Security clearance

Old Jun 7th 2015, 4:17 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security clearance

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
From what I understand, attachment to a "friendly" country is also often of concern -- it increases the likelihood that an individual will believe that the interests of the two countries of coincident.
There is no distinction between countries in the regulations, and at most levels dual nationals will have to give up their passports and the other country isn't really relevant. There are some programs that are joint ventures (often between the US and the UK, Australia, NZ or Canada) and on those foreign nationals can get clearance.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You won't be required to renounce a foreign citizenship, but will be asked if you would be willing to do it. Giving up the passport will be required though.

Every evaluation is different. You, your friends and family will be interviewed and a decision made. As every individual is different and so is each job there is bound to be some interpretation of the rules.
It would be interesting to know who here, besides Pulaski and myself, had a US Top Secret clearance. Mine was back in the '60s, during the depths of the Cold War. I was never interviewed, nor asked whether I would renounce my Brit citizenship, nor give up my UK passport (I didn't have one to surrender, I came in on my parents' passport). Of course, a background investigation was run before I got clearance.

Part of my duties involved running background investigations on serving officers, looking for evidence of gambling debts, drinking, drug use, East German girlfriends...and being a member of the Democrat Party -- all signs of security issues, which would require deeper investigation.

Security seems to be relaxed these days. Today's news includes the revelation that the TSA has hired 73 people on the Terrorist Watch List and that they don't even require that an applicant produce a Social Security Number. That may tie in with 95% failure to find guns and simulated bombs being smuggled past security. And a lot of you want these people running your lives and health care? [Sarcasm on]

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Jun 9th 2015 at 5:42 am.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
the Democrat Party :
The Democratic Party is its name
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Democratic Party it is.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Jun 9th 2015 at 5:47 am.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

That may tie in with 95% failure to find guns and simulated bombs being smuggled past security.
As long as they find all the nail clippers, and confiscate drinks, we will be safe.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
As long as they find all the nail clippers, and confiscate drinks, we will be safe. ......
You forgot the oversized packets of breast milk.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 10:01 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Security seems to be relaxed these days. Today's news includes the revelation that the TSA has hired 73 people on the Terrorist Watch List and that they don't even require that an applicant produce a Social Security Number. That may tie in with 95% failure to find guns and simulated bombs being smuggled past security. And a lot of you want these people running your lives and health care? [Sarcasm on]
The hiring practices of the TSA (good or bad) have nothing to do with security clearances.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Security seems to be relaxed these days. Today's news includes the revelation that the TSA has hired 73 people on the Terrorist Watch List and that they don't even require that an applicant produce a Social Security Number. That may tie in with 95% failure to find guns and simulated bombs being smuggled past security.
Afraid not. I'd be surprised if the detection rates where much better elsewhere in the world, it's just the failure rates usually aren't leaked to the public. You always have to supply your SSN when starting a new job though don't you? I certainly have in the 2 jobs I've had.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by markonline1
Afraid not. I'd be surprised if the detection rates where much better elsewhere in the world, it's just the failure rates usually aren't leaked to the public. You always have to supply your SSN when starting a new job though don't you? I certainly have in the 2 jobs I've had.
I agree it sounds rather strange that TSA doesn't require SSNs from job applicants - but that is apparently the case. As for hiring the folks off the Terrorist Watch List, the head of TSA explained to the Senate today that the TWL has people listed under various codes. The TSA didn't have - or weren't given - all those codes, so some slipped on board. That's comforting, it seems the TSA wasn't deemed to have the "need to know" whether job applicants for security positions were terrorists or not. Perhaps they've since been supplied with the codes. Interesting to find out whether "the 73" were fired, or simply put on paid administrative leave.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting to know who here, besides Pulaski and myself, had a US Top Secret clearance. Mine was back in the '60s, during the depths of the Cold War. I was never interviewed, nor asked whether I would renounce my Brit citizenship, nor give up my UK passport (I didn't have one to surrender, I came in on my parents' passport). Of course, a background investigation was run before I got clearance.

Part of my duties involved running background investigations on serving officers, looking for evidence of gambling debts, drinking, drug use, East German girlfriends...and being a member of the Democrat Party -- all signs of security issues, which would require deeper investigation.

If I told you I would have to shoot you.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it sounds rather strange that TSA doesn't require SSNs from job applicants - but that is apparently the case. As for hiring the folks off the Terrorist Watch List, the head of TSA explained to the Senate today that the TWL has people listed under various codes. The TSA didn't have - or weren't given - all those codes, so some slipped on board. That's comforting, it seems the TSA wasn't deemed to have the "need to know" whether job applicants for security positions were terrorists or not. Perhaps they've since been supplied with the codes. Interesting to find out whether "the 73" were fired, or simply put on paid administrative leave.
Very strange about the SSN's. Anyway, for all you frequent flyers into LHR, there have been days where gov't inspectors have had a 100% success rate of getting stuff through. For once though, I actually agree with an "expert" on a news programme, who said that inspectors know the weak points and tend to test them.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Not as if you could expect anybody with evil intent also to target the weak point.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not as if you could expect anybody with evil intent also to target the weak point.
They would have to know what it is. The lack of a recent terrorist attack involving a flight from a western country would seem to indicate they are no more aware of any airport security weaknesses than you are.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Admittedly I do not want to work for the TSA, reminds me of Enigma.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Admittedly I do not want to work for the TSA, reminds me of Enigma.
Exactly. As far as you're concerned, if you strap a bomb or firearm to yourself, your almost certainly gonna be stopped at security. That's what your average terrorist hopefully believes too. There's no denying a failure rate of 95% is bad, but it's not easy to smuggle something on board bad if that makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.