British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Setanta / Fox Soccer Plus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/setanta-fox-soccer-plus-651717/)

penguinsix Jan 29th 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Setanta / Fox Soccer Plus

There is a new, pub-only channel starting out of the burned out remnants of Setanta. They'll be showing rugby to the usual places, but it will be under a new name "Premium Services" or something like that. It's run by the former VP of Setanta.

Setanta's crash is the stuff of a literary tragedy mixed with slapstick stupidity.

Duncan Roberts Jan 29th 2010 8:27 pm

It's going to be a premium channel but as yet DirecTV hasn't said they will be carrying it. I'm guessing they will and it will be the same price as Setanta. A lot of people think they won't carry it until the satellite they launched recently is fully operational.

penguinsix Jan 29th 2010 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8294385)
It's going to be a premium channel but as yet DirecTV hasn't said they will be carrying it. I'm guessing they will and it will be the same price as Setanta. A lot of people think they won't carry it until the satellite they launched recently is fully operational.

Your talking about Fox Soccer Plus, right? The 'new Setanta' is supposed to be pub-only, because they got so burned going direct to homes they want to get out of that market and concentrate on what they know (the pay-per-view in bars market).

Duncan Roberts Jan 29th 2010 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 8294435)
Your talking about Fox Soccer Plus, right? The 'new Setanta' is supposed to be pub-only, because they got so burned going direct to homes they want to get out of that market and concentrate on what they know (the pay-per-view in bars market).

Yes, Fox Soccer Plus will replace the current Setanta. The only reasons Setanta got burned was because of their insanity bidding on the premiership rights and their ridiculous projections about the subscribers they would get.

penguinsix Jan 29th 2010 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8294442)
Yes, Fox Soccer Plus will replace the current Setanta. The only reasons Setanta got burned was because of their insanity bidding on the premiership rights and their ridiculous projections about the subscribers they would get.

And a drunken management staff :-)

tonrob Jan 29th 2010 9:08 pm

As long as I can continue to drink Guinness* with my breakfast while watching the rugby in the company of fellow Welshmen then I'll be happy...

*This is the only time I make an exception for the bland, over-chilled Oirish stout.

HoosierDaddy Jan 31st 2010 4:05 am

Caught FSC HD today. Very impressed :thumbup:

BritishGuy36 Jan 31st 2010 1:00 pm

I miss HD footy. Badly.

Macca67 Jan 31st 2010 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8290442)
Did anyone notice this news from yesterday

Setanta US to cease from March 1st onwards

Fox Soccer Channel picking up the slack and launching Fox Soccer Plus as of the same date.
I'm hoping Verizon will pick it up..... :fingerscrossed:

Well spotted. I switched to AT&T last year because they were offering Setanta as an add on. I'm hoping they pick up FSP. Also, I thought ESPN were goingto be showing more games in the US after picking up Setanta's UK rights earlier this sseason?

scrubbedexpat097 Jan 31st 2010 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8297382)

Wayne Rooney spitting a lugey in HD=:thumbdown::scaredhair:

BigDavyG Feb 1st 2010 2:47 am

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8297382)

Anyone know if the HD available on comcast - I couldn't find it myself, though noticed the regular channel had HD plastered over the screen.

With the demise of setanta, anyone know what's happening with setanta online - I always thought it was a bit of a bargain at $140 a year, including all the ppv stuff for free.

cluedweasel Feb 1st 2010 6:39 am

Bad news for me because it looks like FSC+ isn't going to have an online subscription option. Setanta-i isn't perfect but it's better than nothing.

HoosierDaddy Feb 1st 2010 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 8299759)
Anyone know if the HD available on comcast - I couldn't find it myself, though noticed the regular channel had HD plastered over the screen.

Same for me Davy - on Verizon Fios at least. The HD game was on the SD channel but it looked a helluva lot better.

TimberHut Feb 1st 2010 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Socal Local (Post 8294334)
I can't wait for this game as well - I couldn't believe the draw especially with them being the last two teams out of the hat. I will actually be in the UK, but no chance of getting to the game we'll be at the other end of country at a family reunion :(

Hi Socal - who do you support?

Saints or Pompey?

BigDavyG Feb 1st 2010 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 8300547)
Same for me Davy - on Verizon Fios at least. The HD game was on the SD channel but it looked a helluva lot better.

Pic might have been a bit better than normal, I agree, but def not hd quality imo.
For me it def seems as if the new set-up will be worse, def for the rugby, where setanta-i provided a pretty decent service that I could use in work.