in going down the sink. Run the water for a bit after until you hear the disposal running without effort. It should sound like it's spinning freely.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Yes, run cold water. It's really not a complicated device. Powerful motor attached to a plate with hammers on. Debris is pulverized into a thin mash that is washed down the drain. Water helps keep everything moving, cold water prevents the motor from overheating and tripping the thermal protection breaker.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Oh, from personal experience, add corn husks to the no-go list for the garbinator (you DO have these in the UK).

But I don't use mine much anymore, except to chop up a lemon in it so it smells nice.
I had a break in the sewer line once that was caused by rats. Yes, rats chewing through the concrete pipe. Ack! The repair guy, and the City guy said that food run down the disposal made great rat munchings and would attract them.
So now I compost everything that I can and bin the rest. (did I just say BIN?!)

Hey, who was it here who said about putting lemon Koolaid powder in the dishwasher to freshen it up?
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh, from personal experience, add corn husks to the no-go list for the garbinator (you DO have these in the UK).

But I don't use mine much anymore, except to chop up a lemon in it so it smells nice.
I had a break in the sewer line once that was caused by rats. Yes, rats chewing through the concrete pipe. Ack! The repair guy, and the City guy said that food run down the disposal made great rat munchings and would attract them.
So now I compost everything that I can and *** the rest. (did I just say ***?!)

Hey, who was it here who said about putting lemon Koolaid powder in the dishwasher to freshen it up?

There's still time to edit, maybe none of them saw it...
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There's still time to edit, maybe none of them saw it...
I guess I shouldn't even go into the whole 'he rubbed off on me' explanation?