Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Seconds away... round three!

Seconds away... round three!

Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seconds away... round three!

Ok.... I think we're through the first two rounds of the punch-up you have to get through to emigrate to the States.... No stitches yet so I think we're doing ok!

We have the visa and the house is 'sold, subject to contract'. I know that's not a done deal, but there are no chains anywhere, the buyers have been approved for a mortgage in principle, and the survey went ahead today. Surveyor said 'no problems at all and we'll notify the bank this afternoon'. I'm taking his word for that! My car is sold already and we'll sell SWMBO's to a dealer when we're ready to move..... It's all going too well, and I'm just waiting for the pooh to hit the rotary cooling device......

Next objective is somewhere to live when we get there. We looked around a few apartment places when we were there last November, and I've been in touch with the one we liked best. They have exactly what we want available next month (two bedrooms, sunroom option, 20ft from the pool, not too far to the gym in case you get knackered walking there ). We've been waiting 3 days now for an answer to an 'international application' credit thing. I know... no need for answers to that one! I had a mortgage there in 2005 too, but that doesn't show on any credit reports.

Just to add to an overly long post (sorry)! how did you do the car thing? I'll rent transport when we get there, but can't take the test in that. Do you buy a car and pay exhorbitant rates for insurance before the test, or beg one from somewhere and buy it afterwards?

Flippin' 'eck look at the time! It's late here but it doesn't matter as last day at work was yesterday... and it's the weekend tomorrow!... and there's more Stella in the fridge..... Love life........
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seconds away... round three!

Looks like all your finger crossing is paying off
FYI I was looking at the cost of Stella in Charleston at Total Wine
Stella Artois 12oz Btl, 6 pack $7.99, 12pk $13.49, 24 case $26.98
Newcastle is $2.49 a pint and $ 27.99-12pk
looks about same prices as you are currently paying.

As far as a car and its insurance is concerned you may be better off finding a local brocker initially who may be able to persuade the insurance company to take your previously 'unblemished' UK record into account rather than the big online companies who will not, I am paying similar to my neighbour who has lived in US all his life and we are only a few months different in age. My broker took my word and that of the guy who introduced us that I was a good driver with no accidents in 15 years, we pay less than $1000 a year on a fully comp Ford Focus and an 3rd Party plus on my Mercury Grand Marquis (Das Boat)
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think your licence affects the car insurance rate.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't think your licence affects the car insurance rate.
Oh it does...international license knocks your rate up, if you can get it, through the roof.

But you only have to worry about that for the few weeks till you get your US license and can then get the rate adjusted, well you should be able to.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:27 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we took our ohio test in a rental. no issues (well except the rental company hadnt paid up to date on the plates so they wouldnt let us take our test in THAT car - had to go back later with a properly up to date licensed renatl.)
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
we took our ohio test in a rental. no issues (well except the rental company hadnt paid up to date on the plates so they wouldnt let us take our test in THAT car - had to go back later with a properly up to date licensed renatl.)
They must have different rules in SC? I emailed the DMV and got a reply back saying we couldn't take our tests in a rental, but we could borrow one from friends or family. Luckily we'll have the money to just go and buy one when we get there, but I was wondering what the rules were for buying / insuring a car without a SC licence. I know it'll be damned expensive whatever they are!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vimto
Looks like all your finger crossing is paying off
FYI I was looking at the cost of Stella in Charleston at Total Wine
Many thanks for the good advice... especially the beer info! I'll also see if we can find a local broker when we get there.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh it does...international license knocks your rate up, if you can get it, through the roof.

But you only have to worry about that for the few weeks till you get your US license and can then get the rate adjusted, well you should be able to.
Thanks Bob.... I'm looking forward to having my pockets emptied!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Many thanks for the good advice... especially the beer info! I'll also see if we can find a local broker when we get there.
Jesus Christ! You're moving to the land of a thousand beers (and then some). Why would you poison yourself with Stella?!!!

Good luck with the move!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
Jesus Christ! You're moving to the land of a thousand beers (and then some). Why would you poison yourself with Stella?!!!

Good luck with the move!
Thanks mucker!!
Old May 1st 2010, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

tonrob is so right, here is the choices you have awaiting you:
http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store...charleston.pdf
Old May 1st 2010, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
tonrob is so right, here is the choices you have awaiting you:
http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store...charleston.pdf
Strongbow cider?
Old May 1st 2010, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like all your ducks are lining up nicely Steve! Are you planning on having any 'leaving do's' with the family/friends there before you come over?

We were hiding in a friends basement last night from all the tornado's/wind rolling through this area Moving to SC will be our first (State) move that isn't in tornado alley I guess we just have to deal with hurricane threats now!

and palmetto bugs and snakes
Old May 1st 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Sounds like all your ducks are lining up nicely Steve! Are you planning on having any 'leaving do's' with the family/friends there before you come over?

We were hiding in a friends basement last night from all the tornado's/wind rolling through this area Moving to SC will be our first (State) move that isn't in tornado alley I guess we just have to deal with hurricane threats now!

and palmetto bugs and snakes
Hi ET! Like I said in the first post.... It's all going a little bit too well! We don't have anything planned yet, well nothing formal, but we'll have to have a bit of a shindig with family and friends before we disappear. Problem is, I'll be expected to buy all the drinks!

Mrs S_I says at least you get a couple of days notice with a hurricane, tornado's just whack you when you're not looking! Hopefully she can deal with the bugs and snakes too, 'cos I'm not!
Old May 1st 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Hi ET! Like I said in the first post.... It's all going a little bit too well! We don't have anything planned yet, well nothing formal, but we'll have to have a bit of a shindig with family and friends before we disappear. Problem is, I'll be expected to buy all the drinks!

Mrs S_I says at least you get a couple of days notice with a hurricane, tornado's just whack you when you're not looking! Hopefully she can deal with the bugs and snakes too, 'cos I'm not!

I know what you mean, it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop! Most of it is going well for us, but hubby is still fighting with finance to try and get his pay/reimbursements sorted out The owners of the rental we got are being patient with us and allowing us to give them a post dated check for half the sec' dep' which is great for us. Also his location pay went down (lower cost of living than CO) we just didn't realise by how much it would, so that was a surprise!

As for your leaving do, I would buy the first round, after that they buy their own

There is a thread on the Charleston citydata.com page that has a link in it to see the bugs/snakes in the Charleston area...really wish I hadn't clicked on it I hate snakes and hubby isn't a fan either

Good luck with the house sale, sounds like it will go through ok. We are renting ours out here, but still don't have a 'signed' tenant yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.