Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Simon Pegg On British/American Humour

Simon Pegg On British/American Humour

Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:39 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simon Pegg On British/American Humour

Good article too, and not just finding a roundabout way of saying, "Americans are funny, and Brits aren't", or vice versa.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/c...009754,00.html
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simon Pegg On British/American Humour

A funny man
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:02 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Good article too, and not just finding a roundabout way of saying, "Americans are funny, and Brits aren't", or vice versa.

Thanks for the link to an interesting article. Karma dispatched.

Can't wait for Hot Fuzz.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:03 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

A good article (more karma given). The one comment I have though is about the idea that Americans are more open and emotional - maybe it's just the cynic in me but that's probably due to the amount of fake sentiment that's thrown around willy-nilly here.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

I am so excited about the upcoming "Hot Fuzz" from Simon Pegg http://www.hotfuzz.com/. I loved his sitcom "Spaced"...and...and...this one's got Jim Broadbent, Timothy Dalton and Bill Bailey in it as well. Top casting!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:34 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
I am so excited about the upcoming "Hot Fuzz" from Simon Pegg http://www.hotfuzz.com/. I loved his sitcom "Spaced"...and...and...this one's got Jim Broadbent, Timothy Dalton and Bill Bailey in it as well. Top casting!
Yeah, but we have to flippin' wait until April (Australia even gets it before the US)
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent article, thanx very much. Here, have some karma!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:41 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

excellent article . I'd forgotten that Hotfuzz was on its way, but do we really have to wait til mid April for a limited cinema release over here

Karma worthy none the less
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:53 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
A good article (more karma given). The one comment I have though is about the idea that Americans are more open and emotional - maybe it's just the cynic in me but that's probably due to the amount of fake sentiment that's thrown around willy-nilly here.
It's not that there isn't a lot of fake sentiment in the USA as I'm sure there is...but I think Americans, especially men are perhaps a bit more confident than Brits and more easy in their own skin and gender. Perhaps they feel less embarrassed about the fact that they have emotions and then showing them. Brit men seem to think that emotions are a weakness that must be hidden or made fun of. I like the fact that Americans seem to be able to act on or show feelings without worrying about what their mates down the pub will say first.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:07 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE Simon Pegg. I fell in love with him in "Spaced" and would marry him if I wasn't already married. And if he wasn't already married. And if he knew me. Anyway...

A fantastic, well-written article. He really does sum up very well the differences in American and British humor. Maybe it's because I'm American, but I appreciated that he didn't just do what a lot of non-Americans do and just bash the American's way of thinking and behavior. For instance, he mentioned how Americans tend to be more demonstrative than Brits are (which I agree with), but he didn't make it sound like a negative -- he just pointed out that it's a difference.

I got a chuckle when he said how many Americans will mention "Are You Being Served?" and "Benny Hill" when asked what Americans think of as British comedy. Mark's always saying that to me. However, I think the main reason for this is because, for many Americans, those are the kinds of British shows they are most likely to have seen. PBS staples are "Keeping Up Appearances," "May to December," "As Time Goes By" and "Are You Being Served?" and have been for years.

Even on BBC America, the majority of programming seems to be made up of either "Cash in the Attic" (not a comedy, but still) or "Whose Line Is It Anyway" (where at least half of the performers are on the American version of the show anyway). BBC America used to show "Spaced," "The Catherine Tate Show" and some other more contemporary comedies, but for some reason you never see them anymore. Instead, we keep hearing about great British sitcoms being made into Americanized versions -- "The Office" (of course), "The Vicar of Dibley" (with Kirstie Alley??), "The IT Crowd" (where thankfully at least one of the British actors/characters is making the crossover), etc. So instead of Americans being introduced to these wonderful British sitcoms, they are introduced to American clones and assuming they were American shows to begin with. No wonder they don't know, understand or appreciate British humor.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Chef in Dallas has a spectacular aura aboutChef in Dallas has a spectacular aura aboutChef in Dallas has a spectacular aura about

It's the "Just kidding" after Americans try a little sarcasm, it DRIVES ME NUTS. I KNOW your kidding, I'm not daft. Trouble is, they take offence when you are sarcastic and don't say "just kiddin"

Darren

theroyalchef.com
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:33 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I LOVE Simon Pegg. I fell in love with him in "Spaced" and would marry him if I wasn't already married. And if he wasn't already married. And if he knew me. Anyway...

A fantastic, well-written article. He really does sum up very well the differences in American and British humor. Maybe it's because I'm American, but I appreciated that he didn't just do what a lot of non-Americans do and just bash the American's way of thinking and behavior. For instance, he mentioned how Americans tend to be more demonstrative than Brits are (which I agree with), but he didn't make it sound like a negative -- he just pointed out that it's a difference.

I got a chuckle when he said how many Americans will mention "Are You Being Served?" and "Benny Hill" when asked what Americans think of as British comedy. Mark's always saying that to me. However, I think the main reason for this is because, for many Americans, those are the kinds of British shows they are most likely to have seen. PBS staples are "Keeping Up Appearances," "May to December," "As Time Goes By" and "Are You Being Served?" and have been for years.

Even on BBC America, the majority of programming seems to be made up of either "Cash in the Attic" (not a comedy, but still) or "Whose Line Is It Anyway" (where at least half of the performers are on the American version of the show anyway). BBC America used to show "Spaced," "The Catherine Tate Show" and some other more contemporary comedies, but for some reason you never see them anymore. Instead, we keep hearing about great British sitcoms being made into Americanized versions -- "The Office" (of course), "The Vicar of Dibley" (with Kirstie Alley??), "The IT Crowd" (where thankfully at least one of the British actors/characters is making the crossover), etc. So instead of Americans being introduced to these wonderful British sitcoms, they are introduced to American clones and assuming they were American shows to begin with. No wonder they don't know, understand or appreciate British humor.

~ Jenney
Excellent post!