Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Shed Felt in the US?

Wikiposts

Shed Felt in the US?

Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:44 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shed Felt in the US?

Hopefully someone out there is handy with a hammer and would know what I'm on about. I'm in the process of buying a house and the house in question has some decking which we know our dogs are going to try to live under and no doubt get soaked so I'm thinking about putting some shed felt on top of it to it would be water resistant without becoming lethal should anyone step on it, which would be rarely but still might happen.

I've had a look at Lowes and Home Depot online but can't seem to find what I'm looking for so now I'm guessing that it's called something totally different over here. I don't suppose anyone knows what it's called over here or maybe something that would do the job just as well? I'm certainly no DIY expert so nothing too technical please
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shed Felt in the US?

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Hopefully someone out there is handy with a hammer and would know what I'm on about. I'm in the process of buying a house and the house in question has some decking which we know our dogs are going to try to live under and no doubt get soaked so I'm thinking about putting some shed felt on top of it to it would be water resistant without becoming lethal should anyone step on it, which would be rarely but still might happen.

I've had a look at Lowes and Home Depot online but can't seem to find what I'm looking for so now I'm guessing that it's called something totally different over here. I don't suppose anyone knows what it's called over here or maybe something that would do the job just as well? I'm certainly no DIY expert so nothing too technical please
Tarpaper?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty handy with a hammer, but it's not clear to me what you are trying to do. What is going to be covered by this material? The surface of the deck? The ground underneath the deck?

Water resistant without becoming lethal?? Maybe I'm thick today, but I don't know what you are getting at. What problem are you trying to avoid?

My neighbor has a deck and a dog, and I don't think he has done anything with roofing felt/tarpaper.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:56 am

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Look for roofing felt.....
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be better off just roofing the decking.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:13 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

I'm pretty handy with a hammer, but it's not clear to me what you are trying to do. What is going to be covered by this material? The surface of the deck? The ground underneath the deck?

Water resistant without becoming lethal?? Maybe I'm thick today, but I don't know what you are getting at. What problem are you trying to avoid?

My neighbor has a deck and a dog, and I don't think he has done anything with roofing felt/tarpaper.
It would be to cover the decking, turning it into a roof. Obviously it could be done with plastic but should anyone step on that they'd break their neck so I wanted a durable material with a rough surface incase anyone does stand on it.

We have dog houses but our dogs aren't the brightest things in the world and sleep under anything other than their own roofs so other than converting the garage in to a kennel this is the next best option.

The roofing Felt/tarpaper looks like it's the same stuff so I'll have to have a look and see if my idea will work, thanks for the help.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:20 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It would be to cover the decking, turning it into a roof. Obviously it could be done with plastic but should anyone step on that they'd break their neck so I wanted a durable material with a rough surface incase anyone does stand on it.

We have dog houses but our dogs aren't the brightest things in the world and sleep under anything other than their own roofs so other than converting the garage in to a kennel this is the next best option.

The roofing Felt/tarpaper looks like it's the same stuff so I'll have to have a look and see if my idea will work, thanks for the help.
It's not very durable for walking on. You might be better off with actual shingles, but I'm not sure how long they'd last under foot traffic either. How about roofing the deck?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Roofing felt isn't meant to be walked on; I don't think this is going to work very well. Instead of trying to keep water from getting under the deck, how about keeping the dogs out? Build some decorative skirting around as a barrier. If your dogs can get under there, then skunks and possums can, too, and you don't want that.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:30 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

You can get plastic pavers to put on top of the felt, but it should be covered with large gravel/small aggregate to weigh it down and reflect heat and UV.

Look at what they do with flat roofs.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to check how the water will drain off anything you cover the deck with. Decks usually have gaps between the boards for drainage, if you cover the gaps you don't want the water to roll back towards the house.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:00 am
You aint seen me, right?

It should only be a short term thing as eventually we will probably just put a dog door in the garage but at the moment it's going to be full of stuff whilst we sort the house out so I don't really want to do anything too permanent and it shouldn't need to last too long and like I said I've no intention of walking on the decking but no doubt friends will visit once we move in and a lot of them have young children so the last thing I want is one of them breaking their neck should they go on to it
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:17 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

I would just wait until the dogs worked it out and went into their dog houses.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:17 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

What about building a dog house under the deck...or is muttley too dumb to come in from the rain?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a web site for what you are looking for, you can enter your zip code to find a local dealer.

http://www.tamko.com/Residential/tab...4/Default.aspx

have fun
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Roofing felt isn't meant to be walked on; I don't think this is going to work very well. Instead of trying to keep water from getting under the deck, how about keeping the dogs out? Build some decorative skirting around as a barrier. If your dogs can get under there, then skunks and possums can, too, and you don't want that.
Particularly if the dogs AND the skunk go under.

Perhaps get some of that (cheap) green wire garden fence. and just close it off. Quite an easy job. Wouldn't keep little critters out, but works for dogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.