Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sorry, need to moan!

Wikiposts

Sorry, need to moan!

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, need to moan!

We had a similar problem and with 4 teens the blockages were betting worse. We remodeled and fitted the Kohler high power toilets and the problem was solved.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:09 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
you on a septic system or city mains?
Mains. We rent so if it gets really bad (I.e. the OH doesn't mend it within 30 seconds) we could call on the warranty folk. I am going to invest in a bigger, more manly plunger though.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:39 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Considering your diet, I'd be more worried about lethal gas buildup.

Arent US bog pipes 3" compared to 4" in the UK?
Not sure, but I'll measure one of Mrs tonrob's turds next time it happens. If I find the circumference we can get the diameter from that, right?
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Considering your diet, I'd be more worried about lethal gas buildup.

Arent US bog pipes 3" compared to 4" in the UK?
US drain pipes can be either 3" or 4" but 4" are the most common since 3" drain pipes requires adapters when connecting to the mains which generally increases the cost. Whether it is 3" or 4" isn't normally the problem but instead the size of the trapway within the toilet can be a problem.

Since US toilets are suction types, the trapways need to be small enough to create suction with the maximum water supply imposed in the 1980's by most states (1.6 gallons maximum) and the size of the base that would be required if they were larger so many were less than 2" in diameter. American Standard seems to be doing the best for low priced toilets with the Cadet series with 2 1/8" trapways and their moderately price Champion series with 2 3/8" trapways with excellent flushing which is the largest trapway you can get for standard suction type toilets. Besides the size of the trapway, glazing and design are also very important for proper flushing.

There are a couple of toilets available with 4" trapways but are designed with a very low trapway so water levels are very low requiring cleaning after each use. Flushing is supposed to be very good with those toilets if you don't mind the constant cleaning.

The worst flushers are usually the low profile single unit toilets. Because of their small size, generally trapways are small in diameter and are not high enough to create a lot of suction.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:18 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice that we all have the same problems. I don't think I had ever had to unblock a loo before we moved here. The apartment was the worst but we have had our fair share of blockages in the house too. It has improved since we cured the dude of his 4 wet wipes a poop habit and explained the art of folding and using both sides of the paper.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:28 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad it's not just our house Chocolatebabz!
My other issue is that once a month, one of them continually fills and I have to (prepare yourselves to be astounded by my immense technical knowledge) take the top off the cistern and stop the chainy bit getting stuck on the pluggy bit. Particularly annoying at 3am.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:59 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

The trick with unplugging toilets is to make sure there is enough water in the bowel
Wow! I'm trying to imagine how that works!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:54 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I'm glad it's not just our house Chocolatebabz!
My other issue is that once a month, one of them continually fills and I have to (prepare yourselves to be astounded by my immense technical knowledge) take the top off the cistern and stop the chainy bit getting stuck on the pluggy bit. Particularly annoying at 3am.
OMG yes we get that too - have also replaced the whole arm bit on 2 different loos and the round rubber bit at the bottom which 'blisters'. If we are in this house long enough to have to re-do bathrooms I will be buying top of the line loos!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
OMG yes we get that too - have also replaced the whole arm bit on 2 different loos and the round rubber bit at the bottom which 'blisters'. If we are in this house long enough to have to re-do bathrooms I will be buying top of the line loos!
Don't necessarily get top of the line since some of those have more problems that the cheap ones and replacing their proprietary parts can cost as much as a whole toilet. Instead get good quality toilets that use standard parts.

Currently I have two low profile Kohler's and they are the worst toilets I have ever owned. I'm constantly replacing the flapper ($35 each), replaced the push lever twice ($75 each), and replaced the fill valve twice ($90 each) on the toilet that I used during the last 4 years. I've only replaced the flapper on the guest toilet but that is only used about twice a year. Besides that, they plug up about every other day.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 4th 2012 at 2:34 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here from a 1950s bungalow in Fareham...

Never had a problem... Even in the house before that, Grade 2 listed built in 1834.

Lived in 3 different places in AZ in last 15 months. Every single 1 has blocked up... Roughly once every 3 weeks.

Doing what Michael suggests works all the time - takes about 10 secs or so.

Doesn't always require a turd to block it... But that does help!!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
We moved here from a 1950s bungalow in Fareham...

Never had a problem... Even in the house before that, Grade 2 listed built in 1834.

Lived in 3 different places in AZ in last 15 months. Every single 1 has blocked up... Roughly once every 3 weeks.

Doing what Michael suggests works all the time - takes about 10 secs or so.

Doesn't always require a turd to block it... But that does help!!
Which design is used for UK loos? Most American toilets use the first design in the picture. The first design is a syphon type with a smaller diameter trapway and the second design has a large trapway and just pushes it down but also has a lower water level in the bowl.

Also, are UK toilets limited to 1.6 gallons per flush? If not and the syphon design is used, the trapway can then be larger similar to pre 1970-1980 US toilets which usually had less problems.
Attached Thumbnails Sorry, need to moan!-caroma_trapway1.jpg  

Last edited by Michael; Feb 4th 2012 at 7:00 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Which design is used for UK loos? Most American toilets use the first design in the picture. The first design is a syphon type with a smaller diameter trapway and the second design has a large trapway and just pushes it down but also has a lower water level in the bowl.

Also, are UK toilets limited to 1.6 gallons per flush? If not and the syphon design is used, the trapway can then be larger similar to pre 1970-1980 US toilets which usually had less problems.
I nominate Michael as our resident expert on toilets...

I should add that turd characteristics in US and Uk appear the same. Water levels in our bowls here in US are higher.

Michael - are you factoring in the fact that US gallons are smaller than UK ones?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I nominate Michael as our resident expert on toilets...

I should add that turd characteristics in US and Uk appear the same. Water levels in our bowls here in US are higher.

Michael - are you factoring in the fact that US gallons are smaller than UK ones?
Then that explains why UK toilets generally don't clog unless the waste is very large. In a UK toilet, all that is needed is enough water to push the waste over the elbow of a large trapway and then it drops straight down.

A standard US toilet requires a high water level, a long trapway to the elbow and then curves on the way down after the elbow to slow the water flow which all allows the syphoning effect to be maintained. If the water flow is interrupted, the syphoning effect is lost. If the waste is larger than the diameter of the trapway, all the siphoning effect on the world isn't going to pull it through the trapway.

6.1 liters is the federal mandate per flush for toilets in the US since the 1990's (much earlier for many western states) but standard tanks are generally about twice that size and the tank can normally be emptied with one flush just by holding down the lever. However that usually doesn't help since the trapways are designed with smaller diameters to be used with a 6.1 liter flush and holding down the lever may overflow the toilet if it clogs with a 12 liter flush.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 5th 2012 at 4:38 am.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Then that explains why UK toilets generally don't clog unless the waste is very large. In a UK toilet, all that is needed is enough water to push the waste over the elbow of a large trapway and then it drops straight down.

A standard US toilet requires a high water level, a long trapway to the elbow and then curves on the way down after the elbow to slow the water flow which all allows the syphoning effect to be maintained. If the water flow is interrupted, the syphoning effect is lost. If the waste is larger than the diameter of the trapway, all the siphoning effect on the world isn't going to pull it through the trapway.

6.1 liters is the federal mandate per flush for toilets in the US since the 1990's (much earlier for many western states) but standard tanks are generally about twice that size and the tank can normally be emptied with one flush just by holding down the lever. However that usually doesn't help since the trapways are designed with smaller diameters to be used with a 6.1 liter flush and holding down the lever may overflow the toilet if it clogs with a 12 liter flush.
Blimey - very technical - who knew!!!! Just go and flush!!! There is more pressure here tho in the loo's i notice....my toilet in London was rubbish - no suction (is that a technical toilet term???) The high water level tho makes me feel ill!!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Blimey - very technical - who knew!!!! Just go and flush!!! There is more pressure here tho in the loo's i notice....my toilet in London was rubbish - no suction (is that a technical toilet term???) The high water level tho makes me feel ill!!!!!
London toilets don't use suction or syphoning. They just push it down with a fast enough water flow. In your case, either the water flow was possibly too slow or to little or the trapway was not very large.

I think Americans prefer the high water level to help keep the toilet clean unless you are one of those that craps all over the sides of the bowl.

Also you can tell if a toilet is a syphon type since they make a loud noise when the syphon breaks at the end of the flush.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 5th 2012 at 9:33 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.