Reload this Page >

Severe Weather Warnings

Severe Weather Warnings

Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Severe Weather Warnings

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You lucky woman you. I'm over here jealous. Then again, I'm in a condo. I can hunker down with a hunk in the basement.
i always laugh when i hear the word hunker as it's not one we tend to use or even really hear in the uk. so when i first got here 6 yrs ago and the media would say to stay indoors and hunker down i just burst out laughing and still do ....dunno why
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

That covers it. Tornado season has about the same time frame on the topside of the year. Tornado Alley does this funky transition over time. It goes from the northwestern most section to the south eastern most section of the area. Kinda like in a curve fashion.

Wiki Article
yes i've heard of tornado alley and tbh pleased we at least miss out on that but are in line more so for hurricanes
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
sooooo...

whats with the weather service interupting my programs every 5 mins to tell me there is a severe thunderstorm...or the odd tornado alert...

In the UK we would never get anything like this - especially not for a thunderstorm...so are the americans over-reacting, or do they have magic thunder??

I dont think I shall be impressed if star wars gets interupted!!!!! Mind you if Im gona get blown away I would prob prefer to know.............
As the others have said, they are annoying, these warnings, but definitely take them seriously. We don't get many storms down here in AZ, but they can be humdingers. We had one during the Monsoon last summer that knocked the power out for two days. About half a dozen power poles were snapped like toothpicks, weather guy said it was a micro burst, radar at the County offices showed a tornado The storms here have some punch to them.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:13 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

The worst is when you tivo/dvr something then watch it an hour later and get the warning and think blimey it did sound bad outside earlier.... and you totally missed it!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Based on experience, Yanks do seem to freak out with anything other than perfectly sunny weather...

My Father-In-Law is nutty on the weather... If there is a warning over a 10% chance that they may possibly get more than an inch of snow he cancels his plans for the weekend and stocks on the bare essentials... Seriously!!!

Maybe it's America, maybe it's just by FIL!?! Wierd guy!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:23 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Based on experience, Yanks do seem to freak out with anything other than perfectly sunny weather...

My Father-In-Law is nutty on the weather... If there is a warning over a 10% chance that they may possibly get more than an inch of snow he cancels his plans for the weekend and stocks on the bare essentials... Seriously!!!

Maybe it's America, maybe it's just by FIL!?! Wierd guy!
Actually it's both in your case. However there have been cases when 2 inches have been predicted and more than 2 feet of snow have dropped shutting down a city completely. It happened in the DC area. My parents, thank goodness, went to the grocery store like everyone else for the basics, thinking it was not going to be too bad but bad enough. Little did they know they were in for a blizzard. The guy that predicted the 2 inches is a top notch weather guy. The most accurate dude in the city and he got that wrong. So you live and learn. Your FIL is in the know.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Actually it's both in your case. However there have been cases when 2 inches have been predicted and more than 2 feet of snow have dropped shutting down a city completely. It happened in the DC area. My parents, thank goodness, went to the grocery store like everyone else for the basics, thinking it was not going to be too bad but bad enough. Little did they know they were in for a blizzard. The guy that predicted the 2 inches is a top notch weather guy. The most accurate dude in the city and he got that wrong. So you live and learn. Your FIL is in the know.
i always like at least a good 6 to 7 inches myself even more
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... But.... He's like that for every time we are predicted two inches of snow! Once in a blue moon, alrighty, buy in a stash to dig into when it gets crappy, but panicking over every two inches is pushing it.

My money is still edging towards my FIL being nuts!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:31 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
My problem is...I'm spoiled....
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We are still talking about the weather, aren't we?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:34 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Do take them seriously. However don't panic. Just stay where you are and don't do the crap you shouldn't do in a thunderstorm. As for tornado warnings, you'll hear a siren go off. If you hear that, do find a lower place for protection. No windows and in a central location of the building. Make sure you're not in a room with a lot of potential flying projectiles in the room. Scope out this location now so you'll know where to go later. After that, just chill and tolerate the interruptions.
I experienced my first tornado last year and learned quickly there are no sirens in this town, I heard it on the car radio and hid in someones house. I have a weather alert radio at home - we are currently under tornado watch.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
me too, my man is a texan you know but don't like to brag
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:37 pm
Riding on silver wings

Yeah. I really get excited when 6 or 7" is promised overnight myself.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

oh yes for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.