Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Search for Explanations of the American Health Disadvantage Relative to the English

Wikiposts

Search for Explanations of the American Health Disadvantage Relative to the English

Old May 31st 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Ohio556 will become famous soon enoughOhio556 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Search for Explanations of the American Health Disadvantage Relative to the Engli

Originally Posted by Squirrel
My American husband didn't think much of public healthcare before he came to live with me in the UK (even though for several years he had no insurance which would have been a disaster had he been taken ill or injured at that time).

He's changed his mind now having experienced our healthcare system. He has no complaints, and he receives on-going treatment for his depression, plus he has had an ambulance to hospital with a kidney stone attack and was so grateful not to have to worry about paying for the treatment, filling in forms etc, when he was in so much pain.

I can never understand why Americans support public education but not public healthcare. I mean healthcare is actually more essential than education, you can choose not to have children but you usually can't choose not to be sick.

That's a logical fallacy, because people support one they should support the other... If you want to discuss why/how public education is unconstitutional and immoral then I'm game for that.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Search for Explanations of the American Health Disadvantage Relative to the Engli

Originally Posted by Squirrel
My American husband didn't think much of public healthcare before he came to live with me in the UK (even though for several years he had no insurance which would have been a disaster had he been taken ill or injured at that time).

He's changed his mind now having experienced our healthcare system. He has no complaints, and he receives on-going treatment for his depression, plus he has had an ambulance to hospital with a kidney stone attack and was so grateful not to have to worry about paying for the treatment, filling in forms etc, when he was in so much pain.

I can never understand why Americans support public education but not public healthcare. I mean healthcare is actually more essential than education, you can choose not to have children but you usually can't choose not to be sick.
Uh, I'm all for a better system for healthcare, for sure. But I don't think I'd want it run as public education is run......
Old May 31st 2011, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ohio556
That's a logical fallacy, because people support one they should support the other... If you want to discuss why/how public education is unconstitutional and immoral then I'm game for that.
I might be sorry I highlighted this.....
Old May 31st 2011, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Uh, I'm all for a better system for healthcare, for sure. But I don't think I'd want it run as public education is run......

Public health-care will be as efficient as the United States Postal Service and as cost-effective as the public education system...

The USA can be the envy of the world... Just print up twelve trillion new dollars worth of monopoly money and fund the program...
Old May 31st 2011, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

I might be sorry I highlighted this.....

What is the tenth plank of the communist platform outlined in the Communist Manifesto?

http://www.buildfreedom.com/tl/wua11.shtml

10. Free education for all children in public schools; Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form

------

* Gradual shift from private education to state funded education began in the New England States in the early 1800s.
* Smith-Lever Act of 1914.
* Smith-Hughes Act of 1917.
* Federal school lunch program, 1935.
* Fair Labor Standards Act, 1938 - children work only with government approval.
* National School Lunch Act of 1946.
* National Defense Education Act of 1958.
* Federal School Aid Act of 1965.

Communist percentage: 95%.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feed the troll.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Don't feed the troll.
+1
Old May 31st 2011, 7:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Police, army, fire service etc, all government run and for the most part seems to work okay though...
Old May 31st 2011, 7:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Public health-care will be as efficient as the United States Postal Service and as cost-effective as the public education system...

The USA can be the envy of the world... Just print up twelve trillion new dollars worth of monopoly money and fund the program...
Your paranoia must be crippling.

The US already spends more money per head than nearly every country on healthcare, yet they have a much lower percentage with adequate coverage, and that's a separate issue from those with no coverage.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Don't feed the troll.
Originally Posted by fatbrit
+1
See post#25!
Old May 31st 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

It is rationed by price. You get what you pay for.

In Britain there is non-price rationing. It doesn't matter what you can afford or what you are willing to pay for, if a bureaucrat doesn't approve it it isn't happening.
Absolutely wrong.
Frank R.