Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

So what has changed since you moved here over the years?

So what has changed since you moved here over the years?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default So what has changed since you moved here over the years?

Moved over in '04 permanently, since then...

Bush is out of office

Cost of tolls getting to/from Maine to Mass have gone up from $5 one way to around $12

The T was about $1 and now it's $2.30 save 30c with a Charlie card

Petrol was a stupidly expensive $1.30 or so...now it's $3

Eggs were about a $1 a dozen, now it's more than double

Milk was about 60c a small tub now it's about $1.70

Getting the car inspected was $8 and it's now $35 though it's only gone up $4 in Maine

Couldn't even get DSL at the in-laws back then...they can now and internet has gotten faster, just not much better

Had a kid, she just turned 2 last week

A couple of friends have gotten married, one divorced

Cost of a computer game was a bit pricey at $25 and now getting silly at $60

Beer in the US has gotten pretty good with the micro brews, it ain't all just rubbish Bud like it used to be

Winters have gotten pretty warm over the years, nothing as bad as the first one when the Penobscot bay froze over

Bunch of car companies have changed owners and gone bust, surprised more haven't though tbh

People actual cycle around now, still have to be brave, but it just didn't happen a while ago

I've put on and lost a stone in weight

Given golf a go...I'm right shit and open to the mocking with friends on that one and something I never thought I'd try, certainly in England

One thing that hasn't changed, I'm still a grumpy sod
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:43 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what has changed since you moved here over the years?

well since autumn 2007:

we had another kid - and shes 15 months.

im still not working - which was not what i expected having always had a job of some kind

we own a truck - something we laughed a lot about others doing when we arrived.

ditto lawn tractor

ditto snow blower
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We have been in and out of the US since (my) first home here in (I think) 1997.

Two boys, youngest 17, oldest 22 and in the USN

Lots of animals, mainly cats and dogs...don't have any from original trip still with us

Made lots of American friends, still in touch with a lot.

Had 3 surgeries (lost over 100lbs, gained back about 15)

Hubby retired from AD after 23 yrs with AF.

Thought we would retire in IL, but moving again

Hubby has a truck, I never wanted one, but it was a gift from his Dad, now I love it!

Lots of increases in price, but pay has increased too.

Bought 3 homes, sold 2.....moved about 12 times

Made friends with next door neighbor, loved her to bits, now can't wait to see the back of her!

Seen and done lots of things I never would have if I had never come here.

Life has gotten easier each time we have come back to the US, thank goodness hubby has always had a secure career.

Hubby has lost his (biological) Mom, two Grandpa's one Grandma and one Gt. Grandma.

Lots of other changes, I think as you get older you just want things to settle down and don't enjoy the changes (or accept them as easily) as much as when you are younger
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

A hellava lot. I now have three children one who will graduate Uni next month. So everything you said plus a ton more.
Mostly I have noticed my money doesn't go as far anymore.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I first moved to Ohio in 1992, petrol was 57c a gallon!

Been back and forth a couple of times since then.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:37 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I swore that I would never touch the crap they call Bacon......

Now I can't get enough of it :P
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

What a great question..... lets see I arrived here in 83.

Cigs were less than a dollar

Reagan was in office

Gas was about 79 cents

You didn't have to show car insurance ( in CA )

You could ride without a helmet ( CA )

Pot was illegal ( CA )

No commercial computers or cellphones. ( course that applies to everywhere )

I was thinner

The Aids scare, you needed a doctors note to go on a date.

I t would be interesting to reverse the question, i.e. What has changed in the UK since you left.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Made friends with next door neighbor, loved her to bits, now can't wait to see the back of her!
Oh yes you'll be glad to be moving!

We are relative newcomers, came in 2005.

A welcome change of President.

Children have grown from sweet little kids to sullen teenagers.

Still unsettled as to where we are going to be in the next few years.

But touch wood things are going well
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I swore that I would never touch the crap they call Bacon......

Now I can't get enough of it :P
No such thing as crap bacon....just bacon and better bacon
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Cigs were less than a dollar
They were $3 a pack when I arrived, around $8.50 these days...not bad rate of inflation

Oh, the bike helmet, that hasn't changed in Maine, can still ride without one, you do have to wear one on a pedal bike though, till your 18
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the bike helmet, that hasn't changed in Maine, can still ride without one, you do have to wear one on a pedal bike though, till your 18
Well there's logic
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Live free or die! Oh hang on, wrong state...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Our daughter! she has turned into an American DIVA!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:52 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

My hair has got greyer
My waist has grown wider
Been through 3 progressively larger homes and 4 progressively nicer cars
One son and one dog have joined the family
Two guinea pigs, two hamsters, two hermit crabs, two ducks and two fish have come and gone.
Had two weddings and two funerals in the family.
Earn 2.5 times what I did when I first got here
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin
My hair has got greyer
My waist has grown wider
Been through 3 progressively larger homes and 4 progressively nicer cars
One son and one dog have joined the family
Two guinea pigs, two hamsters, two hermit crabs, two ducks and two fish have come and gone.
Had two weddings and two funerals in the family.
Earn 2.5 times what I did when I first got here
At least 15 or 20 tropical fish have passed on. Four cats have completely disappeared (Great Horned Owl? Fisher? Coyote? Life was good for them while it lasted.)

Our cars have got smaller and smaller - we now own a Toyota Yaris and a Toyota Echo. I don't fancy driving a SmartCar on I-87 over the Green Mountains, so I'm guessing we won't be downsizing from here..

When I first came to the US, cigarettes cost 30c the pack. And there was no speed limit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.