Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

The slut list - seems a little overblown really. I can imagine that having your name on the list is a little more degrading than having a whistle blown at you, being knocked into a locker or having a post-in note stuck on you. Such physical contact seems quite tame. Then again, name on the list...sticks and stones and all that, nothing worth getting upset about.

Shit was much worse in the comprehensive I went to. You did get your head flushed down the toilet and while embarassing it wasn't something youd really be concerned about five minutes later.

There was one day each year where amongst the boys, those leaving school would beat the boys in the year below up - there were fights all over the school that day. I went through it and spent the day in fear. No, I didn't play a role in passing it on a year later because I thought it was a bit silly but I can't really say any harm was done and if anything it made me think about strategies to avoid having a terrible day.

These things will happen and there's something to be said for having to go through it and learning to deal with fears. I'm not saying bullying is healthy, but everything I've said above and the slut list (from what I can see) isn't really that. Hazing isn't necessarily bullying.

The slut list has given me an idea of something to try out at work though. I'll let you know if I get fired.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:39 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I battered seven shades of shit out of someone trying that stunt on me as a kid, worked a treat, but then I guess he didn't expect to be sandbanged by a rucksack weighing a ton in books, nor picking teeth out of the urinal afterwards

But then back in the day you wouldn't get sued/arrested for standing up for yourself either....or paying someone else to stand up for you
Exactly. There wasn't much in the way of bullying at any of my schools either. Occasionally a new kid would try it on, but a quick trip to hospital is remarkably educational.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - having seen that someone had written "Amy flucked John" on the bathroom wall really damaged my *nine-year-old* psyche. This crap starts young and it is very hurtful. Guys cannot imagine the shit girls do to each other. Give me a school full of guys any day over girls - and no, not for the dating opportunities.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:30 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

When I was at Uni in England, of course, we had Fresher's Week in our first year. All the 2nd and 3rd years used to come back for it though.

It wasn't until my second year that I found out why. 2nd and 3rd year students called it "F**k a Fresher" week.

I shall say no more

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My husband's school in Gateshead had a chaming old custom called 'Foggy's Friday' where the 1st years or foggies received the same treatment.

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Sep 24th 2009 at 4:31 am. Reason: trying to get around the ****
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Sorry - having seen that someone had written "Amy flucked John" on the bathroom wall really damaged my *nine-year-old* psyche. This crap starts young and it is very hurtful. Guys cannot imagine the shit girls do to each other. Give me a school full of guys any day over girls - and no, not for the dating opportunities.

I agree, girls can be real bitches! I had a horrible time in school, hated every minute of it. I went to all girls secondary schools.

So glad I don't have girls, I'm not sure I would be able to keep my hands to myself if they were put through the crap I was in school
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Originally Posted by Englishtart
I agree, girls can be real bitches! I had a horrible time in school, hated every minute of it. I went to all girls secondary schools.

So glad I don't have girls, I'm not sure I would be able to keep my hands to myself if they were put through the crap I was in school
Bullying among adolescent boys is also extremely common and just as damaging.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

It wasn't until my second year that I found out why. 2nd and 3rd year students called it "F**k a Fresher" week.
At my uni, they'd gate crash Royal Holloway and see who could nail gun a corridor...scarily it only took till the middle of the first semester before anyone over there twigged
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Bullying among adolescent boys is also extremely common and just as damaging.
Yeah, that's true, my oldest went through a taste of it in middle school. I do think though that 'most' boys cope with it easier than girls do. I don't think it is acceptable though, no matter who it is.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:49 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yeah, that's true, my oldest went through a taste of it in middle school. I do think though that 'most' boys cope with it easier than girls do. I don't think it is acceptable though, no matter who it is.
In my very limited experience, boys are more physical while girls are mental/emotional in th emethods of hazing/bullying.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
In my very limited experience, boys are more physical while girls are mental/emotional in th emethods of hazing/bullying.
I think you are right, or at least that is how it used to be, these days the girls are getting physical too, the emotional bullying is hard on girls.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's true in a very general sense. It is also rare that there is "crossover bullying" where a boy bullies a girl or vice versa. Not unheard of but certainly less common.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
When I was at Uni in England, of course, we had Fresher's Week in our first year. All the 2nd and 3rd years used to come back for it though.

I shall say no more
When we were 2nd years, one of our group started going out with a first year, so everyone kept singing "Under Fresher" to her (to the tune of "Under Pressure" - still think of her when I hear the song )
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I battered seven shades of shit out of someone trying that stunt on me as a kid, worked a treat, but then I guess he didn't expect to be sandbanged by a rucksack weighing a ton in books, nor picking teeth out of the urinal afterwards

But then back in the day you wouldn't get sued/arrested for standing up for yourself either....or paying someone else to stand up for you
I have to agree with you on that one. At various times, hazing has never struck me as particularly funny, and my primal instincts always superceded the acquiescence required for acceptance in the group.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:06 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I
It's such a weird phenonemon to me with all of this so-called hazing at schools and universities in the US and I think it's appalling.
I don't think the US has a corner on the market. Kids this age can be very mean/nasty no matter what country they're from. It may take different forms, but it exists everywhere. I went to a small US high school and never heard of it happening but DH has told me some stories about his school days in the UK (esp. when he went to grammar school).
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I don't think the US has a corner on the market. Kids this age can be very mean/nasty no matter what country they're from. It may take different forms, but it exists everywhere. I went to a small US high school and never heard of it happening but DH has told me some stories about his school days in the UK (esp. when he went to grammar school).
That's true, but these rigid 'factions' seem to be more of a US phenomenon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.