Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Separated by a common language

Separated by a common language

Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Separated by a common language

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Even now, when I watch episodes of "House Hunters", I get confused when Brits (or maybe Europeans in general) are looking for a house "with a garden". They stand there looking out at an expanse of green lawn, and they get excited about the "garden", but there's no garden in sight! To me, a garden requires flowers or vegetables to be grown there. LOL
I live in a "garden apartment", which has no garden of either the US or the UK variety. Evidently the term refers to the layout of the complex.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame that we no longer have George Carlin to enlighten us about such perplexing terms.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Speedwell
I live in a "garden apartment", which has no garden of either the US or the UK variety.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple of excerpts from a blog-post of mine this last August, on the topic of English as spoken and adapted in "Unexpected Places". The last sentence may have meaning only for those who know the Australian accent...

What should amaze us, but doesn’t, is the fluency of English spoken by so many black people of African descent in the Caribbean and North America. It was the strict policy of slave-owners and traders to split up tribes, clans and families on their arrival in the New World, in order to minimise the danger of revolt. Pidgins and patois originated to provide means of communication between owners and slaves and among the slaves themselves. Nevertheless, most blacks in the US, for instance, speak standard English.

In other circumstances... One of Britain’s former Australian colonies has a city called Air Delight, named for a British Queen Consort. Fortunately, the original spelling, Adelaide (she was German, actually), has been retained. Thank God for small mercies.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:01 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a "garden apartment", which has no garden of either the US or the UK variety. Evidently the term refers to the layout of the complex.
A garden apartment is partially subterranean. The windows are necessarily located toward the top of the unit, so there isn't much of a view.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:43 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
There was an equivalent word for a week, sennight or se'nnight. Jane Austen uses it in a couple of instances, can't remember which novels. So both are contractions, seven nights and fourteen nights. Sennight has now disappeared so I wonder if fortnight is becoming archaic even in Britain.
I saw that expression when I was a child reading a Classic Comics of David Copperfield.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've never heard the term "tabling", either way!

Rene
Roberts Rules of Order, had to take a course in it while on a board.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
A garden apartment is partially subterranean. The windows are necessarily located toward the top of the unit, so there isn't much of a view.
"garden apartment" sounds a lot flashier than "basement flat"
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

When I was pretty much fresh off the airplane about 28yrs ago, I was sat at work and asked if anyone had a "rubber"!! Every head snapped up. I'll never forget that. Another was when my boyfriend, now husband, came to pick me up for an early morning date. He thought I was still in bed, but my Mum told him my neighbor (a man) had already been round and "knocked me up". Many a good laugh has been had over these "language barriers"
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:59 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I was still a smoker out here, 'having a fag' always raised a few eyebrows.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:16 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
"garden apartment" sounds a lot flashier than "basement flat"
And a "bedsitter" sounds grim when compared to a "studio apartment."
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

So in the UK, garden flats are the ground-floor ones with use of the garden (in divided houses), and in the US they are basement flats?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So in the UK, garden flats are the ground-floor ones with use of the garden (in divided houses), and in the US they are basement flats?
No. A "garden apartment" really means no more than an apartment with direct access to the outside, instead of a door leading into an interior hallway. "Garden apartments" in the plural means that the complex has several buildings with a handful of apartments in each building, all arranged around landscaped spaces. Or something.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That last sentence, "Or something.", describes it best, because the term "garden apartment" can have a variety of meanings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartment

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
No. A "garden apartment" really means no more than an apartment with direct access to the outside, instead of a door leading into an interior hallway. "Garden apartments" in the plural means that the complex has several buildings with a handful of apartments in each building, all arranged around landscaped spaces. Or something.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:36 pm
Bloody Yank

What you've described is a garden-style apartment complex. The units have exterior doors, instead of interior corridors. It refers to the design of the property, not of the individual unit.

A garden apartment is a particular type of unit that is partially subterranean.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:43 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Back when I was still a smoker out here, 'having a fag' always raised a few eyebrows.
Having to bum one was even worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.