Sleep Apnea

Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sleep Apnea

Just got Home after spending last night in my local Hospital undergoing a "Sleep Study" to see if I have Sleep Apnea.

I slept solidly for between 6.5 and 7 hours........and they still don't have enough Data to come to a conclusion. The Tech says that it looks as though I will have to go back for another night of being watched and hooked up to electrodes and all the shit that goes with it.

Costs a Grand each time, most of which is covered by my Insurance.

Anyone who is a CDL Holder, with a neck size larger than 17, will probably have to do this Test.

Jim.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sleep Apnea

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Just got Home after spending last night in my local Hospital undergoing a "Sleep Study" to see if I have Sleep Apnea.

I slept solidly for between 6.5 and 7 hours........and they still don't have enough Data to come to a conclusion. The Tech says that it looks as though I will have to go back for another night of being watched and hooked up to electrodes and all the shit that goes with it.

Anyone who is a CDL Holder, with a neck size larger than 17, will probably have to do this Test.

Jim.
How do you prep for this? I'm not sure I could sleep *at all* if I felt I was being monitored. Does CDL == Commercial Driving Licence btw?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
How do you prep for this? I'm not sure I could sleep *at all* if I felt I was being monitored. Does CDL == Commercial Driving Licence btw?
Yes on the CDL Bit.

Lucky for me, I have to take 25mg of Benadryl for Allergies, just before I climb into Bed. There is a video camera on you all the time, along with electrodes attached to your Head, Chest and Legs. Then there are two straps wrapped around your Chest and two small probes sticking into your nose, taped to your upper lip.

I felt like "Steve Austin at the start of the "Six Million Dollar Man" - LOL.

No Call Button for the Nurse, either. There is a Microphone right by your head to monitor your breathing......along with other Bodily noises, no doubt.

Jim.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Yes on the CDL Bit.

Lucky for me, I have to take 25mg of Benadryl for Allergies, just before I climb into Bed. There is a video camera on you all the time, along with electrodes attached to your Head, Chest and Legs. Then there are two straps wrapped around your Chest and two small probes sticking into your nose, taped to your upper lip.

I felt like "Steve Austin at the start of the "Six Million Dollar Man" - LOL.

No Call Button for the Nurse, either. There is a Microphone right by your head to monitor your breathing......along with other Bodily noises, no doubt.

Jim.
I think i would be too wound up by all of that for any meaningful readings to come of it.
Are they checking as a precaution against sleeping whilst driving or something?

Not sure they would appreciate my "other bodily noises". I normally get a slap if there are any of those goin on.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutek
I think i would be too wound up by all of that for any meaningful readings to come of it.
Are they checking as a precaution against sleeping whilst driving or something?

Not sure they would appreciate my "other bodily noises". I normally get a slap if there are any of those goin on.
Doing it for CDL Driver's, whose neck size is bigger than 17 (me) and underheight for your weight people (me).

As I work all sorts of odd hours, I'm a a prime candidate for this Test. However, it is probably going to be recommended for anyone who is overweight, regardless of whether you have a CDL or not.

Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching.

Jim.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do this test years ago, and I just may need to have it re-done soon. I was told I didn't have sleep apnea, but that I had what's called "upper airway resistance syndrome" or something like that. Basically, I have smaller airways than normal, and because I'm overweight, its putting extra pressure on my airways and they are closing up occasionally. There's f-all they can do about it though, unless I want to undergo a laser surgery to widen my airways, which may not solve the problem. So I just suffer feeling fatigued and never actually refreshed after a night's sleep.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

BIL had it done end of last year as he had a really horrid snore, buildings would shake kind of loud.

Ended up having some surgery on his throat which made a huge difference, also he seems to sleep better and not be quite so dozy
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:49 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Jim.
That really is bull droppings.

I actually have sleep Apnea, I wake up 80 times an hour or something really nuts like that. There is no way they could not have a conclusion you either slept or you did not.

When I did mine they came and put a mask on me middle of the night, also the tech. is not allowed to tell you anything about the results, so check with the doctor first.

In the morning I asked the tech a question, that I figured he could answer and that was did the mask make a difference. The one word reply was sufficent for me.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My old boss used to suffer from this, he found out while driving up the M1 from London to Yorkshire. Lots of people had called the police about a drunk man driving up the road, the police were right behind him when he finally veered off the road and crashed into a field. He got a driver after that. It was quite funny when you would sit in a meeting with him, he would be talking one moment and asleep the next.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fsm
That really is bull droppings.

I actually have sleep Apnea, I wake up 80 times an hour or something really nuts like that. There is no way they could not have a conclusion you either slept or you did not.

When I did mine they came and put a mask on me middle of the night, also the tech. is not allowed to tell you anything about the results, so check with the doctor first.

In the morning I asked the tech a question, that I figured he could answer and that was did the mask make a difference. The one word reply was sufficent for me.
I will be taking it up with the Doc, but, the Tech gave me some pointers thanks to 20+ years of doing the Tests.

I don't want to go for another Test, so, I'll wait and see what happens next.

Jim.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
My old boss used to suffer from this, he found out while driving up the M1 from London to Yorkshire. Lots of people had called the police about a drunk man driving up the road, the police were right behind him when he finally veered off the road and crashed into a field. He got a driver after that. It was quite funny when you would sit in a meeting with him, he would be talking one moment and asleep the next.
I think that is called narcolepsy. I worked with a fella who did that all the time. He would drop off to sleep then come round and continue working..even still had his hand on the mouse, we recorded him once and showed him.. he had no idea!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing isn't it what new medical fads they come up with.
Personally know of two people who over the last year have had the test and both are wearing the masks at night. They sleep less now with the masks then they did before.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I think that is called narcolepsy. I worked with a fella who did that all the time. He would drop off to sleep then come round and continue working..even still had his hand on the mouse, we recorded him once and showed him.. he had no idea!
Oh yeah, sorry
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:38 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
Amazing isn't it what new medical fads they come up with.
Personally know of two people who over the last year have had the test and both are wearing the masks at night. They sleep less now with the masks then they did before.
I think I sleep more, however I know the wife sleeps better with me wearing the mask
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

I've used a mask for eight years and sleep tons better I bought an inverter and wire cables and the company i drive for installed it in the tractor but now the company will buy one if the driver needs it. I think the company has to make ' reasonable accommodation ' for things like this.

But, if the doctor puts you in the big neck brigade then it looks like it's up to the driver to prove that he does or does'nt have sleep apnea

Jim, you should have a good idea yourself if you have it, snoring, stop breathing when sleeping and ready for a nap after getting out of bed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.