Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Old May 17th 2009, 11:48 pm
Scottish forever

scotia123 will become famous soon enough
Default Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Has anyone spent a long weekend/vacation in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. If so any recommended places to stay. Going in early August.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:54 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shenandoah Valley Virginia

Originally Posted by scotia123
Has anyone spent a long weekend/vacation in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. If so any recommended places to stay. Going in early August.
We are going this there this week-end! Will let you know next week!
Old May 18th 2009, 2:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed with friends there and its amazing I loved it, lucky you wish I was going.

http://www.shenandoahcaverns.com/v.php?pg=5 you have to go here.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:03 pm
Scottish forever

Have a great trip, I am eager to hear what you think of the area, we saw a tiny part last year but only from the highway.....which sucks.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:09 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

A couple of yrs ago we stayed in a luxury cabin in the Blue Ridge National Park .... had a great time ...hope you enjoy!
http://www.visitshenandoah.org/v.php?pg=409
Old May 18th 2009, 3:34 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks for the link......I have just ordered several info packs from them.....just need to find the right place to stay now, but Im sure wherever we stay will be beautiful.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I camped in the park one night, stopping off on the way to DC. Wish I could have stayed longer, would have liked to visit some of the Civil War sites. I remember it was very beautiful, great views over the valley. And lots of deer wandering through the camp site.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:49 pm
Scottish forever

Sounds fantastic........will have to keep an eye on the old man with the wildlife there.........he goes deer hunting later in the year.!!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:15 pm
Scottish forever

To Robskatie......how did your trip go.....any info on where to stay etc would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:26 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

To Robskatie......how did your trip go.....any info on where to stay etc would be appreciated. Thanks
OOO! I'm sorry! I forgot about this thread!
We had a great time, very relaxing, beautiful area.
We went camping with another family and stayed here: http://campingisfun.com/ it was a great place if you have kids, very very clean, camping is not really my thing but my husband had fun fishing and stuff and the kids enjoyed it so well worth a visit!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:57 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks for the info....its just me and hubby going and although he would love the camping scene, Im afraid its not me. Im sure we will enjoy the area wherever we stay.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

If you're going in August you may want to stay higher up on skyline drive where it's cool enough to stay in non-air-conditioned cabins or motel-like accommodation in the national park. We've been to Skyland Resort a couple of times. Ask for a non-smoking standard room on the upper level (important this so as to benefit from the valley view over the trees).
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:48 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks for that....
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

If you do stay on Skyline Drive, bear in mind the extra driving time. It's a 100 mile long twisty mountain road with a 35mph speed limit, it's a 3800 feet elevation, and there are only a few exits down into the valley, so it can take a while to drive to/from anything. There are restaurants & bars at the resorts but bring your own snacks and beverages as there are just a few small shops catering to the camping crowd. Fill up with gas before you ascend, I think there's just the one gas station at Big Meadows. If you go hiking down to one of the waterfalls off the drive, watch for bears on the trails. Lovely sunsets when you're up there, definitely worth driving to one of the lookout points facing West, you'll most likely meet a few other people with the same idea and it's friendly. The dawn mist rising up the mountainside tickling your toes as you sit on the balcony is nice