Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

I was driving past our local high school yesterday and there were 8 TV camera crews on the pavement nearby.

A big news story has broken out about the 'Slut List' - where teenage 'mean' girls are hazing (intimidating/bullying) the girls who are not considered 'popular'. Apparently some girls are upset that they are NOT on the 'slut list'...

It's such a weird phenonemon to me with all of this so-called hazing at schools and universities in the US and I think it's appalling.

This is the report and video from 'Good Morning America' on ABC this morning:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/teen-girls...ory?id=8649050

I'm so glad that my son has already graduated from this school and AFAIK was never involved in any incidents like this, as a perpetrator or a victim (he was never one of the 'popular' group). I had no idea it's been going on for about 15 years. It all seems pathetic and childish to me. They should at the very least suspend or even expel the instigator/s to teach the rest of the pupils - now and in the future - to refrain from this 'hazing'....but I know the superintendent won't do any such thing.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's such a weird phenonemon to me with all of this so-called hazing at schools and universities in the US and I think it's appalling.
University hazing is just a bit of fun. This sounds like a whole different ball game.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

One of our local schools has been in the national news lately for a school bus beating, I think it is disgusting, I wonder how the parents of these kids feel when they see them in the video acting like animals!

Now the white supremists have moved in and are trying to make it out to be a hate crime!

http://ssomail.charter.net/do/redire...252Fvideo%252F
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I hope all of them get expelled, and are prevented from graduating this year. There is no harmless fun in what they did. If it hurts their little egos, to damn bad - perhaps it will teach them a lesson about life. And I hope they hold the parents accountable for the kids actions. If they actually did their jobs as parents, this kinda crap wouldn't happen.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Very weird stuff. I never encountered any of that kind of stuff at schools in the UK.
I did encounter something like it at Uni when I signed up for the rugby team and went along to the first social event and discovered it meant having a bunch of public schoolboy tossers expect you to pour pints of urine over your head and stuff like that. Errr no thanks, I like playing rugby but I think I'll give that a miss you freaks.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:11 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been a slow news day. Seriously, national news? Surely the local paper is all this "story" is worthy of.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Must have been a slow news day. Seriously, national news? Surely the local paper is all this "story" is worthy of.
That was my first thought as well. Given that teenage girls are involved, there's a strong chance that this is something minor that has been blown out of proportion by attention-seeking kids and over-reacting adults.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

My DD's school just had a bomb plot which thankfully one of the boys spoke up about.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Very weird stuff. I never encountered any of that kind of stuff at schools in the UK.
Me neither. There appear to be very fixed groups like 'popular', 'nerd' that one has to belong to. The girl groups are brutal in terms of what is considered de rigeur. My daughter goes along with a lot of the fashion victim crap to stay in with the right people.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
That was my first thought as well. Given that teenage girls are involved, there's a strong chance that this is something minor that has been blown out of proportion by attention-seeking kids and over-reacting adults.

While this may not have "deserved" wide-spread news coverage, bullying in this form IS a huge problem. Girls can be so nasty to each other and it's destructive to the soul and distracts from education. As an adult I have the coping skills to deal with this kind of crap, but the victims of such bullying are usually chosen in part because they can't shut down the abuse. On occasion I hear it as a parent by-stander and I WILL intervene verbally.

FWIW I avoided this altogether in high school by having only guy friends.

Found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo...4342147&page=4

Too right I would intervene, though I'd do it calmly like the man on this page.

Last edited by snowbunny; Sep 23rd 2009 at 8:02 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:40 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
It's a commuter town that I actually right on the edge of. Chances are one of the reporters has kids in that school.

Edited to add: The high school I went in London was known as Burghley Boghole, as it had a rep for 6th Formers grabbing 1st years and flushing their heads in the toilets. Luckily for me, that was pretty much phased out when I got there, but that doesn't mean we didn't just up and leave the toilets if any 6th Formers came in, just in case.

Last edited by Ridski; Sep 23rd 2009 at 9:44 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
It's a commuter town that I actually right on the edge of. Chances are one of the reporters has kids in that school.

Edited to add: The high school I went in London was known as Burghley Boghole, as it had a rep for 6th Formers grabbing 1st years and flushing their heads in the toilets. Luckily for me, that was pretty much phased out when I got there, but that doesn't mean we didn't just up and leave the toilets if any 6th Formers came in, just in case.
My husband's school in Gateshead had a chaming old custom called 'Foggy's Friday' where the 1st years or foggies received the same treatment.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: The Slut List - Teen Girls at My Local High School

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

My daughter goes along with a lot of the fashion victim crap to stay in with the right people.
Which is why it would be better if all the public schools in the US implemented the wearing of school uniform so everyone is on an equal footing.

We moved to the US when my daughter was 16 and had just taken her IGCSE's. She knew a lot of American kids (her boyfriend was at Singapore American School) and had seen enough of the 'Valley Girls' and the 'popular groups' to put her off wanting to go to our local NJ high school....just as well as it's the one with the 'Slut List' which seems to have been ongoing for years - perhaps they would have found a newbie from overseas a prime candidate to pick on....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
University hazing is just a bit of fun. This sounds like a whole different ball game.
In the UK it's usually drinking games or knick the mascot from the rival uni....they take it to a whole new level over here and it's beyond having a laugh but a bit sad really and those turning a blind eye to it are probably worse, trying to relive their "glory" days I guess.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My husband's school in Gateshead had a chaming old custom called 'Foggy's Friday' where the 1st years or foggies received the same treatment.
I battered seven shades of shit out of someone trying that stunt on me as a kid, worked a treat, but then I guess he didn't expect to be sandbanged by a rucksack weighing a ton in books, nor picking teeth out of the urinal afterwards

But then back in the day you wouldn't get sued/arrested for standing up for yourself either....or paying someone else to stand up for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.