Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The South in the deep freeze

The South in the deep freeze

Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The South in the deep freeze

Originally Posted by civilservant
6 inches here in Jackson County, GA.

It's melting already today, here come the floods...
Yeah, within an hour of the snow stopping, the temperature had already reached 35°F and a major thaw had set in. The temperature is still rising, and there be no evidence of snow by Saturday at this rate, despite about a foot of snow falling.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

We got the ice down here. Lots of branches and trees down yesterday. One of our bridges was still closed today, but it will be 60F tomorrow.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Wherever you go, its always the soft Southern shandy-drinkers that are wooses.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The view from here a few minutes ago. . In eleven years this is by far the most snow we have seen here, about 5" yesterday, then freezing rain overnight, which melted a couple of inches, and left the snow with a hard crust of ice. Now it is snowing again, with another 2"-4" predicted this morning. But NO sign of any ice build-up on the trees!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...-53-47_410.jpg
NEWSFLASH!

The South is in a "Slight Chill" compared to what most of us have experienced this Winter.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
NEWSFLASH!

The South is in a "Slight Chill" compared to what most of us have experienced this Winter.
You are absolutely correct, however down here there have been winters when we see NO snow, and most winters we get no more than a couple of snow showers, which melt away within a few hours when the sun comes out.

The 10"-12" I estimate that fell here over the past 36 hours is about as much snow as we have received over the previous 12 years combined! I would compare what we experienced to cities further north that get snow, but not lake-effect snow, getting 3-4ft of snow over 36hrs, or to the 7ft that Buffalo received in 3-4 days just after Christmas 2001.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Had about 5 inches of wet slushy snow here and about an eighth of an inch of ice on the trees. Made an eerie sound swaying in the breeze while I was digging out the car from the snow plow only for the plow to come back and cover the drive in huge chunks of snow and ice again a couple of hours later.

I suppose I should just be thankful I live on a road that the county plows as it's a school bus route. Not that the schools were open today....,
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And meanwhile we have a serious drought...
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

The 10"-12" I estimate that fell here over the past 36 hours is about as much snow as we have received over the previous 12 years combined! I would compare what we experienced to cities further north that get snow, but not lake-effect snow, getting 3-4ft of snow over 36hrs, or to the 7ft that Buffalo received in 3-4 days just after Christmas 2001.
Blimey, that's a lot of snow you got. Portland ME (as usual) got quite hysterical about the 6-8in of snow we received last night, and my office has a delayed opening this morning while they clear up. Bear in mind my office has more than a dozen snow ploughs...
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:38 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You are absolutely correct, however down here there have been winters when we see NO snow, and most winters we get no more than a couple of snow showers, which melt away within a few hours when the sun comes out.

The 10"-12" I estimate that fell here over the past 36 hours is about as much snow as we have received over the previous 12 years combined! .
I know ... I can't believe it waited until we moved to do that!!!