Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spaceships and astronomy

Spaceships and astronomy

Old Dec 21st 2020, 6:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spaceships and astronomy

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's the only place the kids have for toboggans, etc. I used to take my son there.

As the name implies, it's landfill that was turfed over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba92fKNL6gY
Yeah I looked it up, it was the whole ex landfill thing that made me think of the Simpsons.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 6:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Nice little video. Short. And the guy got some excellent views of Saturn from his home telescope.

Old Jul 20th 2021, 1:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

There is a launch tomorrow. I thought of a sound track in the ironic genre,

Old Jul 20th 2021, 3:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care about Millionaires in Space, but I'm glad Wally Funk got to go, finally.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57849364

I hope as a species are we are nicer to other planets than we have been to our own.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:17 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't really care about Millionaires in Space, but I'm glad Wally Funk got to go, finally.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57849364

I hope as a species are we are nicer to other planets than we have been to our own.
Personally I don't understand how everyone is worried about the environment yet people seem fine with these rich pricks blasting rockets into space all the time for no real purpose other than to say they've been to space.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Bezos is a very annoying guy, but glad they had a successful launch and looking forward to the time when I can book a seat ! I'm wondering if the (brief) weightlessness is from being in weak gravity or more to do with the physics of rising and falling (as in an elevator)? Where be the science experts that used to frequent this threat?
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Personally I don't understand how everyone is worried about the environment yet people seem fine with these rich pricks blasting rockets into space all the time for no real purpose other than to say they've been to space.

We are supposed to worship our millionaires.

Maybe Amazon workers will be allowed a bathroom break now.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Bezos is a very annoying guy, but glad they had a successful launch and looking forward to the time when I can book a seat ! I'm wondering if the (brief) weightlessness is from being in weak gravity or more to do with the physics of rising and falling (as in an elevator)? Where be the science experts that used to frequent this threat?
The weightlessness is due to them being in free-fall. Even though they are going up before coming down. They are under the same forces inside the capsule as the capsule is.

Strictly speaking any object in orbit is also in free-fall. They are just moving fast enough, horizontally, that they 'miss' the earth... Continually...
Old Jul 20th 2021, 5:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by chawkins99
The weightlessness is due to them being in free-fall. Even though they are going up before coming down. They are under the same forces inside the capsule as the capsule is.

Strictly speaking any object in orbit is also in free-fall. They are just moving fast enough, horizontally, that they 'miss' the earth... Continually...
Thanks Captain Chawkins. So is it essential like the simulated weightless they do on the military jets when they are training astronauts for space? How many km out to get true zero gravity?
Old Jul 20th 2021, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Thanks Captain Chawkins. So is it essential like the simulated weightless they do on the military jets when they are training astronauts for space? How many km out to get true zero gravity?
Yes. The jets fly an arc that simulates the effect.
There is no such thing as truly zero gravity. Gravity reduces exponentially the further out you get but never becomes zero. Even Pluto is under the gravitational influence of the sun.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 10:12 pm
Yo

There is no such thing as truly zero gravity. Gravity reduces exponentially the further out you get but never becomes zero. Even Pluto is under the gravitational influence of the sun.
I just wonder if they couldn't have gone a bit higher, say 150 or 200 km, it would be more fuel but more viewing time. 4 minutes seems incredibly short.

Old Jul 20th 2021, 11:31 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair Bezos did donate $100million to a worthy cause today. I think some billionaires realize they can /must do some good for the world. After all you can have too much money.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 2:49 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
After all you can have too much money.
Yes. Everything in moderation, I always say.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as truly zero gravity.
The Lagrange points.

Your move.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 9:33 am
Yo

Originally Posted by steveq
The Lagrange points.

Your move.
Rumours spreadin' around / In that Texas town / About that shack outside La Grange

(haw haw haw ZZ Top)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.